13. Jonathan Bernier - G - Lewiston, CAN
14. Matthew Corentto - D - Saginaw, CAN
15. Ivan Vishnevski - D - RUS 88, RUS
16. Tony Lagerstorm - LW - Sodertaljie, SWE
17. Jean-Christophe Blanchard - G - Moncton, CAN
18. David Ruzika - D - Kladno, CZE
19. Jordan Staal - D - Peterborough, CAN
20. Benjamin Breault - LW - Baie-Comeau, CAN

I like ur list more than mine. Nice to see Frolik at the top. i think he will be the best player from the czech republic since jagr. But I guess Mueller will be at least in the top 5.

uw15

Apr 10, 2002
Visit site
Anyone hear anything on which league Toews is headed to next year? Last week the Minnesota paper said he's down to North Dakota or Wisconsin if he chooses the college route.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
My list:

1. Jesse Joensuu Assat Left Wing
Power forward, great combo of skill, size and strength.

2. Philip Kessel US Under 18 Center
Extremely talented, pure sniper, great wheels.

3. Michael Frolik Kladno HC L. Wing
A can´t miss prospect with tremendous upside.

4. Peter Mueller US Under 18 Center
Leadership ability, great vision/playmaking skill.

5. Alexander Vasjunov Yaroslavl-2 R. Wing
Highly skilled, talented sniper, score from anywhere.

6. Bryan Little Barrie Center
Offensive whyz with the puck, makes things happen.

7. Jonathan Toews Sh.-St. Mary´s Center
Creative offensive player, soft hands, team leader.

8. Erik Johnson US Under 18 Defense
Blue-chip prospect, potential to be a dominating force.

9. Ben Maxwell Kootenay Center
Highly-skilled, offensively gifted, great speed.

10. Thomas Marcinko Kosice Jr. R. Wing
Scoring machine, has size and speed scouts look for.
Mueller will pass Kessel, ount on it!! More complete, tough and skilled. Big also!

X-SHARKIE

I think it's hard to argue that Michael Frolik is the #1 prospect for the 2006 draft, as he's beginning to seperate him self from Kessel and Joensuu....BUT Kessel is also making a big step for the #2 spot with his amainzg tournament play also.

Mueller well be a big cog in the line up for Minnesota next year, and with the shot and hands that kid has there is no way he won't go top 5, let alone possibly 2nd overall!

Mueller is a beat below the circles and in traffic areas, he dominates the rough stuff, From what I saw him of him vs Harvard he looks like he has elite skills, amazing shot, amazing hands he's got it, excellent one on one skills.

For the moment, IMO Kessel > Mueller, but this could be Americas best draft class in top end value in quite some time!

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
ktownhockey said:
Id have to say:
Phil Kessell
Jouensuu
Bryan Little
Ben Shutron
Maxwell
Ryan Macdonough
Bobby Hughes
John Hughes (if he ever gets it going)
Cody Emmerton
Michael Froelik

Just some names who are doing pretty well this year and are getting some respect...

McDonough won't go in the top 10 barring a huge season next year. He is extremely small although has good balance and is strong on his feet. He does have some pretty good offensive skills though and size is his only major pitfall. I like Shutron as well, looks like a very dependable guy at the back end. I think Cory McGillis could get in the early part of the first round. He is a big guy that had an injury for the first half of the season but is now back.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
1. Michael Frolik
An absolute bull of a kid. Before the WJC we heard that Mike had nice open-ice moves and finishing abilites, his goal against the Swiss really proved that notion.

2. Phil Kessel
Talented! I have to admit that this years WJC is the first I have seen of him, and I was a bit skeptical, but he's showing why he had so much hype surrounding him. Terrific shooting abilities.

3. Jesse Jonseu
Big, and strong. Solid offensive skills but not quite as good as Frolik and Kessel.

4. Peter Mueller
Freakishly mature for his age, Mueller reminds a lot of scouts of a younger Brendan Morrison.

5. Bryan Little
Scoring machine in the OHL. Little has some dazzling moves and nice finishing abilites around the net. Right-handed shot should help his stock.

6. Ben Maxwell
Extremely fast and extremely gifted. The North Van product played with Brule at the bantam level, and no doubt learned a few tips along the way.

7. Alexander Vasyunov
Standard Russian - highly skilled and rather cocky. Grigorenko is a good comparison

8. Jonathan Toews
Smallish center but very creative and smart. Known as a natural leader.

9. Jordan Staal
Some would say he's *already* better than brother Marc Staal, who's expected to be a 05' first rounder. Nuff' said.

10. Jonathan Bernier
Probably the best goalie for 06' so far. Raw athletic ability but not yet technically sound. Not suprising for a young guy.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Angry? I'm not angry, although alot of people are labeling me as such lately. In this instance, I was curious as to whether Finn's obvious allegiance had any bearing on his preferance when it comes to prospects.

And you being American doesn't have anything to do with you favoring Kessel? Get real :joker:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Apparently if Kessel goes the College route they are saying that he will not opt in to 2006 but be drafted in 2007 according to TSN BoB Mackenzie

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
monster_bertuzzi said:
3. Jesse Jonseu
Big, and strong. Solid offensive skills but not quite as good as Frolik and Kessel.
I am not sure we've seen enough of the senior-level player Joensuu to call him strong. It's still hard to see if he is a physical competitor at the senior level.

His skills and size should alone give him the #3 spot by default though.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Angry? I'm not angry, although alot of people are labeling me as such lately. In this instance, I was curious as to whether Finn's obvious allegiance had any bearing on his preferance when it comes to prospects.

You're the last person qualified to comment other peoples national biases as proved by your ultra-homeristic rampage in the last few weeks. Whether it's Schremp, Montoya, Kessel or the whole U.S team in general you have been hyping them non-stop and your act is getting little old.

One could make a good case for Joensuu to be ahead of Kessel and vice versa, at this point when we are 1½ years away from the draft it's basicly educated guessing at best.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
And with Finnish people having bias... It's more team based than nationality... Normally you wouldn't see any other than Ässät fans being enthusiastic about their players... But even fans from the other satakunta team and fans of pretty much all the teams see that this Joensuu guy is something special.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
mattihp said:
I am not sure we've seen enough of the senior-level player Joensuu to call him strong. It's still hard to see if he is a physical competitor at the senior level.

His skills and size should alone give him the #3 spot by default though.

The fact that he can handle himself among 20-30 year old full-pros without problems physically tells something.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
mattihp said:
a bit OT, which others of these players are senior level players?

I believe Michael Frolik plays in the Extraleague. And I remember reading somewhere that Vasyunov plays for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl. I might be wrong though...

A Good Flying Bird*

THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
My list:

1. Jesse Joensuu Assat Left Wing
Power forward, great combo of skill, size and strength.

2. Philip Kessel US Under 18 Center
Extremely talented, pure sniper, great wheels.

3. Michael Frolik Kladno HC L. Wing
A can´t miss prospect with tremendous upside.

4. Peter Mueller US Under 18 Center
Leadership ability, great vision/playmaking skill.

5. Alexander Vasjunov Yaroslavl-2 R. Wing
Highly skilled, talented sniper, score from anywhere.

6. Bryan Little Barrie Center
Offensive whyz with the puck, makes things happen.

7. Jonathan Toews Sh.-St. Mary´s Center
Creative offensive player, soft hands, team leader.

8. Erik Johnson US Under 18 Defense
Blue-chip prospect, potential to be a dominating force.

9. Ben Maxwell Kootenay Center
Highly-skilled, offensively gifted, great speed.

10. Thomas Marcinko Kosice Jr. R. Wing
Scoring machine, has size and speed scouts look for.

Not top 10, but one kid who impressed me from Finland is Robert Nyholm.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Newsguyone said:
Not top 10, but one kid who impressed me from Finland is Robert Nyholm.

http://www.hifkjrs.com/cgi-bin/jrs/2004persondata.cgi?jengi=2004asm&numero=16

"Nuori lupaus Pietarsaaresta, ikäluokkansa ehdotonta eliittiä. Esittänyt huimia otteita kesän aikana ja hakee tosissaan paikkaa vakiokokoonpanosta. Vahva, suoraviivainen ja röyhkeä maalintekijä. Tarkkailkaa"

Young promising player from Pietarsaari (Jakobstad), in the elite of his age group. Has performed exceptionally well during the summer and is seriously competing for a consistent starting spot. Strong, direct and arrogant (in front of goal) goalscorer. Keep an eye out for him"

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Raimo Sillanpää said:
direct and arrogant
sounds like the typical Pietarsaari boy ;)

For non-finns, Robert Nyholm is a swedish speaking finn, and quite racistically many of them are seen as the french (the american view of the french, a bit more racism in here ^^) of Finland, as in being arrogant, a bit selfish and inpolite.

I personally have never met an inpolite nor arrogant frenchman ^^

A Good Flying Bird*

Raimo Sillanpää said:
http://www.hifkjrs.com/cgi-bin/jrs/2004persondata.cgi?jengi=2004asm&numero=16

"Nuori lupaus Pietarsaaresta, ikäluokkansa ehdotonta eliittiä. Esittänyt huimia otteita kesän aikana ja hakee tosissaan paikkaa vakiokokoonpanosta. Vahva, suoraviivainen ja röyhkeä maalintekijä. Tarkkailkaa"

Young promising player from Pietarsaari (Jakobstad), in the elite of his age group. Has performed exceptionally well during the summer and is seriously competing for a consistent starting spot. Strong, direct and arrogant (in front of goal) goalscorer. Keep an eye out for him"

Nyholm was by far Finland's best player at the U18 4 Nations in Ann Arbor.
Lehtonen has more skill. But Nyholm is a physical force, a tenacious forchecker, suprisingly crafty with the puck, and he goes hard to the net and makes good passes.
Overall, he was far better than Lehtonen, who seemed to be hot dogging too much.
(However, when Lehtonon scraps the fancy-pants game and goes to net, he's a very good player.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad