Status
Not open for further replies.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Top 10 Defensemen...2005

1. Jack Johnson-Still hanging on #1

2. Marc Staal-I expect some will disgree here. This one is a hard choice.

3. Luc Bourdon-Another hard choice. I like his all around game. Sharkie has been high on him, and that at least tells me he is a safe pick. 6'2 200. Exceptional skating&willingness to play the body (McKeens) Val D'Or QMJHL

4. Ryan Parent-I think this guy has leapfrogged Kindl. He has a solid game 2g 17a for Guelph. Not an offensive star. 6'2 190. Above average size. Looks like a guy who will develop an aggressive game. He doubled his PIM's to 36 this year. + player.

5.Brian Lee-Rising guy who is probably a better pick than Kindl

6. Jakub Kindl-All the tools except fot the "attitude' of a defenseman. Has been a steady plus player, but you have to wish he used his body better. I'd love to see a team like Ottawa get hold of him and do the Chara thing.

7. Brendan Mikkelson-6'2 177 5G 10A and 60 PIM's Lefthanded shot from Portland Winter Hawks in WHL. Looks like a nice mix to me. Would love to know what Sharkie thinks of him. Looks like a late first and maybe a steal at that.

8. Matt Lashoff 6'2 198 Kitchener Rangers OHL. Solid numbers-Has gone up and down in rankings 4G 18A 44 PIM's.

9. Vitaly Anikeenko 6'4 ~200 Defensive style dman who was once thought possible Top10.

10. Teemu Laakso Talented Finn soime think will go in the first.

Some others like Dustin Kohn, Mike Gauthier, and even Devereaux Heshmatpour may have points. Who am I missing?

Last edited:

CurtisJD13

Feb 9, 2005
What about Michael Sauer? Maybe not a 1st rounder since he missed most of the season, but definately was projected as high as any of these guys. I'd look for him to be a definate steal, I think he's much better than Mikkelson.

32 GP, 2 G, 11 A, 10 PIMS...younger brother of Kurt Sauer (see Mighty Duck playoff run) and he's a right handed shot...something you don't see in many talented d-men today.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Dustin Kohn

Can someone remind me why this guy is not a top 5 defensive prospect? He put up 8G 35A 43 PTS 61 PIM's for Calgary in WHL. Not too shabby.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
A Lone Wolf said:
nah, that cant be true, as the that would mean Eric and Jared and the fourth one are nephews too, plus I never heard of it. And its spelt Marc, not Mark...

You have Jordan and Jarred. Rumour is Jarred may be the best of the bunch.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
CurtisJD13 said:
What about Michael Sauer? Maybe not a 1st rounder since he missed most of the season, but definately was projected as high as any of these guys. I'd look for him to be a definate steal, I think he's much better than Mikkelson.

32 GP, 2 G, 11 A, 10 PIMS...younger brother of Kurt Sauer (see Mighty Duck playoff run) and he's a right handed shot...something you don't see in many talented d-men today.

Recovering from hip surgery. Will keep an eye out. Not a top 10 guy at this time.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
1. Jack Johnson
2. Jakub Kindl
3. Marc Staal
4. Ryan Parent
5. Matt Lashoff
6. Luc Bourdon
7. Brian Lee
8. Teemu Laakso
9. Matt Niskanen
10. Risto Korhonen

blah

Jun 24, 2003
Any crease clearers going to be available late in the 1st round?

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
blah said:
Any crease clearers going to be available late in the 1st round?

I could see several most mid to late second like Mike Gauthier, Vitaly Anikeenko, and Dustin Kohn and Brendan Mikkelson might fit.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Mikkelson isn't much of a crease clearer. Gauthier and Jackson fit the bill.

His PIM's would indicate a chippy guy. Is he that or does he just take alot of dumb penalties?

pwil

Oct 9, 2004
I see both Mikkelson and Sauer play here in Portland all the time.Mikkelson is not a crease clearer,he is more of a puck rushing d man.Neither one is very physical. Personally I would take Sauer over Mikkelson.He is bigger,better offensivly,and very good positionally.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
pwil said:
I see both Mikkelson and Sauer play here in Portland all the time.Mikkelson is not a crease clearer,he is more of a puck rushing d man.Neither one is very physical. Personally I would take Sauer over Mikkelson.He is bigger,better offensivly,and very good positionally.

Thanks for the input. Sauer has the hip injury but is supposed to be back before camp, and his stats to date do not indicate he is a better offensive dman than Mikkelson. Where do Mikkelson's PIM's come from? Undisciplined play or is he somewhat aggressive?

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Mikkelson isn't much of a crease clearer. Gauthier and Jackson fit the bill.

Scott Jackson looks like this 72-6-16-22-46 6'4 198 Lefthanded shot. It seems like he has some decent puck skills. Seattle Thunderbirds in the WHL. My question is why isn't he ranked higher?

pwil

Oct 9, 2004
Well Sauer had two points less then Mikkelson in 38 fewer games that's why I said he is better offensivly.Some of that is probably because he was paired with Coburn.
Sauer played with the hip injury for like a year and half before he got it fixed.After he got the injured side fixed he had the other one operated on too.I am pretty sure that was a preventitive move as his injury was genetic and his brother Kurt had the same problem last year.As far as I know he will be ready for next season.I don't really see 60 pims as that much for Mikkelson.He is a top 4 dman and logs a decent amount of minutes.He had 4 fights so that takes care of a third of his pim total right there.I thought he would have a better year than he did after a good rookie year and a good u17 tournament.He might just be going through a sophmore jinx much like Michael Funk did last year for the Hawks.

IdiotsPickedMyName*

Not in the Top 10 but oscars bartulis would've gone in the first couple of rounds I think.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
pwil said:
Well Sauer had two points less then Mikkelson in 38 fewer games that's why I said he is better offensivly.Some of that is probably because he was paired with Coburn.
Sauer played with the hip injury for like a year and half before he got it fixed.After he got the injured side fixed he had the other one operated on too.I am pretty sure that was a preventitive move as his injury was genetic and his brother Kurt had the same problem last year.As far as I know he will be ready for next season.I don't really see 60 pims as that much for Mikkelson.He is a top 4 dman and logs a decent amount of minutes.He had 4 fights so that takes care of a third of his pim total right there.I thought he would have a better year than he did after a good rookie year and a good u17 tournament.He might just be going through a sophmore jinx much like Michael Funk did last year for the Hawks.

Good solid points. I still see Sauer going after Mikkelson. I could be wrong though! :]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad