Top 10 2003-2004 take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
Sorry for the first tread (seem there was a problem of database...anyway)
I'm always interest in this kind of stuff, dont know if there was one done before but...

Just interested to know your top 10 if the 2003 and 2004 draft was merge...

mine:

1-Ovechkin
2-Malkin
3-Zherdev
4-Staal
5-Fleury
6-Horton
7-Vanek
8-Phaneuf
9-Barker
10-Michalek

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
CRAZY_FAN said:
Sorry for the first tread (seem there was a problem of database...anyway)
I'm always interest in this kind of stuff, dont know if there was one done before but...

Just interested to know your top 10 if the 2003 and 2004 draft was merge...

mine:

1-Ovechkin
2-Malkin
3-Zherdev
4-Staal
5-Fleury
6-Horton
7-Vanek
8-Phaneuf
9-Barker
10-Michalek

1. Ovechkin
2. Malkin
3. Fleury
4. Zherdev
5. Phaneuf
6. Horton
7. Staal
8. Barker
9. Michalek
10. Vanek

H3ro

Apr 24, 2003
Visit site
1-Ovechkin
2-Malkin
3-Zherdev
4-Phaneuf
5-Staal
6-Fleury
7-Barker
8-Bergeron
9-Horton
10-Kostitsyn

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
1. Ovechkin
2. Malkin
3. Fleury
4. Zherdev
5. Horton
6. Staal
7. Michalek
8. Suter
9. Phaneuf
10. Vanek

just to give you an idea of the 2003 top-end depth...

11. Coburn
12. Carter
13. Parise
14. Barker
15. Kastitsyn

15+17=Cup

Jul 14, 2004
1. Ovechkin
2. Zherdev
3. Malkin
4. Fleury
5. Horton
6. Staal
7. Phaneuf
8. Michalek
9. Vanek
10. Coburn/Barker tie

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Ovechkin
Zherdev
Malkin
Fleury
Staal
Horton
Phaneuf
Barker
Montoya
Suter

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Ovechkin
Malkin
Zherdev
Fleury
Phaneuf
Vanek
Staal
Horton
Barker
Suter/Michalek

Damn if 2003 doesnt turn out to be a great draft year for the first round

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
1 Alexander Ovechkin
2 Evgenii Malkin
3 Eric Staal
4 Nathan Horton
5 M-A Fleury
6 Nikolai Zherdev
7 Braydon Coburn
8 Andrei Kostitsyn
9 Dion Phaneuf
10 Ryan Suter

thestonedkoala

Kostitsyn? WTF has he done to get in the top 10?

1. Alexander Ovechkin
2. Evengii Malkin
3. Nikolai Zherdev
4. Marc-André Fleury
5. Eric Staal
6. Nathan Horton
7. Dion Phaneuf
8. Milan Michalek
9. Thomas Vanek
10. Cam Barker

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
stardog said:
Ovechkin
Malkin
Zherdev
Fleury
Phaneuf
Vanek
Staal
Horton
Barker
Suter/Michalek

Damn if 2003 doesnt turn out to be a great draft year for the first round

I'll bite. What has Phaneuf and Vanek done, Zherdev and Malkin too for that matter, that makes them more valuable than Eric Staal, who already has one really fine season under his belt at the NHL level? If the Calder Trophy was just for 18-19 year old players, it would have been close between Bergeron, Staal, Zherdev, and Horton. Where does Vanek deserve to be ranked higher than these players?

TVanek26*

Caniacforever said:
I'll bite. What has Phaneuf and Vanek done, Zherdev and Malkin too for that matter, that makes them more valuable than Eric Staal, who already has one really fine season under his belt at the NHL level? If the Calder Trophy was just for 18-19 year old players, it would have been close between Bergeron, Staal, Zherdev, and Horton. Where does Vanek deserve to be ranked higher than these players?

Homer alert

Eric Staal had a 31 point season as a rookie.He's played exactly 1 season.For players this young,it's all about long term potential.Staal played early on a horrible Hurricanes team,while Phaneuf and Vanek couldn't because of depth.So what if Bergeron had a great 1st season?People know that guys like Malkin and Vanek will have higher point totals when they actually play a season.

HockeyMan9

Jul 1, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Caniacforever said:

Staal - 31 points in 81 games
Zherdev - 34 points in 54 games

That's what Zherdev's done to be ranked above Staal, now as far as the other players go it's personal preference, whom that poster feels will have a better career.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
DanielBriere48 said:
Homer alert

Eric Staal had a 31 point season as a rookie.He's played exactly 1 season.For players this young,it's all about long term potential.Staal played early on a horrible Hurricanes team,while Phaneuf and Vanek couldn't because of depth.So what if Bergeron had a great 1st season?People know that guys like Malkin and Vanek will have higher point totals when they actually play a season.

It's Brad Nowell if you're talking about the lead singer of Sublime, in your avatar. If you already knew that, please disregard that. ;)

However, I don't feel that i'm being a homer by saying that. Vanek was drafted lower, has higher bust potential, and didn't even play in the NHL last season. How could one justify putting him above players like Horton and Staal is a little beyond me. Phaneuf in all likelyhood is going to be a fantastic defenseman at this level, but he doesn't have franchise player potential. Not a whole lot of defenseman prospects do. Very rarely do you come across a Chris Pronger, Rob Blake, or a Scott Stevens. Phaneuf is going to be fantastic, but i'd draft him in the 5-7 range in this combined draft that is so full of franchise players. Suter, while still great, is a step below Phaneuf in my opinion so that makes him around 6-8 on my list probably. The reason that Bergeron isn't being considered in these discussions is the fact that he was a 2nd round selection, and people don't think he has a considerable amount of upside. Staal was selected 2nd overall. To make the comparison between the two in terms of pre-draft value based on potential is a little ridiculous to me.

One season does not a career make, that's true. However, when you're dealing with a player who has already fairly established the fact that he's going to be a player at the NHL level at the tender age of 19 years old, you can't rank him below could-be's and might be's.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
HockeyMan9 said:
Staal - 31 points in 81 games
Zherdev - 34 points in 54 games

That's what Zherdev's done to be ranked above Staal, now as far as the other players go it's personal preference, whom that poster feels will have a better career.

I can understand that one, as people are usually more inclined to take offense over anything else. My beef was more with Vanek and a few of the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad