Top 10 Names in Philadelphia Flyers History

ericWONT

Ron Hakstol
Feb 7, 2014
Delaware/Philly
Random idea for a thread. But..

In your opinion, what are the top 10 most notable names that stick out to you in Flyers history? Who are the people that built this franchise and maintained it over the years? These guys can be players, coaches, GM's, front office personnel, etc.

My list to start it:

1. Bobby Clarke
2. Bernie Parent
3. Dave Schultz
4. Ed Snider
5. Rick Tocchet
6. Simon Gagne
7. Paul Holmgren
8. Mark Recchi
9. Eric Desjardins
10. Eric Lindros

Just curious to see what people have to say!

ericWONT

Ron Hakstol
Feb 7, 2014
Delaware/Philly
How is Lindros 10th espeically over guys he played with? Lindros was pretty much synamous with the Flyers during the 90's.

The point was to make your own if you disagree. I saw Lindros as 10th because of his relatively short-lived career. Agree to disagree, I guess.

Keith Allen should be way up there somewhere.

Oh, and Fred Shero too.

I probably could knock off a few guys for Shero. A lot of the other guys became front-office/managing figures as well, but after being coaches, and their names kind of lived on for both playing and coaching. Shero's tenure with the Flyers also was relatively short, albeit legendary and productive. All the guys in the cup era deserve a spot but the point was to narrow it down to 10.

Last edited:

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Clarke
Parent
Shero
Snider
Lindros
Schultz
Howe
Lindbergh
Allen/Desjardins/Leclair/Barber/Renberg/countless others I'm probably missing

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Beside the glaring omission of Fred Shero, other names are debatable. However, Gene Hart belongs on the list. He was the region's voice to a growing sport, a connection to an unmatched era and then a popular figure well beyond his passing.

Bill Barber is a Hall of Famer.

Without Rick MacLeish the Flyers probably don't win at least the first Cup and with him they could very well have won a third. He belongs on the list.

Also, an argument can be made about Kate Smith and the continuity with Lauren Hart.

Last edited:

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Beside the glaring omission of Fred Shero, other names are debatable. However, Gene Hart belongs on the list. He was the region's voice to a growing sport, a connection to an unmatched era and then a popular figure well beyond his passing.

Also, an argument can be made about Kate Smith and the continuity with Lauren Hart.

Yes, smith and gene hart should absolutely be on the list. My bad.

ericWONT

Ron Hakstol
Feb 7, 2014
Delaware/Philly
Yes, smith and gene hart should absolutely be on the list. My bad.

I agree with Kate Smith, absolutely.

Age definitely plays a factor. I'm only 19, so I'm interested to hear what some of the older members have to say. For me, I base most of my pre-90's thoughts on what I hear from my dad and other family of their experiences with the Flyers, and I hear more about the guys on the ice than Shero and Smith. Probably why I omitted (stupidly). However, the story of Kate Smith really was almost as important as the players in the 70's.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
1 Ed Snider
2 Keith Allen
3 Bobby Clarke
4 Fred Shero
5 Bernie Parent
6 Gene Hart
7 Eric Lindros
8 Bill Barber
9 Mark Howe
10 Dave Poulin

Keith Allen literally built the Cup winning teams. He's one of the most important people in the history of the Flyers. Barber and Howe because they're Hof'ers. Poulin because I think he was probably the 2nd best captain the team has had.

Honestly don't think Kate was that important. Back in the day they only played her before really important games, games that team would have been up for anyway. So I don't know how much of an effect she really had. And it was mostly just a recording anyway. Not like she did much of anything for the Flyers herself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad