Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo (MOD WARNINGS: Post #12/#900)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
The Rangers should just play ADA AND Pionk. It's not that difficult. The seasn isn't going to be pretty. Try and develop both of those guys and play the hot hand more than the other.

Skjei, Smith and Staal on the left side. Play Smith on his off-side on the PK

I simply don't understand why people in this fan base don't see that DeAngelo freakin sucks as a defenseman.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I simply don't understand why people in this fan base don't see that DeAngelo freakin sucks as a defenseman.
Maybe what they see is that it is too soon to write him off completely? If he shows nothing in camp, and someone else does, then I do not see him being kept around. If he shows like he should be playing, then they more than likely will.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
But does he 'freakin suck'?
I think it is too early to dub him as "freakin" sucking. Maybe an accurate way to state it is that he has been sucky. Which is not the same as a full on "suck". He still has room to grow. The hope is that he pulls him out of sucky and into solid. Of course, he could blow it. Which would then spiral him into sucking. And after sucking for a while, he can then graduate to freakin sucking. Then he needs to be off the team. If you freaking suck, you get traded to Tampa where your game improves. Which gets you back to sucky or if better, proving that a better system and a better coach can do wonders for your play.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think it is too early to dub him as "freakin" sucking. Maybe an accurate way to state it is that he has been sucky. Which is not the same as a full on "suck". He still has room to grow. The hope is that he pulls him out of sucky and into solid. Of course, he could blow it. Which would then spiral him into sucking. And after sucking for a while, he can then graduate to freakin sucking. Then he needs to be off the team. If you freaking suck, you get traded to Tampa where your game improves. Which gets you back to sucky or if better, proving that a better system and a better coach can do wonders for your play.

I would vehemently disagree that he has been anywhere near 'sucky'

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would vehemently disagree that he has been anywhere near 'sucky'
In all seriousness, I do not think that his play has been great. I do however think that playing defense under AV and his system was not easy for anyone. I think that he gets a real shot in camp. Am hoping he takes it and runs with it. We shall see. But as others have said, this is probably his last chance.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
In all seriousness, I do not think that his play has been great. I do however think that playing defense under AV and his system was not easy for anyone. I think that he gets a real shot in camp. Am hoping he takes it and runs with it. We shall see. But as others have said, this is probably his last chance.

I thought he showed flashes of being very good with and without the puck. He definitely had some bumps in the road but for me it was refreshing to see a defenseman who can make solid tape-to-tape passes and place those passes in areas where his teammates can actually do something with them. Before his injury and after his recall, to me, he was the best defneseman on the ice for the Rangers. He was incredibly unlucky but he pushed the pace and the puck seemed to consistently move in the right direction with him out there.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
yeah, but Raanta got thrown in there like a garbage bag. His value should have been at least same as Talbot's.
We don't really know how much Raanta was valued in that trade. People like to break down trades into subtrades (Miller/Namestnikov, Raanta/DeAngelo), but that's guessing.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I think everyone would agree that if he can’t make the squad under Quinn this year and struggles that we can label him a bust.

In all honesty he probably knows this as well

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think everyone would agree that if he can’t make the squad under Quinn this year and struggles that we can label him a bust.

In all honesty he probably knows this as well
IDK, he'll still be 23 when next season starts. If he spent four years as a pro without "making" it then that's obviously a problem (which would be the case if he doesn't stick this year). But, he wouldn't be the first guy to figure it out a little later. Unless he looks totally clueless this year, I still wouldn't quite label him a bust. Maybe a bust in the sense that he's not the next Paul Coffey, like some expected. :laugh:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Agreed. Which is why this is ADA's make-or-break year, frankly.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
IDK, he'll still be 23 when next season starts. If he spent four years as a pro without "making" it then that's obviously a problem (which would be the case if he doesn't stick this year). But, he wouldn't be the first guy to figure it out a little later. Unless he looks totally clueless this year, I still wouldn't quite label him a bust. Maybe a bust in the sense that he's not the next Paul Coffey, like some expected. :laugh:
The Paul Coffey comparison is one of the most laughable things I have ever read on this board. I still get a kick out of that.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Sometimes I wonder if DeAngelo’s style and ability of passing is causing people to view him more positively than he deserves

I like his play with the puck. I think he’s alright when battling for the puck. I’m negative on his ability without the puck in the open.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Maybe his last chance with us--I don't think he's hit last chance in the NHL yet. But yeah he's got a chance and the skills to take the ball and run with it this year. The opportunity is wide open for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->