Movies: Tomb Raider (2018)

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
So they smashed together the plots of the two games (the 2013 reboot and Rise of the Tomb Raider) to make a mishmash of a script?

Meh. Stay away from Video Game movies already.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Saw her last night on late night.

She weighs maybe 98 pounds. Suppose she is going to be beating up lots of muscle bound people.

She is smoking hot though with amazing long legs. Kind of Laura Croftish.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Is she still with Fassbender? That might be an amusing couple's fail to get video games to be at least competent.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Trailer looks mediocre, not particularly good or bad. Alicia Vikander is really thin so it won't look that believable if they have her overpowering people in hand to hand combat though, so hopefully it's more of a skill/speed/stealth type approach.

Also, did they stumble onto the set of Into the Badlands with both Daniel Wu and Nick Frost in the movie? :laugh:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Saw her last night on late night.

She weighs maybe 98 pounds. Suppose she is going to be beating up lots of muscle bound people.

She is smoking hot though with amazing long legs. Kind of Laura Croftish.

Well, there has been a 5'3 scientologist beating up bad guys and looking like world class sprinter, so I dont get too worked up about it.

Anyways, the movie looks pretty bland and forgettable. Doesn't look horrible but nothing special.

It is apparently pretty faithful to the new video game series so theres that.

Last edited:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
call me crazy but I think it looks kinda fun. pure 90 minute escapism

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The annoying thing about this to me is the games this is based on actually has a pretty good story arc.

Probably one of the better instances of character development i've seen in a while games wise. Of course they're going to ruin this by turning Lara into a emotionless robot who kills for the sake of killing.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
When have video game adaptions done well? Last one was Assassins Creed and that was such a flop.

Great actress, very pretty woman but I'm just not feeling it. I'll watch it since I've been a TR fan forever but I have no expectations.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The annoying thing about this to me is the games this is based on actually has a pretty good story arc.

Probably one of the better instances of character development i've seen in a while games wise. Of course they're going to ruin this by turning Lara into a emotionless robot who kills for the sake of killing.

That trailer says almost nothing about the story or character development, so hard to judge.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
When have video game adaptions done well? Last one was Assassins Creed and that was such a flop.

Great actress, very pretty woman but I'm just not feeling it. I'll watch it since I've been a TR fan forever but I have no expectations.

Mortal Kombat did great.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Well it looks like they are following the reboot game, don't know how close to the script they will stay on.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That trailer says almost nothing about the story or character development, so hard to judge.

Not quite. While i'm not 100% sure, the trailer did tell me a couple things because i played the games;

- Trinity is the main villain in this movie. They don't show up until the second game in the rebooted series.

- Lara looks like she's exploring some island. While not the exact, she's likely heading to a place based on where the first game takes place (Yamatai)

- The fact it shows her running around killing a couple people in the trailer with a coldness about her. Misses the whole point of her character likely (and ten bucks says they leave out the scene where Lara is tied up and about to be taken advantage of, which is why she kills anyone in the first place)

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
I like the trailer. I'm glad they got a really good actress to play the role (and no, i dont like Angelina Jolie).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
With dozens of British actresses that land American roles, this one popular British character is the one none of them can grab?

I think that her casting had everything to do with her just having won an Academy Award. That gave her credibility that the filmmakers no doubt hope rubs off on the film, itself, so that it's taken more seriously than the older Tomb Raider films, and also made her one of the current "it" girls in Hollywood. I think that they jumped at the chance to cast someone who they could market the film around, even if she's maybe not the best fit for the character.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think that her casting had everything to do with her just having won an Academy Award. That gave her credibility that the filmmakers no doubt hope rubs off on the film, itself, so that it's taken more seriously than the older Tomb Raider films, and also made her one of the current "it" girls in Hollywood. I think that they jumped at the chance to cast someone who they could market the film around, even if she's maybe not the best fit for the character.
That's exactly the case when you consider they were also looking at Daisy Ridley for the role.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
This is a fine popcorn Indiana Jones esque movie that likely nobody will go see and won't make any money. Really feels like the reboot video game series, Vikander really did a good job with the role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad