Waived: Tootoo Waived for Buyout

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
But again that's talking about even strength. It's a completely different ball game. The PK is almost completely based on structure. I have to believe that Tootoo, as a sane human being, has the ability to know and adjust his game for that type of structure.

I wasn't talking about even strength. I was talking about being able to think a defensive game in general, covering all situations, including the PK.

It's true that it's easier to be an effective PKer than a defensive whiz at even strength, but there's still some requisite ability there. And I don't see it in Tootoo. PKing isn't especially hard, but it's not so easy that 100% of NHLers can be effective at it, especially the ones who focus so hard on other aspects.... aspects that, in order to be good at, one has to sacrifice defensive responsibility.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I just fail to believe that he doesn't have the ability to play the PK. And unless I actually seen him out there chasing the puck around, flying out of his lanes, I won't be convinced that he couldn't.

And it just seems like such a simple way to have made him a more valuable player at some point throughout his career.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I just fail to believe that he doesn't have the ability to play the PK. And unless I actually seen him out there chasing the puck around, flying out of his lanes, I won't be convinced that he couldn't.

And it just seems like such a simple way to have made him a more valuable player at some point throughout his career.

In the end, we can't know, because we never saw him PK. I do love the idea of him being a good PKer and therefor a more valuable player. But the fact that he plays a style that is counterintuitive to a defensive game, has never been used on the PK, and has never really demonstrated any quality defensive ability leads me to believe that he's rightfully pretty low on the PK depth chart.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
and Yet we go after cleary. While tootoo isnt the best he brings more than cleary.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
and Yet we go after cleary. While tootoo isnt the best he brings more than cleary.

Neither belong on the roster. And it sounds like Cleary is open to a two-way deal. Tootoo, meanwhile, is determined to get a one-way contract. That's the difference.

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
Booooo... he never got a fair shake here, and i'm not sure why. He brought tenacity and grit, which by themselves made him worth the price of admission on a team SORELY lacking those elements. His fights and hits got me out of my seat. Now i'm left with nobody to supply a decent fight or big hit (you try Datsyuk, bless you) now that Kronwall has mostly retired from Kronwalling.

boooo, I say..boo!

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I thought Babcock would use him, he basically begged for exactly Tootoo that off-season. Oh well it wasn't meant to be, can say I lost a tremendous amount of respect for him watching him dog it in Grand Rapids. For an energy guy to not try was hard to watch and he was deservedly lower than 24th on our organizational forward chart by the end of last year. Would be surprised if someone gives him another contract though he does sell tickets, think maybe Vityaz should be all over him.

Tootoo should have demanded being a PK guy, but on his way up into the Preds he was a goal scoring fighter that didn't put in that work. Then the Preds promoted him and let him continue without developing that and once again he never demanded to learn it. So alas his career will be shortened by that, for a fast guy that is willing to give up his body it is amazing he never developed that trait and no team trusted him too. A part of it is he has the defensive positional understanding of a Bantam player. By the way that isn't original, that is actually what one of his old Milwaukee Admirals teammates said about him.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Holland could have cleared much more cap space by buying out Mule. :nod:

Only a difference of $2 million in cap.

Enough cap saved to acquire... two Tootoo's.

MpXgD7F.gif

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive · 4h
Jordin Tootoo cleared waivers today, paving way for compliance buyout from Wings.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
This sucks. Tootoo was a guy the Red Wings need. They are TERRIBLY soft. Last time I knew, there was still hitting in the league? Kronwall hasn't dished out much of anything lately. Abby only wants to hit in non NHL play apparently. It's sad to watch them get pushed around and people like Marchand hacking at Hank's back. Or Pavel get elbowed.

I always saw him first on the forecheck, and he wasn't afraid to put the puck on net. Honestly, given a fair chance, he can be a third liner and/or a PKer. He put up 30 points in Nashville before he came here. A line of like Abby/Helm/Tootoo would create havoc for defenses.

The guy drew penalties from his speed and agitating. Taking an occasional charge or interference was fine with me, it gets the team and crowd into it with that style of play, d-men would have their head on a swivel. Let's act like Abdelkader or Quincey don't take the dumbest penalties.

Best of luck Jordin. Back to the same ol' Kleenex soft team.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This sucks. Tootoo was a guy the Red Wings need. They are TERRIBLY soft. Last time I knew, there was still hitting in the league? Kronwall hasn't dished out much of anything lately. Abby only wants to hit in non NHL play apparently. It's sad to watch them get pushed around and people like Marchand hacking at Hank's back. Or Pavel get elbowed.

I always saw him first on the forecheck, and he wasn't afraid to put the puck on net. Honestly, given a fair chance, he can be a third liner and/or a PKer. He put up 30 points in Nashville before he came here. A line of like Abby/Helm/Tootoo would create havoc for defenses.

The guy drew penalties from his speed and agitating. Taking an occasional charge or interference was fine with me, it gets the team and crowd into it with that style of play, d-men would have their head on a swivel. Let's act like Abdelkader or Quincey don't take the dumbest penalties.

Best of luck Jordin. Back to the same ol' Kleenex soft team.

Name the moment and he did play several games where you though Tootoo just got that under control?

He watched our #1 D-man take a dude might be paralyzed hit in front of him and just allowed Ericsson to tackle and mop up. Seriously coasting right behind it and just watches.

Tootoo was a ferocious younger player, now that his entire hockey career is on the line he might be again. But he never learned a lot of skills that would have kept him in the league longer and he was always for the most part a staged fighter. This narrative on Tootoo the player that is thrown around here a lot isn't true. Fast forechecker to take himself out of the play, no special teams value, yes some silly penalties and a dose of toughness. Fan favorite sure, but not the player many discuss a 5'9" 200 lbs guy that could kind of fight, but didn't do it as often as many of his largest defenders said. He also is a worse fighter than Ericsson or Smith too, just for the record.

People talk about this guy like he is Mike McKee if he does pan out. Now that is a scary thought, start rooting for that Detroit fight fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad