Top 10 Centers in 5 Years?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Crosby is going to be 36 in 5 years, wouldn't be surprised if he's still in the top 10 by that point tbh.

I think I'd be more surprised if he wasn't.

I know youth is favored by many people here, but it's not like we don't have plenty of examples of elite players aging well and being among the best well into their mid-30's. Crosby is the kind of guy who you'd expect to make a list like that, because of his talent, drive, and dedication to fitness.

Reactions: cookiefest

Kappy

Jul 2, 2017
McDavid
Matthews
Scheifele
MacKinnon
Eichel
Barkov
Barzal
Point
Kuznetsov
Crosby

Nipsey

Aug 8, 2018
McDavid
Barkov
Matthews
Pettersson
Mackinnon
J. Hughes
Eichel
Scheifele
Barzal
Crosby

H.M - Draisaitl, Aho, Kuznetsov, Malkin, Point, Hischier, Seguin, Horvat, Kotkaniemi, Monahan.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
People don't think a guy like Crosby can still be a Top 10 center in 5 years time? Were guys like Sakic, Yzerman, Sundin, Thornton, etc. no longer Top 10 centers when they were 35/36 years old?
Oops! I forgot he’s only 30. Seems like he’s been around longer than that.
Definitely should be in the top 10 if he stays healthy. The generational guys tend to be really good even at that age.

bert2z

Dank budz and death metal.
Jan 22, 2013
Michigan
[Mod]
McDavid
Matthews
Echiel
MacKinnon
Barkov

I'd bet Larkin is in 5-10 in 5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
chytil
pettersson
mcdavid
barkov
matthews
mackinnon
kuznetsov
eichel
barzal
aho
hughes
scheifele
crosby

Reactions: Unsustainable

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
McDavid
Matthews
Barkov/MacKinnon
MacKinnon/Barkov
Eichel
Scheifele
Petterson
Hischier
Barzal
Kuznetsov

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I'd like to say Pettersson will be on the list but there is so much talent coming into the league each year, so much young talent right now, and hell Crosby, Malkin, Bergeron, Kopitar could still be on that list lol.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Some of you are acting like 5 years=10-15 years lmao
That's true. 5 years ago it was probably something like Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Tavares, Giroux, Getzlaf, Seguin, Backstrom, and two of Toews/Bergeron/Kopitar/Thornton/Datsyuk/Sedin.

At least 5 of those guys are still on the list today, no reason to think 5 or more guys on today's list won't be there still in 5 years. And probably more likely the inconsistent guys like Tavares, MacKinnon get booted than the guys getting long in the tooth.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

I know youth is favored by many people here, but it's not like we don't have plenty of examples of elite players aging well and being among the best well into their mid-30's. Crosby is the kind of guy who you'd expect to make a list like that, because of his talent, drive, and dedication to fitness.

He'll be up there for sure, I don't see him declining much until he's 37 to be honest.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
McDavid
MacKinnon
Barzal
Matthews
Crosby
Pettersson
Barkov
Kuznetzov
Seguin
Bäckström

Something like that. I mean it's hard to even solidify who are the top 10 centers now so it's a pretty impossible question to answer. Not even gonna bother with undrafted players. I mean wouldn't rule out a player like Malkin being a top 3 center in 5 years and still he doesn't make the list basically because he will be slightly older than for example Crosby.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

I think you underestimate how much players decline by then. Even Gretzky was a shell of his former self in his final stint with the rags. Conditioning helps players maintain a higher level longer but it also means there isnt much room to give up before you get lost in the pack. Player like jagr are outliers.

It's not impossible but the chances hes still at or even near the top of his game at 36 are not very high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->