Tony Romano

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Why did this guy fall so far in the draft. Was it because he played in the AJHL last season because from what I am hearing he is a complete offensive dynamo for Cornell. As a freshmen he has 7 points in his first 6 games. This kid was a 6th round pick and is surely garnering attention from the USA hockey brass.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I would imagine playing in the AJHL (Atlantic Jr Hockey League) does not help your draft stock. I've heard scouts put more faith in Minnesota HS than AJHL. It's only a Tier III league. Glad to hear that he's doing so well at Cornell.

Usually guys from that league (If they make it to the NHL at all) don't get picked until their first year in college. I'm guessing the Devils had somebody close to him that was watching him closely.

colman

Jul 7, 2006
I would imagine playing in the AJHL (Atlantic Jr Hockey League) does not help your draft stock. I've heard scouts put more faith in Minnesota HS than AJHL. It's only a Tier III league. Glad to hear that he's doing so well at Cornell.

Usually guys from that league (If they make it to the NHL at all) don't get picked until their first year in college. I'm guessing the Devils had somebody close to him that was watching him closely.

Romano came from the AJHL where he played for Nikiforov who is a good skills coach.Two other s that willget a shot at the NHL are his son Vladi Nikiforov who plays for the Barrie Colts and James Marcou who plays for Waterloo Blackhawks .Marcou played with the NTDP and severalUSA teams over the past 2 years.They were past over only because of ther size last Draft this year watch for them as both have gotten bigger and stronger .Marcou was on the CSB players to watch List and Nikiforov was ranked last year in the final rankings .Nikiforov has done a great job with these 3 guys

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Romano came from the AJHL where he played for Nikiforov who is a good skills coach.Two other s that willget a shot at the NHL are his son Vladi Nikiforov who plays for the Barrie Colts and James Marcou who plays for Waterloo Blackhawks .Marcou played with the NTDP and severalUSA teams over the past 2 years.They were past over only because of ther size last Draft this year watch for them as both have gotten bigger and stronger .Marcou was on the CSB players to watch List and Nikiforov was ranked last year in the final rankings .Nikiforov has done a great job with these 3 guys

I've seen Vlad play when he was younger. He has incredible skills, but was not drafted. I've heard the huge knock on him is his size. He's smaller than Gionta and not as tough. Some people have commented that he benefited from playing with Little, but I don't have any personal experience to back up that claim. With his quickness and play on the PK/PP and the way the NHL is headed right now I can't imagine him not signing with some team.

I don't know much about Marcou.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
based on the four games that I've seen him play so far:

one thing that cannot be disputed is that romano is extreemly skilled. He's got puck skills that we havn't seen up here in Ithaca for sometime, and it's clear that the 100 plus points that he put up last year where atleast as much a product of his talents as they where the low level of competition. I love watching him play, and he, along with fellow freshman Blake Gallagher and Justin Milo, are the new face of Cornell hockey: smaller, faster, more skilled.

At the same time, Romano is also very raw. I've seen him split defensemen in the offensive zone, but I've also seen him unsuccesfully attempt to deke his way out of his own zone (not once, but twice, which sounds unthinkable on a Mike Schafer team) as well as make ill advised cross ice passes at his own blueline. And while not a soft player, Romano is not big, and it's clear that he's going to have to put on weight if he wants to avoid getting pushed around on the boards. He's also a player that needs the puck to be effective. This is not nessisarily a bad thing as I see Romano as more of a playmaker than a finisher (though he can finish), but over time he will need to learn to play without the uck on his stick.

As strange as it sounds, Cornell was probably the perfect place for Romano to come. It's evident that this is the first time in his career that he's had to pay any mind to the defensive zone. If he wants to play for Mike Schafer he will have to continue to work on his defensive play and improve decision making. This is also a team on which no one is soft (even 5'5" topher scott throws hits), so Tony will have to continue to work on his physical play if he wants to stay in the lineup.

As of right now, my few caveats aside, I'm nothing but impressed with Romano. We all knew he was skilled, but we didn't know he was this skilled. I also expected him to have a harder time transitioning to the NCAA level of competition, but he's come right in and has been one of this team's most dynamic players.

Last edited:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I've seen Vlad play when he was younger. He has incredible skills, but was not drafted. I've heard the huge knock on him is his size. He's smaller than Gionta and not as tough. Some people have commented that he benefited from playing with Little, but I don't have any personal experience to back up that claim. With his quickness and play on the PK/PP and the way the NHL is headed right now I can't imagine him not signing with some team.
Continuing the aside on Nikiforov (not Romano!):

From the (dozen or more) Barrie games I've seen the last few seasons, I'd have said that Nikiforov is generally used on a different line than Little. No doubt they see some PP time together, particularly when they go with a F on the point, but my impression is that they are seldom together.

Was it Dallas that gave Nikiforov a camp invite? I know some team did. Anyway, while he might get signed, I still have a lot of trouble imagining him in the NHL. He has great skills and shiftiness, but he really is tiny. I honestly think that 5'6" might be an exaggeration. He's the smallest player on the ice any game I've seen, handily. And while he does have the skills, it never really translates into the kind of dominating offensive game that I think he'd need to have to overcome the size issue. He sort of seems to be trundling along at a point-per-game-ish clip, but that's not really much of an accomplishment for an offensive player in the OHL these days, at least, not for one who really needs to be eye-poppingly productive to overcome other deficiencies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
As I said from the time of the draft, the reason he fell was because he played in the AJHL. It seems like the only people who know that league even exists are the people who read USA Hockey's junior hockey magazine. The kid is going to be an NHLer. Not sure what he projects in the league yet, but he's going to make it, IMO.

Strong Island

Jun 6, 2004
Long Island, NY
Why did this guy fall so far in the draft. Was it because he played in the AJHL last season because from what I am hearing he is a complete offensive dynamo for Cornell. As a freshmen he has 7 points in his first 6 games. This kid was a 6th round pick and is surely garnering attention from the USA hockey brass.

A bit off topic, but my friend who lives across the hall from me at college was on Romano's team and actually was linemates with him for an extended period of time. He always tells me stories about when they played together. He says his puckhandling skills are fantastic and that he's extremely flashy with the puck. It's pretty cool knowing someone who's friends with a prospect of your favorite team.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Also, I've met Romano before at a few tournaments in the area. He's a REALLY REALLY nice guy and I think he also has what it takes to be a leader on a NHL team. Very sure about himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad