Too many New York teams?

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
Albany and Adirondack both outdraw Union and RPI so it's a point that people make, but the point they're trying to make is unclear. Union does not always sell out a 2,000 something seat dump. They are good fans, I used to work the games in the early 90's and many of the same fans were on TV during the championship game.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
We all understand that,and have always understood that. Just like when the devils left. We in utica do have experiance with ahl teams leaving.You can stop now..........

Then you really should learn to more clearly convey your message. There are many that read on here few times and do NOT understand how franchising works. Look at the thread in the BoH forum. People talk about moving teams up and down between the ECHL and the AHL.

Albany and Adirondack both outdraw Union and RPI so it's a point that people make, but the point they're trying to make is unclear. Union does not always sell out a 2,000 something seat dump. They are good fans, I used to work the games in the early 90's and many of the same fans were on TV during the championship game.

Has anyone ever heard a complaint about attendance from any of the AHL teams that are owned by the NHL team?

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

You worked the games in the early 1990s, are you really serious????? Union's hockey program was still somewhat in its infancy through much of the 1990s, it wasn't until the mid 2000s that the college started investing more into the program. Not just money but builders as well, building a core philosiphy and a system which has culminated in the success of a national title. That goal is almost unimaginable considering the size of the school, the financial resources, probably a game changer for NCAA hockey down the road.

If the 1990s could be used to as merit then what about the Smallbany River Rats. Back in the 1990s they were drawing 4500, 5000, and one season drew over 6000 fans per game. Those teams were among the most competetive around the AHL and the pretty much the last decent product the New Jersey Devils ever established in the AHL. Today the Devils, and support in Smallbany is at the bottom rung around the league. Times change, mid 1990s was two decades ago. If Smallbany wants to have more then just Union College hockey to enjoy their AHL team needs a rebuild. There is a fan base there for sure as I have said I believe the Rangers are the ideal fit but college hockey teams are out to win games. AHL teams if they want to exist in the NCAA saturated college hockey market better get on the ball. Going through the development motions do not win over fans. Look at the Bears, a season not qualifying for the playoffs and the fans want heads to roll lol, Smallbany goes over a decade without even qualifying for the playoffs and 3500 fans still show up year in year out lol....If a team my way failed to make the playoffs I would gladly assist the club with packing up the U-Haul or Ryder vans for them :)

Last edited:

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
If Utica's break even point is 2,600 then they won't have trouble finding an NHL-owned or other team to move in.

Rangers in Albany doesn't mean success. Maybe a few more fans, but Albany lost the Yankees AA team in 1994 (and AA baseball is much higher than "AA" hockey- hockey counts from the top down and baseball counts from the bottom up). All of the big name guys played for the AC Yanks.

Still no strong argument on your point, just a theory. Albany lost the AA-Yankees because the political leaders failed to upgrade their old stadium or build a new one. The old stadium by the airport was metal bleachers and way under standards. Why no mention of that areas baseball team now? Brand new stadium 20 minutes away from the old one, home of the Albany-Schenectady-Troy NY Cities Valley Cats. They average over 4000 fans in 4500 or so seat stadium. Thats in Class A New York Penn League baseball. That organization has two titles, a pretty good winning product, parking is free. That market is funny, they want winners at cheap prices lol, but there is a market obviously. The baseball teams front office should manage the minor league hockey team then...

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Then you really should learn to more clearly convey your message. There are many that read on here few times and do NOT understand how franchising works. Look at the thread in the BoH forum. People talk about moving teams up and down between the ECHL and the AHL.

Has anyone ever heard a complaint about attendance from any of the AHL teams that are owned by the NHL team?

Yes, when the devils were in Utica they complained about low attendance the last season or two. They would not promote their team.... But they did complain....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad