Celebrity Death: Tommy Lasorda dies at 93

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I got the feeling he enjoyed his life to the nth degree. Next to Walter Alston, the winning-est Dodger manager ever.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
RIP Legend.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
This seems to be the wrong place to post about Lasorda.

Yes, he is a legend for sure, but it feels like a stretch to call him a celebrity. He was before my time as a baseball fan, but I never felt that he sought celebrity status. Honestly, for the younger generation, do people even know him outside of baseball?

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I would call him a celebrity. I've never really followed baseball and always knew who he was. From the early 80s to the mid-00s, was a bit of a household name, whether the household was into baseball or not, thanks to his big personality, his sponsorships and a lot of cameos playing himself in pop culture. Wikipedia lists the shows "Silver Spoons, Who's the Boss?, CHiPs, Hart to Hart, Fantasy Island, Hee Haw, Simon & Simon, Everybody Loves Raymond and American Restoration" and he was on lots more if you look at his imdb.com entry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hammettf2b and Puck

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I would call him a celebrity. I've never really followed baseball and always knew who he was. He is or was a bit of a household name, whether the household was into baseball or not. From the early 80s to the mid-00s, he was a lot like Trump. He was known for his big personality and being outspoken. He also had lots of cameos playing himself in pop culture. Wikipedia lists the shows "Silver Spoons, Who's the Boss?, CHiPs, Hart to Hart, Fantasy Island, Hee Haw, Simon & Simon, Everybody Loves Raymond and American Restoration."

Fair enough. That would qualify.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
He was a larger than life figure. Ultra Slim Fast commercials in the 80s, movie and tv cameos, and even a YouTube star based on the Dave Kingman thing and All Star Game when he got hit by that bat and did a 270.

Him and Bob Eucker were baseball celebrities.

It's crazy he played for the Brooklyn Dodgers.

He was a unique baseball mind and won some championships he had no business winning (1981 and 1988) which shows his greatness as a leader. I'm still pissed at him over the later as a Mets fan but they returned the favor in 2006 and 2015.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
He was a larger than life figure. Ultra Slim Fast commercials in the 80s, movie and tv cameos, and even a YouTube star based on the Dave Kingman thing and All Star Game when he got hit by that bat and did a 270.
He was a unique baseball mind and won some championships he had no business winning (1981 and 1988) which shows his greatness as a leader..

Good summation, Lasorda was a well-rounded man .. and don't forget he had one of the early games for the Sega Genesis.. Tommy Lasorda Baseball. Good times..

Reactions: Roo Returns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad