Tons of future stars, future NHL regulars, top line AHLers arriving from CSSHL to the WHL next season

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
One is 15, some 16, and there's also some 17 year olds who might or not might not become a star.
some of these players, already have few or one game in the WHL this season

F

Liam & Markus Ruck
Joe Iginla
Noah Kosick
Riley Boychuk
Mathis Preston
Levi Benson
Cruz Pavao
Tommy Lafreniere
Shane Purves

D

Landon DuPont
Daxon Rudolph
Keaton Verhoeff
Brek Liske
Ryan Lin
Hunter Aura

G

Eric Tu
Jordan Switzer
Ryley Budd
Parker Snell
Gibson Horne

HM : these 2024 draftees 15 year olds, who i think, who can if applies to, get the special thingy
to play in the WHL at 15; Brock Cripps, Drayden Uhrina, Mirco Dufour, Eli McKamay

PS. there are probably bunch of names that i forgot

Reactions: hn777

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
McKamey is the only one I can see getting ES but I find it hard to see in the event Dupont gets it, which is likely. Yager was heavily considered but he was in Bedard's class so he lost the luck.

Last edited:

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
McKamey is the only one I can see getting ES but I find it hard to see if Dupont gets it. Yager was heavily considered but he was in Bedard's class so he lost the luck.
Yeah and they rejected Savoie and Moore when Wright and Misa got it, there has yet to be a year with more than 1 player granted.

They also, somewhat strangely - rejected Jack Hughes, maybe it was his size, or the Performances of Day/Veleno who were the previous 2 ES players. Wright, despite his progression since was a no brainer for it and performed as such when he was 15. Misa was considered more of a coin-toss before his OHL cup MVP performance and he also performed very well at 15. I think Dupont gets it and nobody others. I think it would take 2 McDavid/Crosby types who were absolute prodigies among prodigies to see 2 in one season.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
Yeah and they rejected Savoie and Moore when Wright and Misa got it, there has yet to be a year with more than 1 player granted.

They also, somewhat strangely - rejected Jack Hughes, maybe it was his size, or the Performances of Day/Veleno who were the previous 2 ES players. Wright, despite his progression since was a no brainer for it and performed as such when he was 15. Misa was considered more of a coin-toss before his OHL cup MVP performance and he also performed very well at 15. I think Dupont gets it and nobody others. I think it would take 2 McDavid/Crosby types who were absolute prodigies among prodigies to see 2 in one season.
Agree. McKamey may have been borderline had it not been for Dupont, but hard to see McKamey get it in the same year. Dupont feels like a no-brainer.

Reactions: hn777

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Misa was considered more of a coin-toss before his OHL cup MVP performance and he also performed very well at 15.
Misa probably got it because he was a threat to follow Power and Fantilli to Chicago Steel -> Michigan, just like Day got it because he was a dual-citizen that was a threat to go to the USNDTP.

I suppose that's a bit cynical. The whole arbitrariness of it all was a pretty likely result from the get go once you let the cat out of the bag by letting Tavares into the OHL a year early and making up something to let him do so back in 2005. At this point, they may as well say they'll take something like a maximum of 3 kids per region per year if the scouts think they're Major Junior ready. This also would help the normalization and lower the pressure/scrutiny on some of these kids to where like years later you still got people chirping Shane Wright on message boards for falling all the way to 4th overall and not being an NHL regular as a teenager.

Last edited:

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Misa probably got it because he was a threat to follow Power and Fantilli to Chicago Steel -> Michigan, just like Day got it because he was a dual-citizen that was a threat to go to the USNDTP.

I suppose that's a bit cynical.
Misa at least proved he was definitely worth it with his 15 year old season. A bit stagnant this year but he was more than ready to be an impact player in the OHL at 15.

Day was, to this day (pun intended) the strangest decision regarding ES we have seen. He wasn't even selected in the top 3 of the draft, which should be a foregone conclusion if you are granted. At one time it was, and it was the basis behind the decision to not grant it to John McFarland way back.

Overall the track record is pretty good though

1 Overall - 4 (Tavares, Ekblad, McDavid, Bedard)
Top 5 - 5 (Wright)
First round - 6 (Veleno)
Round 3 - Sean Day
Misa - TBD

So basically 4/7 so far for #1 overall, 5/7 for top 5 and 6/7 drafted in the first round. So for those are ES and were also drafted #1 in your respective draft they are 4/6, 5/6, and 6/6 respectively. Misa will almost certainly make that 7/7 for those types of guys drafted in the 1st round. I don't think its a coincidence that they only guy who wasn't taken #1 OA in the CHL is also the only one who didn't go on to be a 1st round pick and be an NHL regular. I think they should keep the standards really high. Dupont deserves it, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubbles

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Misa at least proved he was definitely worth it with his 15 year old season. A bit stagnant this year but he was more than ready to be an impact player in the OHL at 15.

Day was, to this day (pun intended) the strangest decision regarding ES we have seen. He wasn't even selected in the top 3 of the draft, which should be a foregone conclusion if you are granted. At one time it was, and it was the basis behind the decision to not grant it to John McFarland way back.
Veleno seems a bit odd, he was playing up and did at least go 1st in the QMJHL Draft.. and looking ahead is an NHL player, but his profile doesn't scream particularly exceptional. 2nd on team in points his last year of AAA, like a guy like Max Comtois was a year ahead and producing almost 2 PPG in the playoffs on a different team while Veleno is only putting up 4 points in 12 games? And he's supposed to be so good that another year of AAA would be detrimental compared to like everyone else in all other years? Or were they just wanting it to not seem like an "Ontario only" thing? Idk, it's a pretty arbitrary thing is all.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Veleno seems a bit odd, he was playing up and did at least go 1st in the QMJHL Draft.. and looking ahead is an NHL player, but his profile doesn't scream particularly exceptional. 2nd on team in points his last year of AAA, like a guy like Max Comtois was a year ahead and producing almost 2 PPG in the playoffs on a different team while Veleno is only putting up 4 points in 12 games? And he's supposed to be so good that another year of AAA would be detrimental compared to like everyone else in all other years? Or were they just wanting it to not seem like an "Ontario only" thing? Idk, it's a pretty arbitrary thing is all.
Veleno was being dressed in the playoffs for roster rule reasons and not playing IIRC.
He had similar stats to Comtois in the seasons

He also out played Comtois that year at the CWG which benefitted him, and also his threat to go to shattuck. He was definitely a border ES guy, and should probably be the absolute minimum that should even be considered. He was the #1 pick and nobody would have really considered Comtois as Veleno showed a lot more potential back then and was already seemingly on par while being a year younger.

Granting it to Day was pretty nuts IMO. he had potential sure, but poll the OHL GMs and see how many would have taken him #1 or even top 2 that year and it wasn't many if any. it was purely to get him on the national team

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Veleno was being dressed in the playoffs for roster rule reasons and not playing IIRC.
He had similar stats to Comtois in the seasons

He also out played Comtois that year at the CWG which benefitted him, and also his threat to go to shattuck. He was definitely a border ES guy, and should probably be the absolute minimum that should even be considered. He was the #1 pick and nobody would have really considered Comtois as Veleno showed a lot more potential back then and was already seemingly on par while being a year younger.

Granting it to Day was pretty nuts IMO. he had potential sure, but poll the OHL GMs and see how many would have taken him #1 or even top 2 that year and it wasn't many if any. it was purely to get him on the national team
Day is certainly the cautionary tale about not being overzealous when it comes to worrying about future World Juniors teams. Never made a Canada and I doubt would have made a USA either (Mikey Anderson, Adam Fox, Quinn Hughes, Ryan Lindgren, Andrew Peeke, Scott Perunovich and Dylan Samberg were the 7 DMen brought by USA at Day's Age 19 season).

Wonder if that's why they didn't give it to Jack Hughes who would seem worthy in hindsight. Although I don't think Jack ever became a Canadian dual-citizen so maybe they just didn't feel inclined to give it to an American at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad