7- Steve Shutt
8- George Hainsworth
9- Jacques Lemaire
10- JC Tremblay

HM Koivu, Mahovlich, Laperrière, Ferguson, Carbonneau, Pitre, Boucher

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Simply put, you can't retire everyone's number. I think Toe Blake should never be forgotten and his name and number should be in the rafters.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Top 10 players who don't have their jersey retired by the Habs

1- Newsy Lalonde
2- Toe Blake
3- Bill Durnan
4- Aurel Joliat
5- Georges Vezina
6- Guy Lapointe
7- Steve Shutt
8- George Hainsworth
9- Jacques Lemaire
10- JC Tremblay

HM Koivu, Mahovlich, Laperrière, Ferguson, Carbonneau, Pitre, Boucher

Joliat is...well, sort of retired.

I expected something a bit more insightful, like, Provost, Johnson Mantha (Silvio) and Reardon. And... Boucher ? Billy ? Yikes.

Edit - Blake, obviously.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Joliat is...well, sort of retired.

I expected something a bit more insightful, like, Provost, Johnson Mantha (Silvio) and Reardon. And... Boucher ? Billy ? Yikes.

Edit - Blake, obviously.

Mantha is an omission and should get an HM. Reardon was great but not jersey retired great. Boucher was the team best player for years (edit: looking at stats, I might have overrated him, I guess he goes alongside Morenz and Joliat too well...)

Anyway, you're invited to do your top 10 too. :)

idk

Jan 11, 2012
The minimum requirement to have your number retired by the Canadiens should be to have your name in the Hall of Fame. That disqualifies J.C. Tremblay, Koivu (I don't foresee him making the HHoF), Little M, Ferguson, Carbonneau and Boucher. As for the others:

Lalonde: A very good player, but left the team under bad circumstances. Fought with his coach and with the owners and was unceremoniously dumped for nothing (an unknown prospect at the time named Aurel Joliat). Joliat went on to become popular with the Montreal fans and this aggravated Newsy so much that the first game he played against the Habs he tried to break his stick across Aurel's face.

Blake: A very good player, but how much of his reputation is based on his coaching skills - which far exceeded his skills as a player?

Durnan: On the basis of play alone Bill should be there. However his short career leaves him open to criticism as a selection.

Joliat: Another good, but not great player.

Vezina: Should be up there.

Lapointe/Shutt/Lemaire: A victim of their teammates. Lafleur, Cournoyer, Henri Richard, Serge Savard, Robinson, Gainey and Dryden all come from this era. Another three?

Frank Mahovlich: Didn't play long enough with us to warrant consideration.

Jacques Laperriere: Could be on the list, but he played through that deep time where the Canadiens have a lot of retired numbers. Also probably falls into the good, not great category.

Deidre Pitre: Probably could. He played a long time ago though...

thom

Mar 6, 2012
You know it took Bernie geoffrian over 40 yrs to have number retired and bouchard almost 60 yrs.We need to be careful who we retire.George Gillette was a good owner and so is Molson but they seem to be retiring too manynumbers maybe itstoo make more money i dont know but its time to stop for now.It will be emotional yrs down the road If Jacques Lemaire number is retired and Guy Lafleur is there to shake his hand and give him a hug.Dont know if it will happen but it would be a good story

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
The minimum requirement to have your number retired by the Canadiens should be to have your name in the Hall of Fame. That disqualifies J.C. Tremblay, Koivu (I don't foresee him making the HHoF), Little M, Ferguson, Carbonneau and Boucher. As for the others:

Lalonde: A very good player, but left the team under bad circumstances. Fought with his coach and with the owners and was unceremoniously dumped for nothing (an unknown prospect at the time named Aurel Joliat). Joliat went on to become popular with the Montreal fans and this aggravated Newsy so much that the first game he played against the Habs he tried to break his stick across Aurel's face.

Blake: A very good player, but how much of his reputation is based on his coaching skills - which far exceeded his skills as a player?

Durnan: On the basis of play alone Bill should be there. However his short career leaves him open to criticism as a selection.

Joliat: Another good, but not great player.

Vezina: Should be up there.

Lapointe/Shutt/Lemaire: A victim of their teammates. Lafleur, Cournoyer, Henri Richard, Serge Savard, Robinson, Gainey and Dryden all come from this era. Another three?

Frank Mahovlich: Didn't play long enough with us to warrant consideration.

Jacques Laperriere: Could be on the list, but he played through that deep time where the Canadiens have a lot of retired numbers. Also probably falls into the good, not great category.

Deidre Pitre: Probably could. He played a long time ago though...

Very good posting.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
How Vezina's number isn't yet retired is just baffling.

ding ding ding ding dingding ding
we have a winner
winner winner chicken dinner

unlike a previous poster. in actuality its:
1) Vezina
2) all the rest

Good enough to have the goaltending trophy named after him, not good enough for our rafters? seriously?

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
You know it took Bernie geoffrian over 40 yrs to have number retired and bouchard almost 60 yrs.We need to be careful who we retire.George Gillette was a good owner and so is Molson but they seem to be retiring too manynumbers maybe itstoo make more money i dont know but its time to stop for now.It will be emotional yrs down the road If Jacques Lemaire number is retired and Guy Lafleur is there to shake his hand and give him a hug.Dont know if it will happen but it would be a good story
I'm no way advocating the retirement of more jerseys. This list is just what it is. A list of the best of the rest.

Good list. How about Jack Laviolette?
Don't know how to rank him. Frankly, his numbers don't look that great. You'll say different era, which I agree, but then again, while he played for the Habs, it was in the NHA. He only played 1 season in the NHL.

BJG

Jul 30, 2005
Don't know how to rank him. Frankly, his numbers don't look that great. You'll say different era, which I agree, but then again, while he played for the Habs, it was in the NHA. He only played 1 season in the NHL.

From Wiki, FWIW: "Laviolette's true place in hockey history has less to do with his scoring prowess and more to do with his role as the true founding organizer of the Canadiens hockey club. He was their first player, coach and general manager in their inaugural 1910 season".

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
ding ding ding ding dingding ding
we have a winner
winner winner chicken dinner

unlike a previous poster. in actuality its:
1) Vezina
2) all the rest

Good enough to have the goaltending trophy named after him, not good enough for our rafters? seriously?

To play devils advocate, Vezina had a career NHL GAA of 3.28. Compare that with Dryden who had a career NHL GAA of 2.24.

In reality, Jacques Plante has the # 1 retired. Vezina wore the same number.

Sucks that Brian Hayward and Ron Tugnutt have no chance in hell at getting their # 1 retired either.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad