Too small, perimeter shooting, bad defense

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Because it's not exactly "standard" to enter a season where 2 or 3 of your players are injured long term. Plus it doesn't help that most of our injuries right now are to players that bring a little sandpaper to their game (with the exception of Patch and Briere) that could really give the team a boost in that department.

Dude, this has happened every year ive been a habs fan since 2008-09.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Keaton Ellerby, 24, 6' 5", waived: LINK

Anything to see here?

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
If you look at the core of this team going forward, its not bad situation. Only Gallagher is the really small player out of the core and I don't mind him because he finds a way to make it work all over the ice. He's probably the most intense competitor we have on top of it all.

Guys like briere, gionta, and bouillon are not here for long and are not part of the future core. Desharnais is the frustrating case right now, but other than that, the habs are set up pretty well going forward

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
We've been drafting with size in mind in the first round for a few years now. We still draft a lot of "smurfs", but that's because we have a great track record of finding guys other teams ignored solely because of height. Look at Gallagher.

Even Desharnais, say what you want about him, he's still better than countless guys drafted every year. After all, he did more in the NHL than David Fischer could ever dream of. He was a great find, if only we sold high on him instead of extending him.

The team is still in the middle of something of an identity crisis, but I'd rather do the best with what we have than panic trade to get taller. I supported the Cammalleri trade, but we don't need more Bourques, the move mainly made sense at the time to clear up cap space and eventually pave the way for younger players.

djpass

It's not that bad after this year...

1- Bouillon is most likely playing his last year in the NHL.
2- Gionta is also playing his last year in Mtl.
3- I'm convinced that Bergevin will trade Diaz at the trade deadline.
4- Brière only has 1 year after this one.

The only real problem they have now is Desharnais. If they trade him, they'll most likely have to accept an equivalent bad contract in return...

chdoom

Nov 2, 2013
The team is still in the middle of something of an identity crisis, but I'd rather do the best with what we have than panic trade to get taller. I supported the Cammalleri trade, but we don't need more Bourques, the move mainly made sense at the time to clear up cap space and eventually pave the way for younger players.

This. Right now, this team got too much of the same kind of player. They are in an indentity crisis. MB said that he want to build his team from the draft. We've got to be patient.

penalty shot*

We at HFboards have said it for countless years. We are just too small. Every year its the same thing over and over and over. Koivu era, Cammalleri, Gomez, Gionta era and now Briere, Desharnais era. What I hate the most is that guys like Desharnais is allowed to play 17 minutes a game and has 1 point in 11 games. He cannot do anything without Pacioretty and Cole. Many scouts were right to put him in ECHL and we were stupid enough to give him a 4 year deal at $3.5 mil per. Instead of picking up Gomez for free as NYR was gonna buy him out anyways, we gave up Higgins, Mcdonagh. Then we go out sign 5'7" 140lbs Boullion, 5'5" 120lbs Diaz. We gave 5'1" 100lbs Gionta the captaincy. We find out we lack size and so we can only score with perimeter shots. Today's game was like a playoff game against Western teams. How much more clear can this get? We need to trade Gionta, Briere, Desharnais, Boullion, Diaz.

agreed but what I cant understand is this

MB came from a contender in Chicago , he sees what it takes to win

so why DD , Briere , these must be Molson`S moves

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
It's not that bad after this year...

1- Bouillon is most likely playing his last year in the NHL.
2- Gionta is also playing his last year in Mtl.
3- I'm convinced that Bergevin will trade Diaz at the trade deadline.
4- Brière only has 1 year after this one.

The only real problem they have now is Desharnais. If they trade him, they'll most likely have to accept an equivalent bad contract in return...

Or you can simply send him to the minors through waviers and then bring him back and pay 1/2 his salary for this year.

Drafting guys like Crisp and McCarron tells me that MB knows that we are too small. Having guys like Mellanby in the front office tells me that MB has front office people who know that physicality is important.

The issue ladies and gentleman is that this is not going to happen overnight. Although MB shouldn't have signed DD, he had just posted 60 points and the line of Patches--DD--Cole carried us most of that year.

What I find interesting is MB comments last year; to paraphrase "their are players that get you to the playoffs, and there are players that get you through the playoffs"

We have a lot of players that MAY get us to the playoffs, but few that will make it thorough a tough physical 16 wins to get to the cup.

We can't complete against teams like the Bruins, Blues, Sharks, Ducks, Kings ...yet.

Patience .... yes I know it's been 21 years, but what choice do you have? :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad