Speculation: Top 10 Leafs scoring leaders for 2019-2020 - #4

Who will be #4 in points for Leafs in 2019-2020?

• Zach Hyman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kasperi Kapanen

• Andreas Johnsson

• Jake Muzzin

• Cody Ceci

• Travis Dermott

• Alex Kerfoot

• Ilya Mikheyev

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
It's that time of year again where we can speculate who will lead our team in points for the 2019-2020 season. I will do a poll for the next 10 days or so to determine who Leafs HF thinks will be our scoring leaders. This is also assuming Mitch Marner resigns and there are no significant roster changes.

Tavares takes the #3 spot based on your votes. Last year John had 47 goals, 41 assists for 88 points in 82 games. My guess is he scores 80-85 points over 82 games this season.

1. Auston Matthew (58.2% 124 votes)
2. Mitch Marner (63.5% 73 votes)
3. John Tavares (86.0% 49 votes)

My choice for #3 was William Nylander. So I'm going to re-up my vote and suggest that Nylander has 80-85 points this season.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Gets a little tricky here. I mean it should probably be Nylander but Rielly just scored over 70 points last year with Hainsey as his partner. I think these 2 will be close and Barrie also close.

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Gets a little tricky here. I mean it should probably be Nylander but Rielly just scored over 70 points last year with Hainsey as his partner. I think these 2 will be close and Barrie also close.
I have Reilly at 5 personally. This should be Nylander if he's playing with Matthew's for 82 games

Reactions: glue

Snip Genos

GO LEAFS GO
Jun 14, 2007
Ontario
Gotta go with Nylander here because I got him pencilled in on Matthews’s wing and if that happens all year, he should be close to ppg. Rielly is still our best offensive dman but I wonder if Barrie will steal some of his thunder and take some offensive opportunities away from him?

Reactions: Leafs1993

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Three way race. I could see Rielly, and/or Willie, Barrie scoring 70+.

Voted Nylander assuming he plays with a healthy Matthews.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Figure Rielly hit a pretty high number last year, it's possible there could be some regression. While Nylander should be breaking out soon and should be bouncing back. A combination of those things should see Willy edge Morgan over a full season.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I was about to ask why he had a vote

images

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Impossible to say between Rielly, Willy and Barrie.

This is best done as a tier thing

Matthews
Tavares
Mitch

Rielly
Barrie
Nylander

Kapanen
Johanson
Kerfoot
Hyman

The rest.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Not sure where to put this, so I'll put it here:

I was talking to someone in the Leafs organization, and tried not to poke and praud him too much, but we did talk a little bit of the Leafs and he made a comment about wanting to see what Matthews can do when he's healthy.

That makes me wonder how much he was playing hurt this season... it would make sense, since he did have a couple of dry spells, where he didn't produce much.

If I were to factor in a 100% healthy Matthews, no doubt he would be #1 on my list. However, if he shows a pattern of being hurt a lot, maybe we shouldn't expect him to be 100% all that often.

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Not sure where to put this, so I'll put it here:

I was talking to someone in the Leafs organization, and tried not to poke and praud him too much, but we did talk a little bit of the Leafs and he made a comment about wanting to see what Matthews can do when he's healthy.

That makes me wonder how much he was playing hurt this season... it would make sense, since he did have a couple of dry spells, where he didn't produce much.

If I were to factor in a 100% healthy Matthews, no doubt he would be #1 on my list. However, if he shows a pattern of being hurt a lot, maybe we shouldn't expect him to be 100% all that often.
Did they say anything about Marner negotiations?

A healthy Matthew's should lead our team in points, especially being the highest paid player on our team.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Did they say anything about Marner negotiations?

A healthy Matthew's should lead our team in points, especially being the highest paid player on our team.

Not really, a couple people (with a few drinks in them) brought it up, and he kind of brushed it off ;). Just thinks he wants to stay in Toronto and that he could make a lot of money from endorsements....

He was pretty politcal when it came to Leafs talks, its not like he has lot of knowledge of whats going on with contract negotiations and stuff.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I see Rielly falling back slightly to the 60 point range... Nylander will likely have 65-75 if he gets a full season with Matthews, if not more.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I was tempted to go Andreas Johnsson here, I think we'll be really pleased with what we have in him.

that said, I think Nylander shuts his critics up this year

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
I was tempted to go Andreas Johnsson here, I think we'll be really pleased with what we have in him.

that said, I think Nylander shuts his critics up this year
That's pretty off the board, I like it.

What makes you think Johnsson has more points then Reilly/Barrie or even Kapanen?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
That's pretty off the board, I like it.

What makes you think Johnsson has more points then Reilly/Barrie or even Kapanen?
Rielly rode some pretty unsustainable underlying rates last year so I see him back in the low-mid 60's, and I think he and Barrie cannibalize eachother a bit with the 4 forward PP sets.

I like the situation that Johnsson will play in, he's a terrific possession player and had some elite "per 60" production rates for long stretches last year. I won't be surprised if he's in the mid 60's at all

Kapanen just doesn't have the same offensive talent imo, he'll score just fine but he'll do it with a large volume of chances that he creates with his legs, a la Jason Blake

But I also won't be surprised if Nylander gets to the 85 mark, so he's a better bet

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Willy needs more points than Rielly just scored. A fair amount of points should be an average of 70 per season.
This last year, he only had 60% of the year so a fair distribution would be 45+75* 5 years. He only got to 27 so....
27+79*5.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Got to believe Nylander has a bounce back year.

Too much skill to not put up 70+ points.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Rielly rode some pretty unsustainable underlying rates last year so I see him back in the low-mid 60's, and I think he and Barrie cannibalize eachother a bit with the 4 forward PP sets.

I like the situation that Johnsson will play in, he's a terrific possession player and had some elite "per 60" production rates for long stretches last year. I won't be surprised if he's in the mid 60's at all

Kapanen just doesn't have the same offensive talent imo, he'll score just fine but he'll do it with a large volume of chances that he creates with his legs, a la Jason Blake

But I also won't be surprised if Nylander gets to the 85 mark, so he's a better bet

I think its reasonable to remind some who compare Kapanen to Blake is that Blake didn't start peaking until he was 29 and was a 60 pt player on the leafs, a feat that including a god awful 5% shooting percentage (Kappy scored the same amount of goals Blake would have on half the shots). That being the comparison, I think its a coin flip of whether or not he or Johnson score more points this year. IMO, Kappy is capable of peaking north of 60 next year at 23 just like his dad did at 24 and doesn't fire all his shots at the center of goalies chests as Blake was wont to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad