Top 10 2012 Draft Prospects

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Yakupov, Grigorenko, Murray, Ebert, Frk, Galchenyuk, Marcantuoni, Reinhart, Pouliot, Reilly

Those seem to be the players most talked about as top 10 prospects in the 2012 draft.

Other players i've read as first round talents: Gaunce, Laughton, Trouba, Ceci, Ciampini

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
I wonder how the NTDP kids will progress by draft day 2012.

Seems like Samuelsson is off to a great start at U17 challenge, and he along with DiPauli, Koules, Kerdiles, and Vatrano are off to good starts up front this year.

In the back, it sounds like this is a really strong group. Trouba and Skjei seem like high end players. Jones is a late 94, and Carrick and Mermis are very good but undersized.

Interesting to see how they pan out.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I'm assuming the reason Eric Locke doesn't get a lot of talk is because of who he plays with and his size? Seems to be putting up an impressive rookie campaign.

Barbadian91

Evgeny Kuznetsov
Aug 4, 2009
Ontario
Yakupov, Grigorenko, Murray, Ebert, Frk, Galchenyuk, Marcantuoni, Reinhart, Pouliot, Reilly

Those seem to be the players most talked about as top 10 prospects in the 2012 draft.

Other players i've read as first round talents: Gaunce, Laughton, Trouba, Ceci, Ciampini

Went to highschool with his older brother cam who's a Avs prospect. I knew he got drafted 2nd overall by the bulls but I didn't know he was doing that well. Glad to hear hes doing so well.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I'm assuming the reason Eric Locke doesn't get a lot of talk is because of who he plays with and his size? Seems to be putting up an impressive rookie campaign.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
On D it is as deep if not deeper than the recent 2008 Draft.

I think its better.

My top 10 in no particular order:

Yakupov
Galchenyuk
Ebert
Murray
Reinhart
Matheson
Dumba
Marcantuoni
Frk

What about for forwards, i know yakupov is one but thats all I know.

Barbadian91

Evgeny Kuznetsov
Aug 4, 2009
Ontario
So a little better then this years draft maybe?

I'd say so. Id compare Yakupov to Kovalchuk (with less of an ego) and Golchenyuk to Hossa. Mikhail Grigorenko could be better then both of them but we don't really know because he's playing in Russia and says he isn't thinking about the NHL at all. The kid has the skill set and body to go 1st overall but the concern is wether or not he wants to play In the NHL.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
I'd say so. Id compare Yakupov to Kovalchuk (with less of an ego) and Golchenyuk to Hossa. Mikhail Grigorenko could be better then both of them but we don't really know because he's playing in Russia and says he isn't thinking about the NHL at all. The kid has the skill set and body to go 1st overall but the concern is wether or not he wants to play In the NHL.

Well this could be like another taylor tyler debate.

Golchenyuk seems like he would be a perfect match for Toronto then. He could fill that first line center position. I think they should throw away next season to get a first overall that actually makes this team a contender. Not to mention he is american which would encourage Burke to be after him.

Last edited:

jughead42*

He's having a great year, but he's not enough of a physical specimen to be seriously considered as a top prospect regardless of his numbers. He's fairly small, but doesn't have the sort of speed you'd expect a smaller top prospect to have. He gets a lot of goals by having a quick release and putting the puck on the net as frequently as possible. He has a good work ethic as well. He's a 13th round pick in the OHL draft, so his performance is really a pleasant surprise but I'd be stunned if he were a top NHL pick unless he has a Ryan Johansen like growth spurt.

Barbadian91

Evgeny Kuznetsov
Aug 4, 2009
Ontario
Well this could be like another taylor tyler debate.

Golchenyuk seems like he would be a perfect match for Toronto then. He could fill that first line center position. I think they should throw away next season to get a first overall that actually makes this team a contender. Not to mention he is american which would encourage Burke to be after him.

i think he could be had at the 5 position but yeah seems like a pretty good fit. in a few years a 1/2 punch or Golchenyuk and Kadri could look pretty good. I think he will be a stud.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
1. Murray
2. Yakupov
3. Grigorenko
4. Ebert
5. Reinhart
6. Galchenyuk
7. Frk
8. Reilly
9. Marcantuoni
10. Girgensons
11. Dumba
12. Campagna
13. Curcuruto
14. Ciampini
15. Koekkoek
16. Gaunce
17. Collberg
18. Forsberg

not actually in any real order just the top names as of right now

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
1. Murray
2. Yakupov
3. Grigorenko
4. Ebert
5. Reinhart
6. Galchenyuk
7. Frk
8. Reilly
9. Marcantuoni
10. Girgensons
11. Dumba
12. Campagna
13. Curcuruto
14. Ciampini
15. Koekkoek
16. Gaunce
17. Collberg
18. Forsberg

not actually in any real order just the top names as of right now

I have a hard time seeing Collberg and Forsberg fall so low, and there are a couple of other Swedes who should go in the first round as well.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
1. Nail Yakupov
2. Alex Galchenyuk
3. Nick Ebert
4. Ryan Murray
5. Mikhail Grigorenko
6. Griffin Reinhart
7. Martin Frk
8. Morgan Rielly
9. Matia Marcantuoni
10. Cristoval Nieves

yanokovich

May 31, 2008
Montreal
1-Zemgus Girgensons C/RW Dubuque Fighting Saints USHL 6'1 181 LAT
2-Alex Galchenyuk LW/C Sarnia Sting OHL 6'1 181 RUS/USA
3-Griffin Reinhart D Edmonton Oil Kings WHL 6'4 198 CAN
4-Nail Yakupov LW Sarnia Sting OHL 5'11 168 RUS
5-Slatter Koekkoek D Peterborough Petes OHL 6'2 183 CAN
6-Ryan Murray D Everett Silvertips WHL 6'0 190 CAN
7-Nick Ebert D Widsor Spitfires OHL 6'1 185 USA
8-Martin Frk RW Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 6'0 192 CZE
9-Mikhail Grigorenko C CSKA-Krasnaja Armija Moskva MHL 6'2 183 RUS
10-Morgan Rielly D Moose Jaw Warriors WHL 6'0 170 CAN
11-Matt Dumba D Red Deer Rebels WHL 5'11 165 CAN
12-Filip Forsberg LW Leksand J20 SuperElit 6'0 176 SWE
13-Derrick Pouliot D Portland Winterhawks WHL 5'11 170 CAN
14-Nikolai Prokhorkin LW/RW CSKA-Krasnaja Armija MHL 6'2 183 RUS
15-Sebastian Collberg LW/RW Frolunda J20 SuperElit 5'11 174 SWE

OilerOlli*

There should be a nice Defenseman available for the Oilers in the 2012 draft, although a lot smaller D's, but 16 years olds can still grow of course.
I hope for Reinhart, bit I don't know how hard te Oilers will suck next year.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com

Grigorenko will never be #1 pick. He plays in Russia now, and even if he'd get to play in the CHL the "Russian factor" will disqualify him from any chance of being first overall.
With that being said, for now I put him slightly over Yakupov. But I value centers more, I have to say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad