Too many playmakers?

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
Starting to wonder if this is true...We have 1 line at the moment

Andrew Allsman @allsmandrew · 4h 4 hours ago
At some point, it was inevitable. When one line accounts for 44% of the offense, it eventually leads to problems.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
No, it's still just Lehtera, Stastny, and Oshie as primary playmakers. Schwartz can score just as well as he can create.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
What about the buy-in?

Sounds about right, lol. For, what, 10 years now we've been hearing two words over and over again: "buy-in" and "leadership." At some point we just need guys who can, you know, "perform" and "take accountability" for their lack of results. Right now only one line is giving us that, our goalies are being hanged out to dry by a passive defense, and we're looking squarely at the same players year after year for the inefficiencies and inadequacies on all of the buzzwords above.

BluesTraveller

Mar 5, 2012
St Louis
Too often when Steen was paired up with Lindstrom, he would pass up shots to get the puck to Lindstrom. Steen needs to shoot, and shoot a lot more. With Stastny and Oshie on the line with him now, he is the only real shooter out there.

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
There's a goal scorer ready to go in Chicago

Chicago pulled even at 8:39 of the second on Rattie’s AHL-best 11th goal of the year. Pat Cannone claimed the puck along the end wall, swung out along the right boards and spied Rattie open in the slot for a quick wrister.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Last season Blues problem was that we didn't have 'real' 2nd C. Now we have problem that our 3rd (Stastny) wont produce anything and Paul haven't right linemates. Give Stastny (+Jocke) time to blend in this team and Feb-March we seriously can see what is situation with these guys and do we need upgrade Jocke.

IMO I'm not concerned at all SOB line, they will step up when spring comes. Also some itch feeling that Backs and Osh aren't yet 100% fit after those concussions.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
I'm confident that Steen-Backes-Oshie could return to being a dominant line. The problem is that keeping that line together leaves Stastny with the toys that nobody else wants.

Honestly though, we really need to get Backes/Oshie going, so I'd like to see Steen mainstay that line again. They aren't handling all of this juggling well. At least get us two strong lines and then we can figure out Paul's line as we go. I'm not at all opposed to giving Rattie a shot with him...

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I wouldn't be opposed to putting the SOB line back together. The problem is it makes the third line much weaker. If the SOB line goes back to playing like they did last year, I think it may be a moot point. If we decided to do that, I imagine the lines would look something like:
Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Steen-Oshie-Backes
Berglund-Stastny-Lindstrom
Ott-Lappiere-Reaves

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I wouldn't be opposed to putting the SOB line back together. The problem is it makes the third line much weaker. If the SOB line goes back to playing like they did last year, I think it may be a moot point. If we decided to do that, I imagine the lines would look something like:
Steen-Oshie-Backes
Berglund-Stastny-LindstromOtt-Lappiere-Reaves

I agree with re-uniting the SOB line, and yes, it leaves Stastny with weaker partners. I know it's early, but I'm almost ready to give up on the Lindstrom experiment. How about Bergs-Stats-Jaskin? I know there's not a lot of speed there, but Jaskin could create havoc while Stastny gets more room to be more creative and Bergy heads to the crease?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I agree with re-uniting the SOB line, and yes, it leaves Stastny with weaker partners. I know it's early, but I'm almost ready to give up on the Lindstrom experiment. How about Bergs-Stats-Jaskin? I know there's not a lot of speed there, but Jaskin could create havoc while Stastny gets more room to be more creative and Bergy heads to the crease?

I wouldn't be opposed, but Jaskin's skating has left me less than impressed. I thought he'd have improved more. Truth be told, I'm about ready to give up on Lindstrom. I wouldn't mind seeing Paajarvi get a little more of a look in his spot. I think he's looked noticeably better than last year.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Steen-Oshie-Backes
Berglund-Stastny-Lindstrom
Ott-Lappiere-Reaves
I honestly don't see that as a problem. If the SOB line returns to the form we know it can perform at, that's a ridiculous top 6. And a very good 4th-line.

Who cares if the 3rd line is weaker? Seriously, at this point who cares? Stastny and Berglund are still good enough defensively that as long as they aren't getting scored on a ton, it shouldn't be a complete abomination. And they shouldn't be getting scored on that much. Plus maybe Stastny can make Berglund score a little more. It's worth a shot.

With Berglund being who he is, and a hole on the right side - whether it's Paajarvi or Lindstrom - we're not going to have all 3 lines in the top 9 firing on all cylinders. I just don't think it's going to happen. You can keep mixing and matching all you want but that's not really going to do anything. Lindstrom, Paajarvi and Berglund are who they are... right now, that being the weak links. Berglund less so than the other two but my point should be clear.

It's really no different than any other season. There's always one or two lines that carry the scoring. If we had all 3 lines dominating we'd be scoring 4 goals a game and winning every game. That doesn't happen in the NHL. Players will struggle, and other teams aren't cakewalks.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I honestly don't see that as a problem. If the SOB line returns to the form we know it can perform at, that's a ridiculous top 6. And a very good 4th-line.

Who cares if the 3rd line is weaker
? Seriously, at this point who cares? Stastny and Berglund are still good enough defensively that as long as they aren't getting scored on a ton, it shouldn't be a complete abomination. And they shouldn't be getting scored on that much. Plus maybe Stastny can make Berglund score a little more. It's worth a shot.

With Berglund being who he is, and a hole on the right side - whether it's Paajarvi or Lindstrom - we're not going to have all 3 lines in the top 9 firing on all cylinders. I just don't think it's going to happen. You can keep mixing and matching all you want but that's not really going to do anything. Lindstrom, Paajarvi and Berglund are who they are... right now, that being the weak links. Berglund less so than the other two but my point should be clear.

It's really no different than any other season. There's always one or two lines that carry the scoring. If we had all 3 lines dominating we'd be scoring 4 goals a game and winning every game. That doesn't happen in the NHL. Players will struggle, and other teams aren't cakewalks.

That was exactly the point I was trying to make. I want them put back together to see if we can get them all going at the same time. You can carry a weaker third line if your top six is as good as ours has the potential to be. If we put SOB back together, I want Jaskin back up and to get some time on the third line. Run Berglund-Stastny-Jaskin. Tell Berglund that his one job is to be the trigger man and park Jaskin in front of the net to clean up the trash. I actually think Stastny could do Berglund a lot of good.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
That was exactly the point I was trying to make. I want them put back together to see if we can get them all going at the same time. You can carry a weaker third line if your top six is as good as ours has the potential to be. If we put SOB back together, I want Jaskin back up and to get some time on the third line. Run Berglund-Stastny-Jaskin. Tell Berglund that his one job is to be the trigger man and park Jaskin in front of the net to clean up the trash. I actually think Stastny could do Berglund a lot of good.
I agree, and I don't even think that 3rd line would be that bad.

Since our other 3 lines should come close to dominating their opposing lines, we can afford to have a 3rd-line that isn't as good. And with our 3rd-line RW being a question mark anyways we're just gonna have to deal with that for the time being.

RR10*

I would seriously consider something like this:

Steen - Lehtera - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Stastny - Oshie
Berglund - Backes - Jaskin
Ott - Lapierre - Reaves

Schwartz might be the ignition Stastny need and STL will still dominate with Steen. Third is meh but you can't have it all.

Or call up Rattie:

Schwartz - Lehtera - Tarasenko
Steen - Stastny - Rattie
Berglund - Backes - Oshie
Ott - Lapierre - Reaves

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
Schwartz might be the ignition Stastny need and STL will still dominate with Steen. Third is meh but you can't have it all.

Personally I want Hitch to keep Schwartz - Lehtera - Tarasenko together for the rest of the year. That should be ironclad.

RR10*

The STL line should not be touched. You don't mess with a line that's playing the kind of hockey they are.
Agree. But if Stastny keeps underperforming, Schwartz is the guy to get him going. Can't have a $7 mill guy on the third with non productive guys like Lindstrom and Berglund.

If Rattie continues to rack up goals he should get a call.

Schwartz - Lehtera - Tarasenko
Steen - Stastny - Rattie
Berglund - Backes - Oshie
Ott - Lapierre - Reaves

If not...Steen - Stastny - Oshie would be a good second line.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
As it pertains to Rattie, just need to get him with players that'll give him the room he needs.

Steen-Stastny-Rattie

Or

Berglund-Backes-Rattie

Seem like the best options. In the case of the later, slide Oshie on up with Steen and Stastny, which looks like it's starting to click.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad