Top 10 of the best hockey skaters ever

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
And I literally mean skaters

1. Bobby Orr - he was probably the 1st player, who showed an importance of skating to the hockey world
2. Valery Kharlamov - he was probably the 2nd player, who showed an importance of skating to the hockey world
3. Mario L - he was so big and skated so smooth...
4. Sergei Makarov - he was so fast and agile, so didn't even need to stickhandle to beat defenders, and he was one of the best stickhandlers ever.
5. Connor McDavid - people say, he's fabulous, but I think, he's still too young to beat any of players above
6. Paver Bure - they called him Russian Rocket for a reason
7. Vyacheslav Fetisov - was probably considered the best D skater of post-Orr era
8. Paul Coffey - some people consider him the best D skater of post-Orr era
9. Sergei Fedorov - he skated great
10. Sidney Crosby - combination of speed and edge work makes him a really good skater.

Oh, well, Canadian and Soviet/Russian players only in my list, I'm probably kinda biased.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Here's an interesting sub-question: Who are the Top 10 (or Top 5) skaters pre-O6?

Morenz would be one of them—otherwise not sure. Have a feeling Harry Cameron would be up there too.

On top of my head : Morenz, Cameron, Taylor, Kilrea and Georges Mantha.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Lemieux, Crosby, Fetisov, Bure.

Fetisov was a very good skater. The same about Bure. As to Crosby, I think, he's an underrated skater. He has a good speed and probably even better agility - very-hard-to-counter combination.

As to Mario, he was very agile for his size as well. One of the reason for his greatness.

Reactions: Sentinel

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Fetisov was a very good skater. The same about Bure. As to Crosby, I think, he's an underrated skater. He has a good speed and probably even better agility - very-hard-to-counter combination.

As to Mario, he was very agile for his size as well. One of the reason for his greatness.

I'm pretty sure C1958 was alive and in his prime when these players were active.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I'm pretty sure C1958 was alive and in his prime when these players were active.

Well, I'm not as old as him, but still remember a lot from 70s hockey. Of course, I couldn't watch NHL back to then, but I watched all USSR vs Canada/NHL teams games. As to 60s, yeah, was too young to watch hockey at that time.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.

Crosby, Fetisov, very efficient skating geometry.

Bure, short shift skater, unique style that hurt his knees. Selective skater.

Lemieux, strong and mobile with the ability to create space. Selective skater.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
On top of my head : Morenz, Cameron, Taylor, Kilrea and Georges Mantha.
References like this puzzles me. Georges Mantha retired in 1940, still you claim to be able to assess his skating ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->