Tony Hawk 1 and 2 Remaster:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Wait, are these the Underground games? I am confused because he also made the pro skater games too.
No, these are not the Tony Hawk's Underground games that are being re-mastered, it's the original PS1 games Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 and 2.

Though, I did really enjoy THU and wouldn't mind a remaster of that.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
They already had a great remake of tony hawk 1 and 2 before HD in 2x but nobody played it. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x - Wikipedia
I bought it for the Xbox, it was solid. I went back and played it last weekend. I forgot how good you need to be at knowing where everything is. Constantly bumping into everything and falling like I was new to video games, lol. The camera didn’t give you a good enough forward view like the remasters likely will. I won’t re-buy because I’ve bought them several times, but the rare THPS virgin is going to freaking love the remasters.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I bought it for the Xbox, it was solid. I went back and played it last weekend. I forgot how good you need to be at knowing where everything is. Constantly bumping into everything and falling like I was new to video games, lol. The camera didn’t give you a good enough forward view like the remasters likely will. I won’t re-buy because I’ve bought them several times, but the rare THPS virgin is going to freaking love the remasters.
Did you play it on the original Xbox? all camera issues aside it runs really well and looks decent when you put the disc into a 360. I went though it last year but i needed to refer to an online guide to beat the game.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Did you play it on the original Xbox? all camera issues aside it runs really well and looks decent when you put the disc into a 360. I went though it last year but i needed to refer to an online guide to beat the game.

Good point - I actually played it (THPS1) on Dreamcast, which isn't the upgrade that the Xbox version was.

I'm really hoping Microsoft figures a way to REALLY expand backwards compatibility. I'm guessing it isn't playable on XB1...

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
1st couple were great. Plus awesome soundtracks. Then they "enhanced" the controls and it tuned to trash.

So. Much. This.

I’ll take the OG days of tapping Left, Left, Square or Up, Down, Circle while hitting a half pipe over this new enhanced shit any day. And I say this as someone who played and owned the original games when they came out.

Let’s be honest here, skateboarding is hard enough to do IRL. Therefore it should be simple enough so that anyone can do it in a video game at least.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I loved the addition of the manual and revert that allowed you to string together long combos. When they started letting you get off the board and play baseball and shit with it is when they lost me. I just replayed THPS5, unanimously considered to be the worst of the Pro Skater games, and I still had plenty of fun with that, so I imagine I’ll love this.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
I'm a snob and don't see any point for this to exist. If the physics are absolutely IDENTICAL, then it's all gravy. No need to play this over the original 2, but no reason not to, either. I'd consider getting a playstation controller that works on pc and getting this.

If it is a different engine and the physics are even slightly different, naw, I'm good. I bought that tony hawk hd remake thing that uses your avatar because I was missing the games. Was sorely, sorely disappointed to find the physics were different. Reverts didn't respond the same way, lots of issues.
I think anyone from the line tub community or anything from thps 1-4 (and maybe thug 1 to a lesser extent; thug 2 fell off a cliff and I don't know any of the games after that) could appreciate the turn-off for there to be anything mechanically different. Why learn to fine-tune your timing and instincts to adapt to a changed engine trying to remake something, when you can just use the same engine and play the original.

If you used a ps2 controller and fine tuned getting the spin with the kick trick on every grind, kick/rotate, grind, spin-outs (think that was post-thps 2 in this case tho), etc. Or spent hours learning no manual transfers for use during freestyle combos or no manual lines, even point *****ing lines for getting a billion+ point combos (thps 4), or 15-20+ mil in thps 2 (unless wall rides work the same which they didn't in thps hd, and unless bounces still work, no way could you do those lines).

I get that if I just wanna play the same game, I can. But isn't that sort of the point of a remake? To be fundamentally the same game? All I want is for the mechanics to be the same. If they wanna add manuals to thps 1, cool. If they wanna add extras, update the graphics, new characters or moves, whatever, cool. But I want to be able to interact with the levels the same way. I want pushing buttons at certain times to have the same effect.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
So. Much. This.

I’ll take the OG days of tapping Left, Left, Square or Up, Down, Circle while hitting a half pipe over this new enhanced shit any day. And I say this as someone who played and owned the original games when they came out.

Let’s be honest here, skateboarding is hard enough to do IRL. Therefore it should be simple enough so that anyone can do it in a video game at least.

Ever play thrasher, skate and destroy?

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
I’d heard of it back in the day but nope.

So, heh, I only played it once; pre-THPS 1 release. So my assessment could be WAAAY off. But I recall it being more realistic, or at least - less arcade-y, even compared to THPS 1. Also was focused on street skating, as opposed to vert + street mix. I recall there being police in the game, too. I imagine it was probably not as polished as THPS 1, maybe clunkier (at the time, I had no other skating game to compare it to, as THPS hadn't been released yet), but yeah, less arcade like.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Hope its good.

