Value of: Tony DeAngelo

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Time will tell if he can resolve his defensive deficiencies. While i agree that he's young and has time to do so - i see him as a Ghostisbere type of Dman. I wouldn't touch him at the moment until he proves to be a more well rounded dman.

NYR are gonna have to shell out for him this offseason after snubbing him with the lowball 1 year offer.
Please just stop. You clearly have no idea what your talking about.

....and FYI, DeAngelo was not low balled, NYR too priority was to get Panarin and could not offer ADA much more than what he got.

NYR are big on DeAngelo and he will get paid, deservedly so. He has been very good this season.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

....and FYI, DeAngelo was not low balled, NYR too priority was to get Panarin and could not offer ADA much more than what he got.

NYR are big on DeAngelo and he will get paid, deservedly so. He has been very good this season.

He wasn't lowballed? Then you say he is was paid less because they shelled out for Panarin? Jesus, what's wrong with you?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You clearly haven’t since you suggested he’s one-dimensional, which he’s clearly not. But keep pushing this agenda you’re on if it helps you sleep at night.

He's poor defensively and very good offensively. Does that work for you? :)

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
NYR not bringing in a supposed "#1D" for ADA, not while Skjei and Staal are on the roster
they need young talent that wont dent the Cap
and their near-term LHD pipeline is deep (Rykov/Hajek/Reaunanen/Miller/Roberston,...)

a top 6 talent F, 23 or younger, or similar recently drafted prospect, and high-ish pick(s)

I'd be fine to if instead they kept ADA and if/when needed, play him on left-side, he has done that before

but if he demands >$5M per, he may force NYR into tough decisions

Reactions: bernmeister

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
The Bruins traded Hamilton for a 1st and 2 2nd’s because they had to for salary reasons. He also only had 1 40pt season in his resume. ADA is more valuable, and the Rangers don’t have to move him.
How old was Dougie when he was traded? 21? Dougie definitely accomplished more than ADA at their respective ages so not sure how you’re saying ADA > Hamilton. Personally I hope you guys re-sign him so we don’t have to see ADA threads everyday.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
He wasn't lowballed? Then you say he is was paid less because they shelled out for Panarin? Jesus, what's wrong with you?
He was a RFA with no arbitration rights. He wasn’t lowballed.

But since you feel he’s a defensive liability, why should the Rangers have given him more money? Derp?

Reactions: bl02

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He was a RFA with no arbitration rights. He wasn’t lowballed.

But since you feel he’s a defensive liability, why should the Rangers have given him more money? Derp?

He got paid far less than he deserved. He held out because of the lowball then gave up. He was lowballed.

That's exactly the issue - he'll get paid because of the points he puts up. Offensive dmen get disproportionately paid compared to traditional two-way dmen or defensive dmen. And that kills. He will also remember how he was treated in the offseason during his holdout. He gave in. Now the NYR will pay.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
DeAngelo's best defensive trait is his great recovery speed, he's an excellent skater. He's been paired with Marc Staal most of the season so he has to clean up a lot of messes.

He's less sound defensively than Fox and his stick isn't as good. But he's dynamic offensively, great passer and although his shot is weak he's scoring a lot of goals this season, mostly when he pushes in closer to the net to finish off plays.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
... NYR are gonna have to shell out for him this offseason after snubbing him with the lowball 1 year offer.

y'know, they didn't 'snub him' and he knows it,
this is a hard Cap league, and last off-season NYR didn't have the wiggle room to offer ADA (or Lemieux) more,
they played by the CBA, now ADA has more ammo: his strong season and his arbitration rights

both side have rights under the CBA and try to use them smartly
ultimately/eventually good players have more of the leverage

Reactions: bernmeister

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
He got paid far less than he deserved. He held out because of the lowball then gave up. He was lowballed.

That's exactly the issue - he'll get paid because of the points he puts up. Offensive dmen get disproportionately paid compared to traditional two-way dmen or defensive dmen. And that kills. He will also remember how he was treated in the offseason during his holdout. He gave in. Now the NYR will pay.
Again, since this question went over your head. He was a RFA that wasn’t arbitration eligible. How was he lowballed?

If the Rangers gave him an extra Mil, do you think he would have asked for less because of that with his new contract?:laugh:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Again, since this question went over your head. He was a RFA that wasn’t arbitration eligible. How was he lowballed?

If the Rangers gave him an extra Mil, do you think he would have asked for less because if that with his new contract?:laugh:

Why did he hold out then? Obviously he felt lowballed and he was right. If the NYR game him an extra million, he wouldn't have held out and would have been suitably paid.

I mean, the dude held out in the offseason. You think he did it because he was happy? What is wrong with you?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Why did he hold out then? Obviously he felt lowballed and he was right. If the NYR game him an extra million, he wouldn't have held out and would have been suitably paid.

I mean, the dude held out in the offseason. You think he did it because he was happy? What is wrong with you?

No, we think he did it because he wanted more money, money that at the time, the Rangers didn't have available to give him. And now, SURPRISE, they'll have more money to give him this offseason b/c they're not going out and spending 20 mil of their offseason money on 2 players. This isn't rocket science bud.

Reactions: Kupo

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
So he doesn't have defensive deficiencies? lol

Good luck re-signing him in the offseason. His next contract will be a huge risk.

Why is that? He produced well last season too.
His defensive play is getting better. He is an RFA.
I'd pay 5M for 5 years....I think a lot of teams would actually.
He isn't going from making 1M this season to 8M.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016

Hope you’re right

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Why is that? He produced well last season too.
His defensive play is getting better. He is an RFA.
I'd pay 5M for 5 years....I think a lot of teams would actually.
He isn't going from making 1M this season to 8M.
I dont think tony signs 5x5. He would force arbitration and do a deal to bring him to ufa.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
What is the value of a one-dimensional offensive dman? That's a tough one to be honest. These types of players are dangerous. Their point totals will suggest high dollar contracts but their overall contribution when taking in consideration their defensive liabilities is far less. Ghostibere is probably a good comparible.

I tend to stay away from one-dimensional offensive dmen as there is high risk of overpaying in trade and in contract dollars.

Zero clue...... Good thing you tend to stay away from the "one-dimensional offensive dmen"

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
My opinion would be to trade Skjei,Staal if possible and try one of Trouba, Fox ADA, Lundvfist on the Left side.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
This is DeAngelo's first season hitting 40 points, so why would you suggest that he's worth more than Hamilton? I see nothing that makes DeAngelo more valuable than Hamilton was at the time of his trade. Personally, I would've and still would take Hamilton well before DeAngelo.

The Bruins traded Hamilton for a 1st and 2 2nd’s because they had to for salary reasons. He also only had 1 40pt season in his resume. ADA is more valuable, and the Rangers don’t have to move him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->