Top 10 Best Games in Flyers-Penguins History.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Good list though Game 7 of the 1989 playoffs deserves mention especially when a reserve netminder plays a key role as a last hour starter. And it being on the road was added flavor. Game 7 road wins are rare and generally memorable.

I am not sure why the 35-game streak would be considered "infamous." Even opponents lauded the Flyers consecutive games streak without a loss.

Another game that likely gets overlooked because of so many possible choices came in 1980. Pittsburgh led 5-2 with half the game gone beforeBobby Clarke scored a SHG and a PPG within about 90 seconds to tie the score and then Mel Bridgman got the winner in the third period. What added to the intrigue was a Penguins' player had four goals that gave them a 5-2 lead. Then Clarke scored a hat trick in the second period to take over. Pittsburgh had eight straight power plays, too.

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
A list of mine would have to include the 2/20/13 game where the Flyers won 6-5 in Pittsburgh. This was probably one of the craziest regular-season games I've seen at the peak of this rivalry it was crazy.

Also I think there was a game vs Pitt five or six years ago where the Flyers erased a four goal deficit in the third and beat Pitt in OT or a SO.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I was in 4th grade during the 5 OT game, I had an early bedtime back then :laugh:. I remembering listening to it on the radio and last thing I remember is they were reviewing a goal I believe by Recchi. Game 6 in 2012 was also alot of fun, as was that entire series.

Game 6 in 2009 was definitely was the worst. Blew a 3 goal lead.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
I was in 4th grade during the 5 OT game, I had an early bedtime back then :laugh:. I remembering listening to it on the radio and last thing I remember is they were reviewing a goal I believe by Recchi. Game 6 in 2012 was also alot of fun, as was that entire series.

Game 6 in 2009 was definitely was the worst. Blew a 3 goal lead.

Yeah as bad as it would to be have been a Penguins fan during some of those 2012 series games I think game 6 in '09 was worse than that. I'll never forget how miserable that loss felt. Didn't help at all that the Pens won the Cup later on and that the Flyers could have easily made it to the Finals as well.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
Yeah as bad as it would to be have been a Penguins fan during some of those 2012 series games I think game 6 in '09 was worse than that. I'll never forget how miserable that loss felt. Didn't help at all that the Pens won the Cup later on and that the Flyers could have easily made it to the Finals as well.

Agreed, they came out like a bat outta hell then just utter collapse. They sat back and paid the price dearly. That was a talented team too, if they win that game, who knows what happens in game 7.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I was in 4th grade during the 5 OT game, I had an early bedtime back then :laugh:. I remembering listening to it on the radio and last thing I remember is they were reviewing a goal I believe by Recchi. Game 6 in 2012 was also alot of fun, as was that entire series. .

I remember getting home from work and I turned the tv on thinking the replay was on. I had set the VCR to end at midnight. when the game ended I remember running around the house yelling. dog was barking at me and woke up the wife. she wasn't impressed even tho she was happy they won.

member 30781

Good list though Game 7 of the 1989 playoffs deserves mention especially when a reserve netminder plays a key role as a last hour starter. And it being on the road was added flavor. Game 7 road wins are rare and generally memorable.

I am not sure why the 35-game streak would be considered "infamous." Even opponents lauded the Flyers consecutive games streak without a loss.

Another game that likely gets overlooked because of so many possible choices came in 1980. Pittsburgh led 5-2 with half the game gone beforeBobby Clarke scored a SHG and a PPG within about 90 seconds to tie the score and then Mel Bridgman got the winner in the third period. What added to the intrigue was a Penguins' player had four goals that gave them a 5-2 lead. Then Clarke scored a hat trick in the second period to take over. Pittsburgh had eight straight power plays, too.

Was supposed to be "famous". I suppose I misspelled it in WordPress (the system we use to post) and it changed the word to infamous. Will change it back. Thanks!

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Seriously. Last night was epic. I haven't seen the Well that crazy all year. Chalk it up as another wild Flyers victory of the Pens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad