Confirmed with Link: Tommy Mac is coming back.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Waiving mrazek is fireable offence

One rough season after being declared our goalie of the future and easily considered one of the best young tenders in the world to then be waived by a bottom feeder would be disgusting

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Who would even be in the Market for Mrazek after today?

Canucks and Arizona ?
With each of those seeming like long shots... as they just picked up what they believe as 'upside' guys who haven't been given a chance as full time starters in Raanta and Nilsson.

More like Nobody.

Vancouver isn't an option, Thatcher Demko is their future.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Waiving mrazek is fireable offence

One rough season after being declared our goalie of the future and easily considered one of the best young tenders in the world to then be waived by a bottom feeder would be disgusting
When was he declared the goalie of the future? When he signed a 2 year deal and Howard wasn't traded?

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Vancouver isn't an option, Thatcher Demko is their future.

Jack Campbell, Tom McCollum, etc etc. Goalies flunk. Never a sure thing. I'm never big on drafting one in the first round. There's so much development needed.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Mrazek will start the season in Detroit, is my prediction. They can't move him, and just waiving him is ridiculous. One bad season, on a bad team, doesn't dictate, his ability to play goal in this league. He is far better than many of the goalies in the league, and one season of being overpaid at 4 million, is not that big of a deal.

I think he will start the season in Detroit, some other team will hit injury/play issues with their current goalies, and they will be able to move Mrazek for at least a 3rd round pick, I think 2nd though.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
He is far better than many of the goalies in the league, and one season of being overpaid at 4 million, is not that big of a deal.

That he is still here seems to directly contradict your statement. If he had anything like the value you suggest LV would have taken him for nothing and then flipped him for assets.

I think he will start the season in Detroit, some other team will hit injury/play issues with their current goalies, and they will be able to move Mrazek for at least a 3rd round pick, I think 2nd though.

If Mrazek doesn't play substantially better his value will be zero and Detroit will have to retain a portion of his salary just to move him. If he does play substantially better Detroit is better served by keeping him, but if they do decide his off-ice stuff is enough of a problem he'd at least bring something back.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Funny how mrazek went from being a feather in Holland's cap along with Larkin and mantha to having zero value. Wasn't he apart of the upcoming core that Holland was building on the fly and a sign that Holland's plan was working? Or are we just ignoring that part?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Funny how mrazek went from being a feather in Holland's cap along with Larkin and mantha to having zero value. Wasn't he apart of the upcoming core that Holland was building on the fly and a sign that Holland's plan was working? Or are we just ignoring that part?

"Mrazek was never my friend".

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Yeah, it's almost like a young player's development stalled when he started playing like crap and didn't seem to want to put in the work to continue developing past the roadblock and instead seemed to want to point fingers or get angry that his competition wasn't shipped out of town. It's the damnedest thing. Guys aren't just predestined to be franchise players, they actually have to work at it and improve. It's almost like there is an intangible aspect to being a great professional athlete.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Yeah, it's almost like a young player's development stalled when he started playing like crap and didn't seem to want to put in the work to continue developing past the roadblock and instead seemed to want to point fingers or get angry that his competition wasn't shipped out of town. It's the damnedest thing. Guys aren't just predestined to be franchise players, they actually have to work at it and improve. It's almost like there is an intangible aspect to being a great professional athlete.

So is the rebuild on the fly working or not?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
So is the rebuild on the fly working or not?

That's not at all the discussion right now, and I think you know that.

Mrazek was a crown jewel in the rebuild on the fly because he looked like a fantastically talented goalie. However, he has hit snags in his development and judging by his performance (not taking any of the "hit job" pieces into account) this past year, he didn't seem very interested in improving his positioning, rebound control, or toning down his aggressiveness so he's not so far out of position all the time for easy goals. It is one thing if he wasn't reading the puck off the stick or something. But he would cheat aggressively at a shooter and get caught flat footed when they passed it across the rink.

He was making mistakes that you curtail by toning down the aggressiveness. On a much less stressful scale, I'd been making the same mistakes in my league. I'd sell out to stop one shot and the resultant rebound or cross ice pass makes you look like an incompetent boob. It's something that is a positional issue. It's something that should be simple enough to correct if you have a goalie coach that analyzes what is going on and you put in some work to correct it. Mrazek never seemed to get any better at it over the course of the year. I'm not expecting him to completely snap out of a malaise in a week or something, but positioning should be fixable. It shouldn't be a lingering problem.

If Mrazek isn't a crown jewel prospect anymore... that's on him. Not on Holland. Mrazek clearly has talent. He's the most gifted goalie they've had since Hasek. He's way too damn athletically talented for it to be acceptable that he was as bad as he was last year.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Let's keep in mind the defence playing in front of him.
Marginally worse than he had the previous year(s) and Howard also did fine. Also keep in mind he kinda fell apart late in the 15-16 season, defense remained the same but his play fell off a cliff. A lot of the goals he allows are not the "blame the D" variety, if anything he's still great at making those huge saves that cover for defensive errors. It's the positional, technique-based saves he's been struggling with.

Mrazek remains a potentially big piece for this team as long as he's on the roster, but in sports you can go from hero to zero very quickly. Luckily, the opposite is also true.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So Mrazek is at fault for not taking the flaws in his game seriously enough, and taking strides to round out his play, resulting in a downright lousy year.

Then let's also turn up the heat on golden boys like Dylan "One Trick Pony" Larkin and Justin "I Got My Money, Then Returned to Being a Scrub" Abdelkader. They each just had a horrendous year as well.

Or perhaps it's not that Mrazek played badly, but that he's become a distraction. Maybe even a diva. And winning teams don't have players with behavior that doesn't represent the franchise well.

Except that Sidney Crosby likes to throw tantrums and drop F-bombs when the refs make a call against him. And Patrick Kane assaulted a taxi driver. Shoot, Sergei Fedorov was dating a 16 year old while he was winning a Hart Trophy. So clearly, if you have oodles of talent, you can still get away with whatever you like.

What I'm ultimately getting at, is there's a double standard with this franchise. You're either one of Holland's boys, and you're a made man, regardless of your play on the ice...or you're not, and the leash gets shorter and shorter, until you're run out of town.

Mrazek needs some major improvement. But I don't see any consistency with how he's being handled, versus how other players with issues either have been or are being handled.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Marginally worse than he had the previous year(s) and Howard also did fine. Also keep in mind he kinda fell apart late in the 15-16 season, defense remained the same but his play fell off a cliff. A lot of the goals he allows are not the "blame the D" variety, if anything he's still great at making those huge saves that cover for defensive errors. It's the positional, technique-based saves he's been struggling with.

Mrazek remains a potentially big piece for this team as long as he's on the roster, but in sports you can go from hero to zero very quickly. Luckily, the opposite is also true.

Howard was playing well over his abilities for the majority of the year, but he fell back down to earth at the end.

Howard is a career .915sv%, and many of those years were playing with Lidstrom and better defenses. From 2013-2015 Howard had was around a .910 sv%. The chances that Howard continues the same play with this team in front of him is unlikely.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
So Mrazek is at fault for not taking the flaws in his game seriously enough, and taking strides to round out his play, resulting in a downright lousy year.

Then let's also turn up the heat on golden boys like Dylan "One Trick Pony" Larkin and Justin "I Got My Money, Then Returned to Being a Scrub" Abdelkader. They each just had a horrendous year as well.

Or perhaps it's not that Mrazek played badly, but that he's become a distraction. Maybe even a diva. And winning teams don't have players with behavior that doesn't represent the franchise well.

Except that Sidney Crosby likes to throw tantrums and drop F-bombs when the refs make a call against him. And Patrick Kane assaulted a taxi driver. Shoot, Sergei Fedorov was dating a 16 year old while he was winning a Hart Trophy. So clearly, if you have oodles of talent, you can still get away with whatever you like.

What I'm ultimately getting at, is there's a double standard with this franchise. You're either one of Holland's boys, and you're a made man, regardless of your play on the ice...or you're not, and the leash gets shorter and shorter, until you're run out of town.

Mrazek needs some major improvement. But I don't see any consistency with how he's being handled, versus how other players with issues either have been or are being handled.

It's easier for people to pin it on Mrazek than to acknowledge that the team just isn't that good.

Even discounting goaltending, the Wings were 26th in Goals For and 27th on the PP. The problems are bigger than Mrazek.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

obviously if you are performing at elite levels, the distractions are more forgiving. that is true for any team in any sport.

You would be hard pressed to find any team that would have the same leash on their franchise player as they would one of their 4th line grinders

mrazek hasn't proven much of anything at the nhl level so it's not really surprising that his leash is shorter.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
obviously if you are performing at elite levels, the distractions are more forgiving. that is true for any team in any sport.

You would be hard pressed to find any team that would have the same leash on their franchise player as they would one of their 4th line grinders

mrazek hasn't proven much of anything at the nhl level so it's not really surprising that his leash is shorter.
And guys like Larkin and Abdelkader and Sheahan and Miller have each proven significantly more in the NHL than Mrazek has?

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I'm now fully convinced that Holland is pulling a Dombrowski and is intentionally ****ing this team up on purpose so the next GM will have a hard time and not look as good as him! He is a cancer that is no longer curable, and he must go now.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
And guys like Larkin and Abdelkader and Sheahan and Miller have each proven significantly more in the NHL than Mrazek has?

we know that the wings value character more than anything. none of those guys have had issues off the ice.

so if you are having issues both on and off the ice like mrazek has, then yeah you aren't going to be treated as well as others

but the point is that double standards are pretty much the norm across all professional sports. it's not something exclusive to the detroit red wings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->