Waived: Tootoo Waived for Buyout

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
As expected.

I still like him and thought it was a good signing but if he's not gonna play then no use burying the contract in GR when you have buyout to use.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
I liked him and wish he was played over some other players that had no reason to be on the ice (cleary cough). Hope he finds a new team to play for. Loved his energy.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I can't help but wonder why he's not a PKer. Like what prevents him from playing the PK effectively? Why hasn't he ever received that opportunity?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We used our buyouts on 2 of the players Holland signed from free agency in 2012. Yikes.

That said, I liked the Tootoo signing when it was done, I wished it worked out differently. I hope he can find an NHL job.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
he sits on the penalty box when his team is on PK.

Good one, but I'm serious.

For the record, the past 3 seasons Tootoo draws more penalties than he takes. It could be longer but I'm too lazy to look further. Despite a small sample size, his ratio was unbelievably good for us when he played last year. Basically the opposite of Cleary. And Cleary got PK time. Cleary lol.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Good one, but I'm serious.

For the record, the past 3 seasons Tootoo draws more penalties than he takes. It could be longer but I'm too lazy to look further. Despite a small sample size, his ratio was unbelievably good for us when he played last year. Basically the opposite of Cleary. And Cleary got PK time. Cleary lol.

I'd guess because all of his coaches have come to the same conclusion that he doesn't have the defensive instincts to be on the PK.

Why do you think he should be on the PK?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd guess because all of his coaches have come to the same conclusion that he doesn't have the defensive instincts to be on the PK.

I guess the better question is... Why did we expect that to be any different here?

He was never a Pk'er but was always a good energy/checking line player that played with a lot of pace and grit. If the deal breaker was he's an effective player that can't PK, why wasn't that considered beforehand?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

I don't buy it. What amazing defensive instincts are required to play the PK? The PK structure is something they literally draw on the board and is much simpler than playing even strength. That's why you can see guys who are average at best defensively at even strength be very effective on the PK.

Why should Tootoo play on the PK? What is Drew Miller without the PK? If Tootoo contributed on the PK he's simply more valuable. You can then not worry about only throwing him out there for so many minutes at even strength. He's more than just a energy 4th liner. He's quick and gritty. I see no reason why he couldn't be capable with proper coaching. He's only had two NHL coaches, and as we well know, coaches can be pretty set in their ways (stubborn.) So just because two guys didn't play him on the PK doesn't mean he couldn't have. Dan freaking Cleary played on the PK last year.

His reach and positioning. Speed can't compensate long sticks nowadays.

Reach? Marty St. Louis can PK. Brian Gionta plays the PK.

Positioning on the PK is not rocket science. Playing defense on the PK is a lot easier than even strength defensive positioning. You're basically in set positions and responsible for 2 small areas of ice in your own zone. That's why you can see superstars, Selke level players, and guys like Drew Miller and Joakim Andersson have a similar impact.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I wish there were more publicly available research on what makes one an effective penalty killer both for forwards and defenseman. There is so much noise in the current PK stats and you run into sample size issues, as well.

The power play is much easier to see and quantify the impact.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
And Samuelsson was a candidate as well if not for health.

I'd love to know what Holland was thinking.

You know exactly what he was thinking.

"Veteran's will help the Wings maintain the playoff streak."

The playoff streak has turned into a giant anchor. Must maintain the streak at all costs.

This allows him to argue that if the Wings just get in, they have a shot. That is completely true, but only for teams that are fundamentally sound. Wings do not fit that description. Bad teams don't win the cup.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I don't buy it. What amazing defensive instincts are required to play the PK? The PK structure is something they literally draw on the board and is much simpler than playing even strength. That's why you can see guys who are average at best defensively at even strength be very effective on the PK.

Why should Tootoo play on the PK? What is Drew Miller without the PK? If Tootoo contributed on the PK he's simply more valuable. You can then not worry about only throwing him out there for so many minutes at even strength. He's more than just a energy 4th liner. He's quick and gritty. I see no reason why he couldn't be capable with proper coaching. He's only had two NHL coaches, and as we well know, coaches can be pretty set in their ways (stubborn.) So just because two guys didn't play him on the PK doesn't mean he couldn't have. Dan freaking Cleary played on the PK last year.

Reach? Marty St. Louis can PK. Brian Gionta plays the PK.

Positioning on the PK is not rocket science. Playing defense on the PK is a lot easier than even strength defensive positioning. You're basically in set positions and responsible for 2 small areas of ice in your own zone. That's why you can see superstars, Selke level players, and guys like Drew Miller and Joakim Andersson have a similar impact.

Agreed. No one is scoffing at shorter guys like Helm and Draper PKing against the likes of Chara or Perry with their reach. And the PK is usually something that guys who have nothing else cling to in order to keep their NHL careers alive. That is basically why Drew Miller has an NHL career.

As for Tootoo, he's played for the Preds and Wings - two teams that have never really wanted for PKers. Had he come up through the Wings organization, my guess is he'd have been tutored a bit on PKing a la Cory Emmerton. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a PKer should he move to a team like Edmonton or Winnipeg.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Agreed. No one is scoffing at shorter guys like Helm and Draper PKing against the likes of Chara or Perry with their reach. And the PK is usually something that guys who have nothing else cling to in order to keep their NHL careers alive. That is basically why Drew Miller has an NHL career.

As for Tootoo, he's played for the Preds and Wings - two teams that have never really wanted for PKers. Had he come up through the Wings organization, my guess is he'd have been tutored a bit on PKing a la Cory Emmerton. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a PKer should he move to a team like Edmonton or Winnipeg.

the last time I brought Tootoo's lack of PK the gist seemed to be that Tootoo was able to make a name for himself throwing big hits and scoring in the lower leagues, and never concerned himself with learning any other skills. Since he doesn't have the abilities to continue to be a scorer, and he's never applied himself to learning other abilities, he's left with being an agitator. Unless he decides to change, I don't think he'll pick up any PK duties wherever he goes.

jaster

Might be back on probation.
Jun 8, 2007
I can't help but wonder why he's not a PKer. Like what prevents him from playing the PK effectively? Why hasn't he ever received that opportunity?

My take.... He runs around too much. He's not good positionally because, frankly, that's just not his game. He's out there causing havoc. Hitting, forechecking.... that's where his value lies, and it largely precludes him from thinking a defensive game.

Last edited:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
My take.... He runs around too much. He's not good positionally because, frankly, that's just not his game. He's out there causing havoc. Hitting, forechecking.... that's where his value lies, and it largely precludes him from thinking a defensive game.

But again that's talking about even strength. It's a completely different ball game. The PK is almost completely based on structure. I have to believe that Tootoo, as a sane human being, has the ability to know and adjust his game for that type of structure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad