Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo (MOD WARNINGS: Post #12/#900)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
IMO you have to let an offensive defenseman like DeAngelo make some mistakes. The only offensive defensemen who don't make mistakes are elite level franchise guys and actually they STILL make mistakes. You gotta let him grow and learn how to find the right balance and then maybe if he's still not balancing out mistakes made with positive points etc, you cut bait and realize it's not gong to work out.

It's just...you can't develop an offensive defenseman by insisting they play mistake free defense at all times.

Trying to level out those guys almost never works.

You end up staaling their offensive development while bringing their defense up to maybe acceptable. The player goes from someone who does one thing well to a player who does nothing well.

Let him play his game, he'll do much more good than bad.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Trying to level out those guys almost never works.

You end up staaling their offensive development while bringing their defense up to maybe acceptable. The player goes from someone who does one thing well to a player who does nothing well.

Let him play his game, he'll do much more good than bad.
LOL.

I agree with this, though you have to iron out aspects where a player is unacceptably bad. But as soon as the player is above the threshold for what you can stomach in terms of weaknesses he should be focused 100% on developing his strengths - an approach that applies to all facets of life TBH.

Reactions: haveandare

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I would agree that we shouldn't shackle ADA, he needs to be allowed to be creative and use his feet and his hands to create. But he needs to make better decisions when it comes to joining the rush at times and he still needs work in front of his net. A lot of times it seems he's just standing around instead of picking up a body or a stick. I thought he was actually doing a better job of that before he got hurt. Could have been my eye-test failing though.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
15:30 mark 2nd period.

marc staal shows exactly why hes marc staal. slow. poor decision making. cant get back. clueless.

staal is up ice, gets caught flat footed mid ice, the play goes by him as he kinda turns like a siberian sloth dipped in molasses, and leaves his partner ADA on a clean 2 on 1. ADA plays the shooter, lays out and tries to take away the pass and hank makes the stop.

perfect. example.
Didn’t help that Kreider’s pansy ass hit on the forecheck was a complete waste other than taking himself completely out of the play... but there’s no way Staal should be going north there.

I hate when we give up the blue line but there u have to be moving backwards

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Didn’t help that Kreider’s pansy ass hit on the forecheck was a complete waste other than taking himself completely out of the play... but there’s no way Staal should be going north there.

I hate when we give up the blue line but there u have to be moving backwards

staal is exposed every time he moves up ice. he doesnt move well enough anymore. his foot work is labored and slooooooooow. the play turns quickly and he doesnt have "quickly" in his repertoire.

anyone paired with him will have their work cut out.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
So despite being on balance the best Ranger defenceman in the games he had played in up until that point (including preseason), one somewhat bad game (in the team's only win nonetheless) was apparently enough to bump him to the team's 8th defenceman.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
ADA has the ability and potential to be a Krug lite type player. He gets the puck on net, finds the seams, has good heads up vision and makes plays quick. He doesn't hold onto the puck very long and skates when he has to. I feel Quinn should give him more opportunity than any other D-man on our roster. Sink or swim.

A sure 1st round selection with a lot of hype around his abilities in the 2014 draft means a lot of people think his potential and ceiling are very high. He's 22, time to see how good he is and how fast he learns.

Pionk is an undrafted college guy. Never on anyone's radar and never really has had any NHL hype. He's a year older and an inch taller. If he turns out to be a regular, than great, good for the rangers.

On paper, you play ADA and see if he pans out.

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
ADA has the ability and potential to be a Krug lite type player. He gets the puck on net, finds the seams, has good heads up vision and makes plays quick. He doesn't hold onto the puck very long and skates when he has to. I feel Quinn should give him more opportunity than any other D-man on our roster. Sink or swim.

A sure 1st round selection with a lot of hype around his abilities in the 2014 draft means a lot of people think his potential and ceiling are very high. He's 22, time to see how good he is and how fast he learns.

Pionk is an undrafted college guy. Never on anyone's radar and never really has had any NHL hype. He's a year older and an inch taller. If he turns out to be a regular, than great, good for the rangers.

Krug lite. Omg it never ends. Please don't deny this like everybody else does on HF when inevitably ADA fails and I call you out on your outlandish comparisons to players who have talent and actual tangible achievement at their position in the league.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Krug lite. Omg it never ends. Please don't deny this like everybody else does on HF when inevitably ADA fails and I call you out on your outlandish comparisons to players who have talent and actual tangible achievement at their position in the league.

I mean, if ADA becomes a Krug lite player I'll surely forget about this conversation, but I suspect you won't. Remind me if it works out.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I'll be perfectly honest, I find it hard to dissociate my personal opinions of the guy with my opinions of him as a hockey player. I find myself overly critical, borderline rooting for him to make mistakes.

If I can be as objective as possible (which I admit is still not very objective), I think the kid deserves to play. He's looked good out there with the puck, and he's had a larger positive impact than negative impact on the ice.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012

I agree ADA should be playing over someone like Staal or McQuaid... no denying that. But your logic in your comparison of his draft year hype vs Pionk undrafted is terrible. Draft hyped players fail all the time. Is Yakupov better than Panarin because he was hyped as a next great star #1 overall pick vs undrafted Russian kid that is 1 year older?

Reactions: mrhockey193195

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I'll be perfectly honest, I find it hard to dissociate my personal opinions of the guy with my opinions of him as a hockey player. I find myself overly critical, borderline rooting for him to make mistakes.

If I can be as objective as possible (which I admit is still not very objective), I think the kid deserves to play. He's looked good out there with the puck, and he's had a larger positive impact than negative impact on the ice.

I know he had some weird thing on Twitter a few years back, but I honestly do not think a few Twitter comments is what is keeping him out of the lineup. I think he also has an attitude issue and/or the staff does not see him possessing nearly as much potential as a lot of people are hoping for.

Again, I know some fans don't like him for some political opinions, but I could give a rat's ass about that, and more importantly, given the little snippets we get here and there of how professionals act behind the scene in pro sports and other entertainment, I sincerely don't think management is putting that much of the roster decision into something like that.

I mean the things he said didn't really catch on outside of hockey die hards, I haven't seen people at the garden exactly gasping in the preseason when he's on the ice in regard to some perceived controversy.

Also, it's a rebuild.

I mean Danny Heatly had a long career, and although it was before the social media era, Craig MacTavish killed someone while driving drunk, and still played a long time.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017

That is a really bad comparison. Krug's primary skill is his ability to shoot the puck. ADA has a terrible shot.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
I agree ADA should be playing over someone like Staal or McQuaid... no denying that. But your logic in your comparison of his draft year hype vs Pionk undrafted is terrible. Draft hyped players fail all the time. Is Yakupov better than Panarin because he was hyped as a next great star #1 overall pick vs undrafted Russian kid that is 1 year older?

No, but Yakupov got every opportunity to succeed. What I'm saying is if there is an undeniable potential you see it through, play the kid and find out. I would say ADA has not been given every opportunity to succeed and everyone should wait to see that first before jumping to conclusions.

Same goes for Pionk for that matter. It's way too early to tell for either of them. I'm not pro ADA or pro Pionk. I'm pro New York Rangers. If they both come out smelling like roses than great. But the verdict on both of them is still up in the air. Which makes this season fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad