Tomas Tatar

Edge of Sanity*

What exactly is this guy's potential? After a solid rookie season in the AHL last year, he now has 16 goals, 25 assists for 41 points in 48 games this season and is a +17 on a horrible team. He also just turned 20 years old, and tore it up in the WJC... what's his potential? Second line winger?

Anchor Town*

Hopefully top 6. Will likely get one more year in the AHL to season

Dogkota

Mar 27, 2009
From watching him play on the Griffins this year, he projects to be a lot like Jiri Hudler with better wheels and less offensive touch. His numbers look decent and while they're similar to Hudler's first 2 seasons with the Griffs, Hudler absolutely exploded in his 3rd AHL season. Tatar is a few years younger than Hudler was when he first came to North America (Tatar was 18, I believe Hudler was 22). I believe that 2 more years in Grand Rapids will turn Tatar into a very useful 2nd line offensive threat for the Wings, but I will be very surprised if he matches or surpasses Hudler's 2005-2006 totals. Another thing, IMO Tatar has better hands than Hudler, but Hudler's got a much better shot.

Tatar

2009-10 58gp 16g 16a 32p
2010-11 47gp 15g 24a 39p

Hudler

2003-2004 57gp 17g 32a 49p
2004-2005 52gp 12g 22a 34p
2005-2006 76gp 36g 60a 96p

Anchor Town*

If I remember correctly, Tatar had a 7 goals game this season. It kind of help the stats :)

If he had 10 points in 5 games with 7 of them coming in 1 of those games then one might question it, but i think the sample size is big enough to it was more than just a hot game but he kid also has talent as well

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
During his stint with Detroit this season, he was the most impressive forward not named Datsyuk or Zetterberg. He was a lot quicker than I thought he'd be and he was one of those players that loved having the puck. Of course the same thing happened with Nyquist as well. Both of them turned the 3rd line around in a good way. It'll be exciting to see both of them as regulars next year.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
One way or the other his time in the AHL for the foreseeable future is surely over right?

It looks like his contract runs through the end of next season. Despite being only 22 he has spent the better part of 4 seasons in the AHL so can he even be sent back to the AHL without having to clear waivers first? Moving forward if he does have to clear waivers he isn't going to last more than 30 seconds before another team claims him (literally he will last as long as it takes the first team in line to submit the paper work). If for some reason he does spend next season in the AHL you would have to think his days in NA are numbered as he has nothing left to prove in the minors.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Will be on the Wings or part of a decent sized trade, so an NHL player next year.

Also should make the Slovakia Olympic team. Invited to the summer camp and has played in previous World Championships would be surprised if he is left off that squad.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
He will be at Detroit at next season. Out of waiver options + too good hockeyplayer to leave out from the roster.

I thought he had one more year of waiver eligibility. I do agree though he should be up with the Wings. Management always says they want their prospects to be dominant at every level and after how he looked in his call up and then winning MVP and Calder you can't ask for more.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I thought he had one more year of waiver eligibility. I do agree though he should be up with the Wings. Management always says they want their prospects to be dominant at every level and after how he looked in his call up and then winning MVP and Calder you can't ask for more.

Capgeek error. Holland has said several times since the season ended, he doesn't have waiver eligibility. Having skipped the OHL his clock started earlier, his games played I think dictates he is no longer allowed to be down there via waivers.

Wingsfan2965*

Dec 30, 2011
Tatar clearly isn't NHL ready. Detroit needs to hold him back for another year and sign Zubrus to play on a line with Samuelsson and Cleary.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Man the wings got some nice prospects.

**** the wings. Stay in the west and send over Calgary.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Man the wings got some nice prospects.

**** the wings. Stay in the west and send over Calgary.

Hehe, I like it! If only because then I'd get to tease Flames fans who've been telling me for years that "taking a plane ride once in a while is not a competitive disadvantage" :) Let's see how THAT roster handles living on airplanes :)

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar has been DOMINANT all season at the AHL level, and all 3 have shown their ability to handle NHL minutes. I'd love to see this transplanted as our 3rd line at the NHL level and bump Helm to the 4th until he shows he can stay healthy for an entire season. This line will really take the pressure off our big guns in the top six offensively and have proved to be anything but a defensive liability. The future is bright for the "Dead Wings".

Aug 6, 2012
Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar has been DOMINANT all season at the AHL level, and all 3 have shown their ability to handle NHL minutes. I'd love to see this transplanted as our 3rd line at the NHL level and bump Helm to the 4th until he shows he can stay healthy for an entire season. This line will really take the pressure off our big guns in the top six offensively and have proved to be anything but a defensive liability. The future is bright for the "Dead Wings".

If you do that we wouldn't have many top guns in the top-six.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->