Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I might put together a highlight compilation of DeAngelo's season, to show some of the incredible plays he's made that didn't result in goals. If he were playing on a good team a lot of them would've ended up in the back of the net. 53.7 CF%, 9.1 CF rel consistently playing with the worst partners such as 38.4 CF% Ogara

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Pionk, Gilmour and more defenseman prospects just on the Rangers at roughly the same value to the organization. B level prospects. Secondary pieces in trades. More clarifications needed?

Yeah, you need to do a much better job to clarify the hot take that most of us are scratching our heads over. He's a high ceiling prospect with a half decent floor. He's far from "dime a dozen".

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
ADA is most definitely more than a dime a dozen prospect and he is going to be a NHL player

I put that description in parentheses for a reason. It wasn’t a major point and I responded separately with clarification to explain what I meant.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Yeah, I don't think he's more talented than Andersson, but the idea that he's a dime a dozen prospect is absurd.
Yep, DeAngelo not having a higher ceiling imo is not at the fault of Tony, but of how much I like Lias. Tony D can become a really good NHLer, but I personally see Lias as our best non-goalie prospect

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
You've yet to actually do this.

I put the description of what I meant. B level prospect, secondary piece in trade. The Rangers, with its mediocre prospect pool has a few in pretty much the same group. If it doesn’t meet your definition of dime-a-dozen I concede but it wasn’t a driving point I was making.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I put the description of what I meant. B level prospect, secondary piece in trade. The Rangers, with its mediocre prospect pool has a few in pretty much the same group. If it doesn’t meet your definition of dime-a-dozen I concede but it wasn’t driving a point I was making.

The idea that Gilmour and ADA are of roughly the same value was what really made me chuckle. I'd expect such flaming hot takes to come from a Debbies fan or something that doesn't watch the Rangers.

Who knows? Maybe Gilmour ends up the better NHLer. I'd be shocked, but it could happen. But that's one of those "out there" opinions.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I mean everyone's entitled to their opinion but I gotta disagree with that.
Tons of scouts say he doesn't have much offensive talent, hell even when he was drafted they said "this guy can be like Jesper Fast" lmao. He was a very "safe" pic, high floor, moderate ceiling. Top 9 center with character. I consider ADA more of a boom/bust prospect, ADA shows flashes of having elite offensive tools, I have never seen that from Andersson

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The idea that Gilmour and ADA are of roughly the same value was what really made me chuckle. I'd expect such flaming hot takes to come from a Debbies fan or something that doesn't watch the Rangers.

Who knows? Maybe Gilmour ends up the better NHLer. I'd be shocked, but it could happen. But that's one of those "out there" opinions.

So irrelevant. What about them making a similar impact or just as well not making any?

Do you disagree with other descriptions?

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Tons of scouts say he doesn't have much offensive talent, hell even when he was drafted they said "this guy can be like Jesper Fast" lmao. He was a very "safe" pic, high floor, moderate ceiling. Top 9 center with character. I consider ADA more of a boom/bust prospect, ADA shows flashes of having elite offensive tools, I have never seen that from Andersson
That's an assessment I've never agreed with. He doesn't show that offensive flash like a Tony D because that's not how he plays. His game is little flash, but all smarts and he knows how to score points no matter where he is (whether its Sweeden, the World Juniors, or the AHL). Not doing spinoramas or dangeling a whole team doesn't mean he doesn't have elite offensive talent, its elite in other places

Reactions: belford222

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Now we putting Andersson and ADA on the same footing? There’s really nothing else I can’t add if people don’t see a distinction or cannot appreciate nuances of what to do and what not to do when you’re merely a prospect with a reputation that needs to be rebuilt.

Here. I got rid of dime-a-dozen if seeing it was so offensive.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
When people mention Fast, when talking about Andersson, it's about play-style. Or atleast it is to me.

ADA shouldn't be judged until a new coach/system is implemented

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I dont think this is the right coach or system for him.

I've seen how emotional he can be, and I'd like to see him play with that reckless abandonment.

The Rangers would be wise to give him some of the Sean Avery/ Del Zotto treatment and help him focus if you know what I mean. It would be a win win.

I don't like the fact that this locked room doesn't have the level of mentorship it did during the Torts days.

A lot of the guys will tell you that had veterans looking out for them. That hasn't been the case the last few years.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Pionk, Gilmour and more defenseman prospects just on the Rangers at roughly the same value to the organization. B level prospects. Secondary pieces in trades. More clarifications needed?

Pionk and Gilmour are nowhere near the same value.

ADA is 22 and playing well in the NHL.

Gilmour is arguably playing as well but is two years older.

Pionk is the same age and can't dress himself at the NHL level.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Pierre said Jesper Fast because he had no idea who Andersson is and threw out the first Swede that popped into his head.

Fast's development skyrocketed at ages 21 and 22 which is why he made the NHL out of the 6th round, but at age 18, Lias Andersson was a good 2-3 years ahead of Fast.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
That's an assessment I've never agreed with. He doesn't show that offensive flash like a Tony D because that's not how he plays. His game is little flash, but all smarts and he knows how to score points no matter where he is (whether its Sweeden, the World Juniors, or the AHL). Not doing spinoramas or dangeling a whole team doesn't mean he doesn't have elite offensive talent, its elite in other places

This is very hard for people who either haven't played or are just simply lacking in depth knowledge of the sport to understand. Who had more offensive talent, Alex Kovalev or Brendan Shanahan?

Reactions: belford222

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
jesper fast is an excellent hockey player. very under valued/appreciated here. lias could certainly pick worse players to patent his game after. having said that, pierre had no business comparing the two on draft day other than to point out they were both swedish.

lias has a ceiling much higher than does jesper. anyone who doesnt see this isnt paying attention.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I figured it out. I can't stand him because he reminds me of the guy who gave Giovanni Ribisi so much shit in "Boiler Room"
snow-angels-20080311053619156-000.jpg

That guy was the worst.

Reactions: Synergy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->