Tony Hawk 1 and 2 Remaster:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Will be buying this game later when I get off work. Cannot wait. The amount of time I spent as a kid playing THPS on the N64 was crazy.

I still remember how HUGE of a deal it was that it came to the N64. It was a jaw-dropping announcement to 11-year old me.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
I still remember how HUGE of a deal it was that it came to the N64. It was a jaw-dropping announcement to 11-year old me.
The graphics I thought were so incredible. LOL.

but seriously they made this game look gorgeous on this remake. I completed warehouse and the school. Mixed it up with 3 different skaters. Just a good game to pick up and play, you can put as much or as little time you want in each sitting.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Grabbed it last night and played for a few hours, I'm up to Downhill Jame with everything before it completed.

A few things I've noticed:
  • The graphics are fantastic.
  • It feels like a classic Tony Hawk game.
  • The default buttons for some moves have changed (I'm going to move them back).
  • They've done a nice job adding new challenges and upping the scores required to achieve goals.
  • There are some parts that feel a little clunky still, specifically on Downhill Jam I kept trying to grind on a pole I've done a million times before in previous games, only this time I'd wall ride and then end up glitching through the map repeatedly.
  • Allocating stats were not in the original THPS, but it seems like you must allocate some points in order to achieve some of the original challenges. I went as far as I could without using this feature but at a certain point I don't think it's possible to continue without doing so.
  • You can change your stats, and you can do so in the middle of a run. This can help you achieve multiple challenges in a single go that might require different skill sets.

So far it's as fun and frustrating as I remember it being as a kid. I haven't played any multiplayer yet and have stuck with the original game for right now. Haven't created a skater either.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
The camera when you’re in tight spaces is horrible. The play is excellent but a wee bit too overly sensitive when raiding rails, edges, or the nose Compared to the first game.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I downloaded it last night and am loving it. I messed around in the tutorial for a few hours today and had a blast. Either it got a lot harder to land tricks or I was much better at this game as a kid because I bail out every other trick now lol.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I’ve been playing an hour or two a day since Monday. Finished all of the goals and platinum scores for THPS1. Going back and doing all of the “Get There” challenges and they are tough. I can’t get this one that requires carrying a combo basically from beginning to the Mall to the end. I’ve been so close so many times but I just choke near the end.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Finally finished the first game. All goals, platinum scores, gaps, collectibles, and “Get Theres”. The only challenges I didn’t do was the speed runs, which you thankfully don’t need for the platinum I don’t think. They’d be a fun challenge when I finish everything else but seem pretty time consuming and frustrating.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Just realized you have to revert into a manual after landing a vert trick. Was going crazy trying to figure out why I couldn't go straight into a manual to chain tricks.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Getting closer and closer to the platinum. Just need to do the hard “Get There’s” for THPS2 and reach level 100. I just love this game.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
I'm a snob and don't see any point for this to exist. If the physics are absolutely IDENTICAL, then it's all gravy. No need to play this over the original 2, but no reason not to, either. I'd consider getting a playstation controller that works on pc and getting this.

If it is a different engine and the physics are even slightly different, naw, I'm good. I bought that tony hawk hd remake thing that uses your avatar because I was missing the games. Was sorely, sorely disappointed to find the physics were different. Reverts didn't respond the same way, lots of issues.
I think anyone from the line tub community or anything from thps 1-4 (and maybe thug 1 to a lesser extent; thug 2 fell off a cliff and I don't know any of the games after that) could appreciate the turn-off for there to be anything mechanically different. Why learn to fine-tune your timing and instincts to adapt to a changed engine trying to remake something, when you can just use the same engine and play the original.

If you used a ps2 controller and fine tuned getting the spin with the kick trick on every grind, kick/rotate, grind, spin-outs (think that was post-thps 2 in this case tho), etc. Or spent hours learning no manual transfers for use during freestyle combos or no manual lines, even point *****ing lines for getting a billion+ point combos (thps 4), or 15-20+ mil in thps 2 (unless wall rides work the same which they didn't in thps hd, and unless bounces still work, no way could you do those lines).

I get that if I just wanna play the same game, I can. But isn't that sort of the point of a remake? To be fundamentally the same game? All I want is for the mechanics to be the same. If they wanna add manuals to thps 1, cool. If they wanna add extras, update the graphics, new characters or moves, whatever, cool. But I want to be able to interact with the levels the same way. I want pushing buttons at certain times to have the same effect.

So. I didn't know AndyTHPS was a part of this project to make sure the game felt and played right. I wouldn't have had any doubts, had I known that. I like that using reverts in 1/2 or manuals in 1 is optional, you don't have to have them on. I like that you can. I like that you can spine onto a rail or spine proper, I like that nothing from after THPS 4 is included in the game.

It isn't perfect, but it's great. It looks beautiful and very most impotantly it plays right. Couldn't imagine not using a ps controller for this game, so I did buy one like I said.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Also... wow. 2 things - one I am crazy rusty. In THPS 3/4 (this game plays like those two mechanic wise) I used to get in the hundreds of millions regularly when doing robot/scoring lines, and like 7-70 mil routinely while style improving combos. You could say I played with my buddy a lot. We would watch the line tub and stuff no manual challenges and style lines from the top players at the time, and played ourselves offline on my ps2 taking turns in free skate sessions for hours.

Now, it took me a while just to land my first million point improv combo, granted after that 4 mil came next, but that's still my highest and it took like an hour of playing. So extreme rust. I haven't tried any scoring lines/robot lines. Even before though, I didn't have much interest in that. I just like improving. The main difference though? Ugh, my hands actually got sore from the super quick button inputs non-stop (like skipping left-right-left-right on top of a slightly wider than a rail narrow grind ledge, like a sign top or two sided rail at marsielle in the bowl grind). When I used to play this for hours and hours at a time as a teenager, I never felt a thing.

Body is getting older and what feels like yesterday was actually a long time ago, heh.

PepperKeenan

Sep 22, 2012
Sweden
I had a break from the game for about a month but started playing it a couple weeks back again. Finally unlocked Officer Dick, thought I'd never manage it lol

So much fun, not sure what to aim for next, there's literally hundreds of challenges left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad