Value of: Tony DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If they trade him, which they very well might, it’ll because if their depth at RD. Not because they dislike him. We didn’t have Trouba, Fox, or Lundkvist when Gorton acquired DeAngelo.

What is he worth? That’s impossible to know since teams value players differently. Trading him for futures makes no sense, so picks likely won’t interest us.

Our RD is set. We absolutely do need a top-4 LHD — but then again our prospect pool at LD is one of our strengths.

A 2C is another need, but Strome did just finish with 59P in 70G, thanks to Panarin.

So that’s where things get tricky. If ADA is moved, it’ll be a hockey trade.

We should be open to best return in totality of circumstances.
My expectation given managing cap and more immediately, slotting for protection in exp dft, we should be open to acceptably high picks.

Otherwise concur w/first half of your post.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Trouble is, everyone is considering protection for the expansion draft, so no one is going to pay a market rate with that in mind.

You would have to find a team that doesn’t even have enough players worth protecting (which would mean they’re a rebuilding, bottom-rung team) and even then, you’d have to have them convinced ADA is worth paying full price for.

All of which really means is, he’ll either stay in NY, or be traded for lesser than ideal return.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
rangers fans going to be disappointed. only hypotheticals so far offering mystery teams mid 1sts and prospects. low 1st + 3rd probably gets it done. maybe the Jets would bite?
If you’re willing to take a ‘21 1st, I’d be interested, but not trading this years 1st for anything but a 2C.
If we got DeAngelo, then we could let DeMelo walk.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Trouble is, everyone is considering protection for the expansion draft, so no one is going to pay a market rate with that in mind.

You would have to find a team that doesn’t even have enough players worth protecting (which would mean they’re a rebuilding, bottom-rung team) and even then, you’d have to have them convinced ADA is worth paying full price for.

All of which really means is, he’ll either stay in NY, or be traded for lesser than ideal return.

I don't agree.
If a team wants to improve, it has to weigh cost of adding better talent.

If the result of that is not worth it, they don't.
If it was worthwhile they go there.

the ? for them is not cost of adding Deangelo, it is if he is added can a team unload lesser talent to facilitate post acquisition?

Deangelo would be, just for an example, great fit on the Sabes to pair w/Dahlin. BUF has to decide first it will move Montour, Risto, etc. Paying market for ADeA is not the killer, it is what they get for those guys, which is something they should be considering anyway.

Bond

May 10, 2012
He is at a weird spot value wise I think. This year could be a fluke offensively kind of like Erik Gustafsson or he might continue to rip it up. How are his underlying stats, is he getting super lucky and unsustainable underlying stats or do they match up with his box score.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
He is at a weird spot value wise I think. This year could be a fluke offensively kind of like Erik Gustafsson or he might continue to rip it up. How are his underlying stats, is he getting super lucky and unsustainable underlying stats or do they match up with his box score.
He put up 30 in 61 games last season. While he may not be a steady 60+ scorer, he’ll provide a lot of offense from the backend.

He’s just 24 years old and played his first full (uhhh, kinda) regular season.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
If the Rangers aren't going to keep him, he seems to me like exactly the kind of guy a team who's desperate for a RD as well as offense from the back end should take a chance on.

TysonBarrie

Jun 30, 2018
DeAngelo is worth a multi-year 6M$ deal, or a first, a good prospect and a roster defenseman.
Yeah, no he isn't. This happens every single year with a random defenceman that gets crazy offensive numbers. Last year it was Gustafsson and before that it was probably Ghostisbehere.

Gustafsson (who is much, much better than DeAngelo defensively) got traded for a 3rd.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I don't agree.
If a team wants to improve, it has to weigh cost of adding better talent.

If the result of that is not worth it, they don't.
If it was worthwhile they go there.

the ? for them is not cost of adding Deangelo, it is if he is added can a team unload lesser talent to facilitate post acquisition?

Deangelo would be, just for an example, great fit on the Sabes to pair w/Dahlin. BUF has to decide first it will move Montour, Risto, etc. Paying market for ADeA is not the killer, it is what they get for those guys, which is something they should be considering anyway.
If I were making a list on where ADA could end up being moved this offseason Buffalo might actually be at the bottom of that list. Absolutely no fit there. They are overloaded on the right side, have an abundance of defenseman that aren't very good defensively (like Deangelo), and have multiple other needs on their roster, primary need being at center. As much as you'd like there to be a deal there, it just doesn't make sense for Buffalo.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

TysonBarrie

Jun 30, 2018
I think a lot of you just need to relax. We have seen this before many, many times where defenceman overplays for one season and that's it. We've seen it with Skjei, Gustafsson, Ghostisbehere, Schultz and Giordano just in the past 3 seasons all of which never followed up their season and regressed drastically.

Reactions: Patagonia

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If I were making a list on where ADA could end up being moved this offseason Buffalo might actually be at the bottom of that list. Absolutely no fit there. They are overloaded on the right side, have an abundance of defenseman that aren't very good defensively (like Deangelo), and have multiple other needs on their roster, primary need being at center. As much as you'd like there to be a deal there, it just doesn't make sense for Buffalo.

I agree with you @is the answer jesus , he is not a deal for Buf this year. BUT that is not because he, the player is not a good fit. He is obv a great fit to pair w/Dahlin.
You have invested in Montour, and Riisto is a legacy to name two.
My point is if you can get half decent return for those declining talents, you should consider it have that defray what it would (have) cost to upgrade to Deangelo.

I am not pushing for Deangelo to Buf.
It was brought up in context of Dea's value and how if you were to go with only one pick, no +s, 8OA is imo accurate.
8OA belongs to Buf, hence the connection but no, Deangelo to Buf is not on my list and not to be considered as long as Sabes presently constituted.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Waiting for Mon nite phase 2 of draft, pre-draft whatev they are calling it.

I am sensing later on a big deal involving NYR = FL w/Dea as key piece. We'll see. til like Tues or so on this one.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Waiting for Mon nite phase 2 of draft, pre-draft whatev they are calling it.

I am sensing later on a big deal involving NYR = FL w/Dea as key piece. We'll see. til like Tues or so on this one.
Keep waiting. FLA needs a completely different style D than DeAngelo, and I'm a Tony fan.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Keep waiting. FLA needs a completely different style D than DeAngelo, and I'm a Tony fan.

Same reason why the Jets don't need him when they have Pionk.......you can't have too many of those offensive D on a team (1 is enough). Teams need a a good balance, one decent offensive guy for the PP1, then a mix of two way guys & defensive guys. DeAngelo will be a good fit on some team who needs that one offensive guy on the point.......Rangers just need to find that team. As they say one size doesn't fit all needs.

Reactions: bernmeister

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I agree with you @is the answer jesus , he is not a deal for Buf this year. BUT that is not because he, the player is not a good fit. He is obv a great fit to pair w/Dahlin.
You have invested in Montour, and Riisto is a legacy to name two.
My point is if you can get half decent return for those declining talents, you should consider it have that defray what it would (have) cost to upgrade to Deangelo.

I am not pushing for Deangelo to Buf.
It was brought up in context of Dea's value and how if you were to go with only one pick, no +s, 8OA is imo accurate.
8OA belongs to Buf, hence the connection but no, Deangelo to Buf is not on my list and not to be considered as long as Sabes presently constituted.

How is he a great fit to be paired with Dahlin?

IMO he is a horrible fit considering that it would force the best defensive prospect we have seen come in to the league in a long time to play babysitter for freaking DeAngelo.
IMO thats a horrible fit..
DeAngelo would be a good fit next to a guy who is great defensively and not all that great offensively...

Reactions: Guitpik

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
thanks for prejudging what I wuz gonna say w/an open mind.
What's there to prejudge? DeAngelo has certain skills and abilities and certain holes in his game. FLA as a team has certain needs.

DeAngelo's strong points aren't a need while his holes are. Doesn't matter what deal you have cooked up.... the premise is flawed from the start. There are teams that need an offensive RD. FLA needs a rock steady, minute munching, smothering D. Doesn't really sound like Tony.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

IMO he is a horrible fit considering that it would force the best defensive prospect we have seen come in to the league in a long time to play babysitter for freaking DeAngelo.
DeAngelo would be a good fit next to a guy who is great defensively and not all that great offensively...

ADA doesn’t need anyone to babysit him.

You guys that don’t watch him play much blindly assume he plays like a 4th forward on the ice, which he absolutely does not.

He’s had an immobile partner who possesses zero competence with the puck in Marc Staal. The same Marc Staal who thinks it’s 2011 and wants to bang the puck up the boards whenever he gets it. The same Marc Staal who becomes a defensive liability when his team is in the offensive zone because of his inability to skate back, or keep possession.

ADA needs a two way partner who doesn’t handle the puck like a bomb. That’ll benefit his play style the most. Not, a pure defensive dmen like you believe.

It’s so obvious who actually watches ADA play based on their comments and opinions. You couldn’t be more off with your post.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

You vastly underrate Deangelo's defensive ability.
I never said he was an elite defender, he is not.
But he is a good skater, smooth stick handler. He doesn't McAvoy freight train opponents into submission, but he does fine enough, and every minute his offensive skills keep the puck out of the Rangers' zone in the other teams zone, that effectively helps.
Yes, at some point he does have to defend in Rangers zone, but I don't think he is a liability there, like Smith or Staal.

Because they are both great skaters and emerging talents, righty Deangelo would complement lefty Dahlin, the much better player.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
You vastly underrate Deangelo's defensive ability.
I never said he was an elite defender, he is not.
But he is a good skater, smooth stick handler. He doesn't McAvoy freight train opponents into submission, but he does fine enough, and every minute his offensive skills keep the puck out of the Rangers' zone in the other teams zone, that effectively helps.
Yes, at some point he does have to defend in Rangers zone, but I don't think he is a liability there, like Smith or Staal.

Because they are both great skaters and emerging talents, righty Deangelo would complement lefty Dahlin, the much better player.

I am not going to get into an argument with you guys about DeAngelos D (I disagree but I also always overrated Barries D I guess so I get it ). At the end it doesn't even matter.
Dahlin clearly has more offensive upside and overall upside than DeAngelo. So why would you relegate him to the more responsible guy on his pairing?
What you do is pair him with a guy that is defensively solid that focusses on cleaning up for him that has some but not too much offensive ability.
That clearly is not DeAngelo...

Reactions: Flyer lurker

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What's there to prejudge? DeAngelo has certain skills and abilities and certain holes in his game. FLA as a team has certain needs.

DeAngelo's strong points aren't a need while his holes are. Doesn't matter what deal you have cooked up.... the premise is flawed from the start. There are teams that need an offensive RD. FLA needs a rock steady, minute munching, smothering D. Doesn't really sound like Tony.

We will see on Tues ish

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I am not going to get into an argument with you guys about DeAngelos D (I disagree but I also always overrated Barries D I guess so I get it ). At the end it doesn't even matter.
Dahlin clearly has more offensive upside and overall upside than DeAngelo. So why would you relegate him to the more responsible guy on his pairing?
What you do is pair him with a guy that is defensively solid that focusses on cleaning up for him that has some but not too much offensive ability.
That clearly is not DeAngelo...

Fine and you and I are good so we can agree to disagree.
As to Dahlin, he needs to have a partner upgrade.
A younger Pietrangelo not available, McAvoy/Parayko couple of years away, and not clear either bolts where they are.

So stand pat, or at least try to make an incremental move.
Dangelo is not the world's best RD, but Dahlin could do a lot worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad