Confirmed with Link: Toninato traded to FLA for D Jacob MacDonald

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Maybe this trade was born during discussions between Sakic and Tallon relating to Reimer and/or Barrie

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
This could open up a spot for Ryan Carpenter as an AHL forward and depth NHL forward as well.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
So I am beginning to believe that Sakic has a fetish for D men now. He "ignored"(for lack of a better word) the issue for years and now draft picks, FA and trades are D men obsessed. I like it.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Maybe this trade was born during discussions between Sakic and Tallon relating to Reimer and/or Barrie

Sakic has his real Barrie replacement now. :sarcasm:

I liked Dom Tomato as a 4C. Mostly because he was an actual center, but apparently Sakic wants to purge the roster of those so that Tyson Jost doesn't feel the least bit of competition and finally flourishes into the Prince That Was Promised or something.

Reactions: Richard88

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Fine with this trade. Wasn't a Toninato fan in his rookie season, although he looked ok in his 2 games last year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Avs badly need offense from their D in the AHL so it makes sense from that standpoint as this guy appears to be very good offensively at the AHL level. I won't underestimate Cronin's ability to suppress that offense once the games start but on paper it looks good.

This is the only reason I can think of for trading away another NHL capable center. Can't be financial because he's not making much, and doesn't have a strong case to ask for much more.

I'm guessing they liked what they saw from Timmins yesterday in the B&W game and don't expect him to stay long with the Eagles.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I just don't understand why they brought Toninato aboard in the first place. They knew exactly what he was, and what he wasn't. But I suppose he MAY have a chance at the NHL in Florida, meanwhile, this move makes the Eagles presumably better. Whatever...I guess this is a good move.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I just don't understand why they brought Toninato aboard in the first place. They knew exactly what he was, and what he wasn't. But I suppose he MAY have a chance at the NHL in Florida, meanwhile, this move makes the Eagles presumably better. Whatever...I guess this is a good move.
Did they? It's hard to predict these college free agents. Teams go wrong all the time. (And most people here said Will Butcher no way would make the Devils line up)

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
You have to remember where the Avalanche were when they signed him. Just off the 48 point season. They just needed NHL bodies. Toninato came in with Kerfoot, Wilson, and Yakupov. It was a low cost risk and it did not work out. I believe the Avs moved him to give him a better chance to make the NHL or have a bigger role in the AHL. The Eagles could use some quality D, as long as he does not block one of the kids from getting development.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Did they? It's hard to predict these college free agents. Teams go wrong all the time. (And most people here said Will Butcher no way would make the Devils line up)

You have to remember where the Avalanche were when they signed him. Just off the 48 point season. They just needed NHL bodies. Toninato came in with Kerfoot, Wilson, and Yakupov. It was a low cost risk and it did not work out. I believe the Avs moved him to give him a better chance to make the NHL or have a bigger role in the AHL. The Eagles could use some quality D, as long as he does not block one of the kids from getting development.

I don't disagree with any of this but Toninato was billed as a straight-up defensive forward. If they moved on because he wasn't producing enough then my response is "What the hell did you expect?" The puck went in the right direction whenever he took the ice for the Avs, so I still think there's a legit chance for him to be an NHLer. I think the league as a whole undervalues defensive forwards, and I'll admit I was overtly interested in Toninato because if he made the team and succeeded, that'd be a HUGE win for the Avs oft-maligned developmental department. They've been especially bad just developing role players and bottom-siz guys, would've been nice for them to do this.

But alas, he was more or less hopelessly buried on the depth chart, and the Avs look set to add even more bodies in front of him, so it was probably just best to move on and use this opportunity to improve the Eagles. I'm not hating or loving this move, just kinda bummed about it.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I don't disagree with any of this but Toninato was billed as a straight-up defensive forward. If they moved on because he wasn't producing enough then my response is "What the hell did you expect?" The puck went in the right direction whenever he took the ice for the Avs, so I still think there's a legit chance for him to be an NHLer. I think the league as a whole undervalues defensive forwards, and I'll admit I was overtly interested in Toninato because if he made the team and succeeded, that'd be a HUGE win for the Avs oft-maligned developmental department. They've been especially bad just developing role players and bottom-siz guys, would've been nice for them to do this.

But alas, he was more or less hopelessly buried on the depth chart, and the Avs look set to add even more bodies in front of him, so it was probably just best to move on and use this opportunity to improve the Eagles. I'm not hating or loving this move, just kinda bummed about it.
I agree. At least Toninato has tools to become a 4th liner in the NHL. This OFD is a career AHLer if I've ever seen one. Which is fine, because Toninato probably has a tweener scrub career, but I think he's a more valuable asset for the NHL team.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Where would Toni even fit on the depth chart if he were still here? How many injuries would have to take place before we would be given another shot? I think the answer to that is the reason for this trade. He basically had no shot at making the NHL this year. Hopefully he can make it in Florida. Meanwhile MacDonald might be the first guy up from the Eagles if another injury happens.

And if they're both in the AHL all season, MacDonald seems to be the better player.

I have no problem at all with this trade.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I like Toninato quite a bit actually. I think he did very well for us as a 4C unfortunately for him he was not able to get his offense to translate to the NHL. I would have liked him to be given one more chance as it looked like it was coming slowly. Oh well at least it looks like they got something really good for him for the AHL.

Good luck to you Toni. Hope you find a spot with them on their NHL team.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

I think that's just what the media assumed was the reason (wasn't it dater who mentioned that? lol :rolleyes:) and the Avs are never going to straight up give reasons to trash a player on his way out. It's a 'glance at the numbers' poor analysis by a pretty weak reporter.

The reality of the situation is that Toninato showed some good things but overall failed to snag that 4th line center spot which is probably the reason they signed him to begin with. When he got opportunities, he wasn't terrible but he was just 'ok'. In that particular spot, if you're not going to play a real physical game or be strong on faceoffs, the rest of your defensive game better be frikkin' stellar. Let's not forget that Toni is already 25 yrs old and while he might get there at some point, I don't blame the Avs for moving on and adding some depth on the back-end.

I think this also signals the fact that they are very likely going to be add a player that's already ready for that spot. As has been rumored, a guy like Ryan Carpenter (123 hits / 52% on faceoffs - in 68 games) could be a good addition as long as they don't overpay. (I would think 2 years - $1.75M per - should be the max for a UFA after only 1 full season in the NHL)

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The thing is the Eagles have guys to replace Toni at C for next season with Bowers, Saigeon and most likely Shvyrev needs a bigger role as well. On the other hand IMO they needed MacDonald a lot more as I think Warsofsky is not coming back. Warsofsky probably wants to find another team were he has a better chance to get a shot to the NHL. So it is a very good trade for the Avs and the Eagles.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad