Tootoo Question

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Did Tootoo ever PK and more importantly, any idea as to why he didn't take on that role to make himself more valuable?

To me it seems like a pretty simple way that he could have added some value to his game throughout his career. And I really don't seen any reason why he couldn't have been at the very least an average contributor on the PK, given it's fairly basic structure to learn and follow.

What's your take?

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
The rest of the team was killing HIS penalties. Not that he took a lot of dumb penalties, he was pretty effective at what he did. But his role was agitator, the Preds have always had a glut of quality PK guys so that is probably a big reason that he never had to go that route.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I wonder where the lil guy ends up now? He was an underdog's underdog - but towards the end of his time here, the quality of his play declined sharply.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
As long as we're talking about Toots, I'd bring him back and deep-six Clune. I know Clune has another year so see if you can include him as a piece part in another trade.

Toots brings more energy, he's a better fighter, and I think a better overall hockey players. He's also a fan favorite and would make coming to games more entertaining. He priced himself out of our market a few years ago but we can get him for Clune money now.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
As long as we're talking about Toots, I'd bring him back and deep-six Clune. I know Clune has another year so see if you can include him as a piece part in another trade.

Toots brings more energy, he's a better fighter, and I think a better overall hockey players. He's also a fan favorite and would make coming to games more entertaining. He priced himself out of our market a few years ago but we can get him for Clune money now.
this except I thought clune was signed for 2 more years

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Tootoo in reality is a dime a dozen player who thought he was worth more than he was then failed to deliver in accordance with his inflated price (including on his last contract as a Pred). Any thought of bringing him back when the goal is to reach or exceed the 06-07/11-12 levels of scoring relative to the league is completely counterproductive.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Tootoo in reality is a dime a dozen player who thought he was worth more than he was then failed to deliver in accordance with his inflated price (including on his last contract as a Pred). Any thought of bringing him back when the goal is to reach or exceed the 06-07/11-12 levels of scoring relative to the league is completely counterproductive.

You get my vote for best post on this thread. I agree 100%.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

His last season in Nashville he was paid $1.25 million and scored 6 goals and had 24 assists while averaging a little over 13 minutes a night.

Nystrom who is being paid $2.5 million scored 15 goals and had 6 assists while averaging 14:51 a night.

Gaustad who is being paid $3.25 million scored 10 goals and had 11 assists while averaging 13:48 a night.

So I'll ask the question, do we value goals more, assists more, overall point production, salary per point, point per minute, etc? Cause at the end of the day, I see 30 points versus 21 points and I see half the salary in one case and almost see 2/3 the salary in the other case and wonder, wow, was the production that far off? Nystrom and Goose play the PK but the PK hasn't been that great as of late so they're not helping there. Goose does well in the faceoff dot, he was 4th in the league last year, his percentage was only 5% higher than the 30th best faceoff guy in the league. That's 5 more faceoff wins out of 100 that he gets than a guy at 53%. Is his salary worth that much more?

Detroit overpaid for him no doubt but to sit and bash his contributions while looking at numbers of others who are way more overpaid than he is is foolish IMO. And while fighting is leaving the game, there is still a need for a guy who can go and we have no one like that on our team and other teams have taken advantage of that. A guy that can pot 30 points and defend his teammates is worth as much as what Nystrom and/or Goose brought to the team last year IMO. I get it, Goose does his thing, but so did Toots. Different things that they brought to the table but we could've had an entire 4th line for what we're paying Goose. I'd bring back Toots in a heartbeat if he wanted to come back.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
His last season in Nashville he was paid $1.25 million and scored 6 goals and had 24 assists while averaging a little over 13 minutes a night.

Nystrom who is being paid $2.5 million scored 15 goals and had 6 assists while averaging 14:51 a night.

Gaustad who is being paid $3.25 million scored 10 goals and had 11 assists while averaging 13:48 a night.

So I'll ask the question, do we value goals more, assists more, overall point production, salary per point, point per minute, etc? Cause at the end of the day, I see 30 points versus 21 points and I see half the salary in one case and almost see 2/3 the salary in the other case and wonder, wow, was the production that far off? Nystrom and Goose play the PK but the PK hasn't been that great as of late so they're not helping there. Goose does well in the faceoff dot, he was 4th in the league last year, his percentage was only 5% higher than the 30th best faceoff guy in the league. That's 5 more faceoff wins out of 100 that he gets than a guy at 53%. Is his salary worth that much more?

Detroit overpaid for him no doubt but to sit and bash his contributions while looking at numbers of others who are way more overpaid than he is is foolish IMO. And while fighting is leaving the game, there is still a need for a guy who can go and we have no one like that on our team and other teams have taken advantage of that. A guy that can pot 30 points and defend his teammates is worth as much as what Nystrom and/or Goose brought to the team last year IMO. I get it, Goose does his thing, but so did Toots. Different things that they brought to the table but we could've had an entire 4th line for what we're paying Goose. I'd bring back Toots in a heartbeat if he wanted to come back.

He was paid $1.35 mil in his final year. Let's not intermingle pay and cap hit. The team paid Nystrom $2mil.

Toots doesn't play special teams, both players you compare him to do. Toots is/was an energy guy ... nothing more, nothing less. His talent level is that of a tweener and the only reason he ever stuck in the league was a willingness to drop the gloves. His delusions of being more than that led to him wanting seven figure salaries when the going rate for goons is between league minimum and $1mil. He isn't Ott ... he doesn't compare talent wise to Avery ... he's really just a slightly better Hordichuk (now, that Hordichuck player was a point per game guy).

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
He was paid $1.35 mil in his final year. Let's not intermingle pay and cap hit. The team paid Nystrom $2mil.

Toots doesn't play special teams, both players you compare him to do. Toots is/was an energy guy ... nothing more, nothing less. His talent level is that of a tweener and the only reason he ever stuck in the league was a willingness to drop the gloves. His delusions of being more than that led to him wanting seven figure salaries when the going rate for goons is between league minimum and $1mil. He isn't Ott ... he doesn't compare talent wise to Avery ... he's really just a slightly better Hordichuk (now, that Hordichuck player was a point per game guy).

1. I said he didn't play special teams but our special teams have been nothing to write home about so why do we have those guys.

2. For a tweener as you call him, he out produced two guys who make more than him. So are the guys we pay more and play the PK worth that much more than him? If we were top 5 on the PK I'd say yes but as poor as we've been on the PK I don't see how Tootoo is so much worse of an option on the roster than Nystrom and Goose. I don't see enough in their games to justify their salaries for the production.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Glenn, Tootoo became a fan favorite to many that did not know very much about the game. He was exciting to watch and would drop the gloves quick in the early years. Talent wise he has never been more than a 4th liner. He had aspirations of being more than his talent would allow. This resulted in issues his last year here, and he sealed his fate with his comments to the media. He was incredibly lucky that Detroit gave him a contract. It did not take them long to figure out the mistake they had made. He spent nearly half of the first year there in the pressbox. Played in 11 games in the NHL last year was sent down to Grand Rapids clearing waivers to do so. Played 51 games in the AHL last season putting up 18 points. He problably should have been out of the game in 09 but we held on to him and gave him a two year contract at the end of 2010 he was given far more chances than any player I can remember here. He was allowed to play in every situation and could not excel.

He is now 31 years old without a professional contract and not likley to get another one even in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad