Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo (MOD WARNINGS: Post #12/#900)

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He wont be here.We need him to step up his game and play as a top pairing d-man on both ends of the ice.Whether he does or not is a different story
That's the issue, isn't it? He has not done that up to now in his career. I have my doubts as to him starting now. But that is a topic for the Shattenkirk thread. It does however, affect other defensemen as they have to pick up the slack. That includes Pionk playing against tougher matchups than he should be.

Reactions: mrmovies779

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That's the issue, isn't it? He has not done that up to now in his career. I have my doubts as to him starting now. But that is a topic for the Shattenkirk thread. It does however, affect other defensemen as they have to pick up the slack. That includes Pionk playing against tougher matchups than he should be.

I thought I read somewhere that Shattenkirk's numbers are better against stronger competition than weaker. Could have totally hallucinated that though.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I thought I read somewhere that Shattenkirk's numbers are better against stronger competition than weaker. Could have totally hallucinated that though.
I don't remember if it was tougher competition, but someone was posting about fancystats and that his were better when he had more D-zone starts as opposed to O-zone starts.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't remember if it was tougher competition, but someone was posting about fancystats and that his were better when he had more D-zone starts as opposed to O-zone starts.

Ah yeah... that's what I was thinking about. Not what you'd expect.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I noticed something about DeAngelo this preseason which also held true for last year - he is incredible at getting his shots on net. This preseason he has had 8 shot attempts of which 7 have been on net and last season he put 56 of his 85 attempts on net (66%). Not only was that 66% league leading among defencemen with more than 400 minutes of 5v5 TOI, but the only other defencemen that broke 60% did so by picking their spots very carefully and barely shooting at all (Santini, 5.06 S/60 & C. Tanev, 2.55 S/60) while DeAngelo fired away 7.53 S/60 - good for 9th most in the league. For comparison #10 Roman Josi (7.42 S/60) only had 49.5% of his attempts hit the target.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
He knew that this could be it. Fourth team in 4(?) years is not a good look for a kid. What I find even more comforting is Quinn is giving him the trust (leash) he’s always needed and it is paying dividends so far. This is just the beginning and I am pulling for his success as it would mean a ton on the ice for this club.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I truly feel that Quinn is the right coach for this next generation that is breaking into the league and/or trying to find their footing.

That's not say he can't be the right choice for veterans, and I want him to get the most out of talents like Kreider and Zibanejad, but the ability to connect with the younger players is going to be crucial to this organization's long-term future.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
He knew that this could be it. Fourth team in 4(?) years is not a good look for a kid. What I find even more comforting is Quinn is giving him the trust (leash) he’s always needed and it is paying dividends so far. This is just the beginning and I am pulling for his success as it would mean a ton on the ice for this club.
Yea, I feel like a lot of the Rangers’ success really depends on the pieces on the Stepan trade, and the defense especially depends on DeAngelo. I thought, over the summer, that the 1st pairing upside DeAngelo had was gone. I expected him to be a 3rd pairing defenseman and maybe a mediocre 2nd pairing defenseman at best. Does he have that 1st pairing upside now? Who knows, but at least we are seeing flashes. It’s a long shot, but maybe still possible.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I truly feel that Quinn is the right coach for this next generation that is breaking into the league and/or trying to find their footing.

That's not say he can't be the right choice for veterans, and I want him to get the most out of talents like Kreider and Zibanejad, but the ability to connect with the younger players is going to be crucial to this organization's long-term future.

Spot on.

You know what’s funny though, we talk about ‘kids’ because they’re 19,20,21 etc. but Kreids and Zibs are kinda still really young and Quinn said in that presser that some of the seniors in Boston were not too far from their age either.

He really does seem like that perfect fit. Ideally, they buy into him fully and he can stay all the way through this rebuild. If he ices a team which makes a lot of progress after whatever may come this year, I don’t see why not.

Plus we should all hope that this is a quick turnaround rather than an EDM/ARI/BUF/ETC. situation.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Spot on.

You know what’s funny though, we talk about ‘kids’ because they’re 19,20,21 etc. but Kreids and Zibs are kinda still really young and Quinn said in that presser that some of the seniors in Boston were not too far from their age either.

He really does seem like that perfect fit. Ideally, they buy into him fully and he can stay all the way through this rebuild. If he ices a team which makes a lot of progress after whatever may come this year, I don’t see why not.

Plus we should all hope that this is a quick turnaround rather than an EDM/ARI/BUF/ETC. situation.

To put this into perspective, Zibanejad is all of about two years older than Pionk and ADA. The kid's only been old enough to rent a car for about 5 months.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Yea, I feel like a lot of the Rangers’ success really depends on the pieces on the Stepan trade, and the defense especially depends on DeAngelo. I thought, over the summer, that the 1st pairing upside DeAngelo had was gone. I expected him to be a 3rd pairing defenseman and maybe a mediocre 2nd pairing defenseman at best. Does he have that 1st pairing upside now? Who knows, but at least we are seeing flashes. It’s a long shot, but maybe still possible.

I think it is possible. He just needs to be paired with a stay at home guy so he can act as more of a rover. He also isn’t old in terms of a prospect. Defenseman definitely tend to take a little longer to marinate.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I think it is possible. He just needs to be paired with a stay at home guy so he can act as more of a rover. He also isn’t old in terms of a prospect. Defenseman definitely tend to take a little longer to marinate.

Quinn understands the importance of this and he has made it quite obvious that he sees serious potential in ADA’s game.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
O
I keep forgetting how young he still is. He’s not super young, but he still has 2-3 years to really develop. And I think he should be paired with a defensively-oriented 2-way defenseman, kind of like when he was put with McDonagh. If I remember correctly, that was a pretty good pairing. I would like to see Skjei - DeAngelo, and if Smith really does get his game back, Smith - DeAngelo might be a decent pairing. I just think a defenseman that is too “stay-at-home” will drag him down.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
O

I keep forgetting how young he still is. He’s not super young, but he still has 2-3 years to really develop. And I think he should be paired with a defensively-oriented 2-way defenseman, kind of like when he was put with McDonagh. If I remember correctly, that was a pretty good pairing. I would like to see Skjei - DeAngelo, and if Smith really does get his game back, Smith - DeAngelo might be a decent pairing. I just think a defenseman that is too “stay-at-home” will drag him down.
This is where it's at, they were fantastic when paired last year.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I noticed something about DeAngelo this preseason which also held true for last year - he is incredible at getting his shots on net. This preseason he has had 8 shot attempts of which 7 have been on net and last season he put 56 of his 85 attempts on net (66%). Not only was that 66% league leading among defencemen with more than 400 minutes of 5v5 TOI, but the only other defencemen that broke 60% did so by picking their spots very carefully and barely shooting at all (Santini, 5.06 S/60 & C. Tanev, 2.55 S/60) while DeAngelo fired away 7.53 S/60 - good for 9th most in the league. For comparison #10 Roman Josi (7.42 S/60) only had 49.5% of his attempts hit the target.

Getting it on net but somehow, some way, needs to find a way to get some points out of it.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
It’s still preseason obviously, but to me he doesn’t look any different than he did in his stint last year right before the ankle injury :dunno:

Where he was looking great with Skjei? He totally does. Right back on that trending up developmental track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad