Too small, perimeter shooting, bad defense

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by rockjngo, Oct 26, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. rockjngo

rockjngo Registered User

We at HFboards have said it for countless years. We are just too small. Every year its the same thing over and over and over. Koivu era, Cammalleri, Gomez, Gionta era and now Briere, Desharnais era. What I hate the most is that guys like Desharnais is allowed to play 17 minutes a game and has 1 point in 11 games. He cannot do anything without Pacioretty and Cole. Many scouts were right to put him in ECHL and we were stupid enough to give him a 4 year deal at $3.5 mil per. Instead of picking up Gomez for free as NYR was gonna buy him out anyways, we gave up Higgins, Mcdonagh. Then we go out sign 5'7" 140lbs Boullion, 5'5" 120lbs Diaz. We gave 5'1" 100lbs Gionta the captaincy. We find out we lack size and so we can only score with perimeter shots. Today's game was like a playoff game against Western teams. How much more clear can this get? We need to trade Gionta, Briere, Desharnais, Boullion, Diaz.

2. kassian

kassian Registered User

Good news is that Gionta's contract is expiring, DD will most likely not finish the season if he keeps sucking and Cube's likely to retire next year.

Also, once the injured come back, this team won't look so small anymore. We're talking about the likes of Parros, Pac, Prust, Emelin and Murray all coming back. Now that'll facelift the lineup.

3. Tyson

Tyson Registered User

MT won't sit Bouillon or Diaz so the story continues.

4. Price My Man Crush

Price My Man Crush Registered User

I wanna ****ing cry right now. Can I?

5. Church

Church The last lion

Project manager
    DD should take exemple on Briere and fake a concussion to stay out of the lineup. At least Briere understood that.

And yes, I do believe Briere sort of made it work so that he could stay out of the line up before **** hits the fan in Montreal

6. endo519

endo519 Registered User

who are we kidding this is Montreal. DD will Prob be here for another 2-3years. Gionta will be re-signed.Briere will be extended for another 5 years, and we will sign Gerbe, Ennis,

7. Church

Church The last lion

Project manager
    I puked a little in my mouth

8. Feintastic

Feintastic Registered User

Even with these players the club will still sucks, well...its not ''bad'' team but when they're facing a real good hockey club like the Sharks they just cant do nothing. Their play is boring to watch also. The Canadiens...they're just not good enough...Marc Bergevin has ALOT of work to do, he done nothing to improve seriously the club so far if ur honest with urself, ok ok only good move is Prust. Parros is a 13th foward, Murray is slow as a turtle from what ive seen in the past years I dont even want him to play, rather give experience to a young guy and we dont even care about Briere the dwarf. Even with Patch(i like him) our top6 is still too small... Oh and I dont care about the loss of tonight honestly ! Im not changing my point of view when they win or they lose I dont even care I expect nothing from this average team...The habs just sucks ! Its a small team(everybody know) with limited talent. They cant take a shot at the goal unless its from the blue line...they cant create offense... in their own zone they're good but they just cant create nothing offensively with the smurfs village/lack of talent. Perimeter shots...perimeter...perimeter....perimeterzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzz... BORING !!! But hey hurry up ! Re-sign Brian Gionta for another 5 years HE IS SUCH A LEADER ! Really... Gionta, Brière, Desharnais, Plekanec, Gallagher, Diaz, Bouillon, Gorges... that team is all about small players. Keeping one small guy like Gallagher its aight but hey...its just too much.

The road to the cup will be long, we have some good players to build around(Gallies, Subban, Price, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Bournival, Eller..etc..) Wake Up Bergevin... !

I would rather see 'em finish at the bottom of the ranking to pick the best prospect possible than seeing em making the playoff... they have zero chance to win a cup with this midgets club.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  9. missthenet

missthenet Registered User

Home Page:
    You are right we have some good players the unfortunate side to that is we have been rebuilding for 8 years and we are not a whole lot better than we were then. We have poor asset management to deal with, we are way to small up front. We do not have the management with enough balls to make deals like Boston have in the past, like Toronto have, like Ottawa have. And we have a coach that cannot adjust during the game except to sit one of our offensive defensemen in the third period when we need a goal. We have injuries which do not help but what we lack is the management to make the hard decisions that have not been made in the past and continue to plague us like signing Briere, Desharnais extension, Bouillion extension

10. TennisMenace

TennisMenace Registered User

Attorney
    Your words sound good, but we all know the Habs and their infatuation for smurfs who they think are fast.

11. LeMAD

LeMAD Registered User

Home Page:
    Both are actually doing a pretty decent job, but we had trouble drafting quality dmen in the past and we are paying the price right now.

And you can't sit either of them since we have no other options right now.

12. Connor McJesus

Connor McJesus Praise

Sending a player in the AHL doesn't clear his whole cap hit like it used to, right ?

13. anonymous9739872329

anonymous9739872329 Registered User

Student in engineering
    We lost a game against the best team in the league. Let's trade everyone.

14. andy28

andy28 Registered User

The problem with that game is we didn't just lose. We were totally ineffective all night. They are a good team, but also a good team with quite a few key injuries and our group of forwards looked really weak. Not just skillwise, but they were unable to do anything for most of the night. Lots of lost board battles and perimeter play.

15. That's insurance fraud you are promoting, which is a criminal act. I hope you realize that and stop arguing in its favor.

16. Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy RIP Fugu

Keep it in perspective.

We're still on the right track. Good young team on the way up. No doubt we've got things to work on and there's no doubt that our GM did us no favours this offseason but we've got a good young core.

Briere, Bouillion and DD all need to go. We're probably stuck with Briere until the end of his contract but we've got to do something about the other two. We're just too small.

In the grand scheme of things though, I don't think we're in that bad of shape. Max, Price, PK, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher... that's a good group to start with. If Bealieu and Tinordi can pan out things look even better.

In the short term though, no doubt we have holes. Up front and on the D. We need to get bigger and stronger. If we do this we'll be in good shape.

17. hockeyfan2k11

hockeyfan2k11 Registered User

There are many who still think we're not small and soft, though.

18. rockjngo

rockjngo Registered User

I think Eller might be part of a package if we want to get rid of DD.

19. Odelein24

Odelein24 Registered User

Welder/Arena Staff
    No thx.

20. AJMHABS

AJMHABS Chucky #27

Student
    That would be a very dark path to cross.:help:

21. AJMHABS

AJMHABS Chucky #27

Student
    Nope, not happening.

22. Kimota

Kimota ROY DU NORD!!!

KING
    Did I imagine things or last year our defense was not that bad? Anyway the puck used to go out of our zone much quicker.

23. Saundies

Saundies Registered User

Alright easy.

This line-up looks a lot worse with all of the injuries. To say things like we're not even a good team healthy is brutal. Our projected line-up when healthy:

Galch - Eller - Gally
    Patches - Pleks - Gio
    Bournival - DD/Briere - Bourque
    Prust - DD/Briere - Moen (White, Parros)

PK - Markov
    Emelin - Gorges
    Murray - Diaz

When you have a guy like Prust who's playing on your 4th line but can still fill into the line up when needed, that's a good thing. We have good depth, we're just really decimated right now. I hope we can stick around .500 until all of these guys are ready to come back and then I think we'll really see what this team is capable of. Without Prust, Emelin, Murray, and Parros our team has no jam right now. That's the reason for most of the perimeter play you're seeing.

24. DAChampion

DAChampion Registered User

How relevant is this concept of the "healthy lineup"?

What matters is what the team looks like under standard conditions -- with 2 or 3 injuries or more.

25. Saundies

Saundies Registered User

Because it's not exactly "standard" to enter a season where 2 or 3 of your players are injured long term. Plus it doesn't help that most of our injuries right now are to players that bring a little sandpaper to their game (with the exception of Patch and Briere) that could really give the team a boost in that department.