Also, leaving out THPS3 is a crime. Its far and away the best in the series (outside of the soundtrack).

I want my revert!

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I probably won't be playing it in the immediate future, Crusader Kings III & Flight Simulator have cornered the market on my gaming time for the time being, but I'm excited for this.

My history with skateboarding and these games is brief, pretty much just these two games, but man did I ever play the shit out of them. Later games just added more stuff that I couldn't keep up with because skateboarding itself has never interested me in the slightest and the terms are all gibberish to me, the games were just that good. I even got into some music I'd never have listened to otherwise because of it.

As for the remake issue...I think this one makes sense because a hard reset was necessary, and for a hard reset to land you gotta create demand. Reminding a generation of how much they loved these games will do just that and millennial parents who grew up with these games will introduce them to their children and whatnot. You couldn't just make THPS6 after the debacle of 5 and a fresh start would take time to win people over...because, again, it's been a long time since there's been a legitimately good skateboarding game. By making this remake you're bringing the brand back to relevance and creating demand for further games if they pull it off. As we saw with the first HD remakes, just putting it out there as a quick cash-in will do more to salt the market than fertilize it. I mean, they most definitely shat on consumers there, but it was a saltier shit than you'd expect from anyone this side of Konami.

I want to see more originality, for sure...but c'mon, this is Activision. If it weren't a Tony Hawk remake they'd have Vicarious Visions either remaking something else or working on the same line of games for years on end. Vicarious Visions is a 30 year-old development studio that's been owned by Activision for 15 years and doesn't have a single original property of their own worth noting, having almost exclusively worked on ports or in a supporting role (Guitar Hero, Skylanders). For as much shit as I'll toss at Activision with the slightest reasoning, they're utilizing that studio to its strengths right now. Especially considering it's a port & support studio that somehow made THPS2 legitimately awesome on the friggin' GameBoy Advance.

Now if we want to address what Activision did to Neversoft, making a studio change necessary in the first place, that's a ripe tomato I'm all too happy to throw. That was turning a development house into a support studio for a completely different genres/games than they made their name on until they just withered up and died.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Now if we want to address what Activision did to Neversoft, making a studio change necessary in the first place, that's a ripe tomato I'm all too happy to throw. That was turning a development house into a support studio for a completely different genres/games than they made their name on until they just withered up and died.

Doooooo it.'

also, I love that Kubrick quote. It's a classic

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I probably won't be playing it in the immediate future, Crusader Kings III & Flight Simulator have cornered the market on my gaming time for the time being, but I'm excited for this.

My history with skateboarding and these games is brief, pretty much just these two games, but man did I ever play the shit out of them. Later games just added more stuff that I couldn't keep up with because skateboarding itself has never interested me in the slightest and the terms are all gibberish to me, the games were just that good. I even got into some music I'd never have listened to otherwise because of it.

As for the remake issue...I think this one makes sense because a hard reset was necessary, and for a hard reset to land you gotta create demand. Reminding a generation of how much they loved these games will do just that and millennial parents who grew up with these games will introduce them to their children and whatnot. You couldn't just make THPS6 after the debacle of 5 and a fresh start would take time to win people over...because, again, it's been a long time since there's been a legitimately good skateboarding game. By making this remake you're bringing the brand back to relevance and creating demand for further games if they pull it off. As we saw with the first HD remakes, just putting it out there as a quick cash-in will do more to salt the market than fertilize it. I mean, they most definitely shat on consumers there, but it was a saltier shit than you'd expect from anyone this side of Konami.

I want to see more originality, for sure...but c'mon, this is Activision. If it weren't a Tony Hawk remake they'd have Vicarious Visions either remaking something else or working on the same line of games for years on end. Vicarious Visions is a 30 year-old development studio that's been owned by Activision for 15 years and doesn't have a single original property of their own worth noting, having almost exclusively worked on ports or in a supporting role (Guitar Hero, Skylanders). For as much shit as I'll toss at Activision with the slightest reasoning, they're utilizing that studio to its strengths right now. Especially considering it's a port & support studio that somehow made THPS2 legitimately awesome on the friggin' GameBoy Advance.

I'm much more accepting of remade video games than remade movies. Some games become much more difficult to play as technology advances and I like remakes that bring the games to the current standard. I'm hoping this will be one of those games with just a few minor tweaks. Other games are remade like Resident Evil 2 and 3, and they're very different but still incredibly well made. Then you get bullshit like the GoldenEye remake or whatever and it's just straight garbage.

I've never been a big skateboarding fan either, but these games were lots of fun. Hoping whatever features they added don't take away from the simplicity of the original games that helped make them great. Once the games became too over the top with customization and story lines they became much worse.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Just downloaded this last night and completed the first 3 levels before playing some NHL with my buddies.

It feels great mechanically, it feels like the old THPS, but is definitely polished. I like the "respawn" for when you fall, cuts out soundtrack is pretty excellent so far (no surprise there). Looking forward to really jumping into this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad