Player Discussion Tomas Tatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I’d rather have Tatar than Max. I bet the guys love him a lot more too, he seems to have a great character and is a goof.

Suzuki and the 2nd are icing on the cake.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If this was year-one of Bergevin's gig we'd be anointing him a genius. The positive moves of 2018 look like the work of a GM with a master plan. The catch is we don't know whether this master plan extends beyond February. If our GM is really committed to team-building, we might be onto something; but if he's just committed to April, then all this work might end up like a sandcastle when the tide comes in.

Comes down to circumstance...

- Not able to re-sign Markov and Radulov
- Our team D takes a massive hit. Markov, Emelin, Beaulieu out. Alzner, Mete, Schlemko, Streit, Reilly in.
- Price gets hurt again
- Weber gets hurt game 1 and plays through pain for 26 games
- We draft Kotkaniemi

Rewind 16 months ago (prior to the start of last year) and people would of flipped out if you said we should trade Patch for Tatar, Suzuki, and a 2nd. Going through a year like we did last year (including the 2017 off season mess) changes things a lot!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’d rather have Tatar than Max. I bet the guys love him a lot more too, he seems to have a great character and is a goof.

Suzuki and the 2nd are icing on the cake.

Tatar and the 2nd is icing on the cake. But yes, I agree. Tatar > Patch... on our team anyways. Patch is just a nice guy with a great shot and he served us well. It was the right time to move on from him. I hope he scores multiple 30+ goal season for Vegas.

We were using Patch as our #1 forward and it was a recipe for disaster

Reactions: le_sean

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Dont you know its what have you done for me lately..???? I mean forgot all those other moves..... Bergie is da man.

With that said, Yes Bergie did good getting rid of max. I feel that just not having him here to sulk and eat up stupid money (new contract) is already a win personally.
Getting the prospect and a revamped Tatar is great and Marc /(Timmins) deserves praise no doubt.

Now for the unpopular opinion here..... TRADE EM... Nothing against him but sell while is value is sky high. New team breathes new life quite often, but that bump drops the following year.

Given his great play he could

Get that first round pick or that budding D man we need.

Simply put, I want a cup and not to be a pretender. Sell high for once!
We never ever sell high...the organization never thinks like that. It's good and bad...hard to say, but MB is already on thin ice, this trade helps make it thicker, if he trades Tatahhhh he would be voted off the island. If the Habs are in the hunt for Wildcard spot at the deadline, no way Tatahhh gets traded, even though as you say he would fetch a couple of nice assets. If they fall during Jan/Feb then it's a no brainer...wait we are talking MB here.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I don't follow. The Sabres had the 1st overall. What would make them think there was a possibility that Dahlin wouldn't be available? Dahlin was always available to the Sabres. Unless you're using stealth sarcasm.

It’s not that stealthily....

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
We never ever sell high...the organization never thinks like that. It's good and bad...hard to say, but MB is already on thin ice, this trade helps make it thicker, if he trades Tatahhhh he would be voted off the island. If the Habs are in the hunt for Wildcard spot at the deadline, no way Tatahhh gets traded, even though as you say he would fetch a couple of nice assets. If they fall during Jan/Feb then it's a no brainer...wait we are talking MB here.

Yes, I should have clarified that is was what I think Marc should do... I know very well that it isn't what Marc will do. He will tow the "anything can happen in playoffs" and push hard for that wild card. He will put short term (make PO) over the long term chance at sniffing at a cup by selling our very desirable assets in JP and TT.

Alas, Marc is gonna marc as you said. Unless we go on a slide of like 3-15 we won't be selling anyone, but will be buyers instead. Oh well.. its 2019. Just buckle up and enjoy the ride I suppose.

god damn bergie.....

Reactions: BLONG7

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I'm not sure if I'd give any credit to Pacioretty for "playing ball" when all that means is him understanding that he he won't get a 7X7M deal on the open market and he better get the 4x7M right now that's on the table playing for Gallant+LV. Nope, Pacioretty did what was best for him, and deserves no gratitude from habs fans whatsoever for that.

Yeah, phrased it the wrong way I guess. Certainly I am sure Patches was not thinking about how him signing an extension would benefit the Habs, nor should he. Fortunately the deal he was offered was a good one and he took it, which also of course meant this solid trade went forward for us.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Yes, I should have clarified that is was what I think Marc should do... I know very well that it isn't what Marc will do. He will tow the "anything can happen in playoffs" and push hard for that wild card. He will put short term (make PO) over the long term chance at sniffing at a cup by selling our very desirable assets in JP and TT.

Alas, Marc is gonna marc as you said. Unless we go on a slide of like 3-15 we won't be selling anyone, but will be buyers instead. Oh well.. its 2019. Just buckle up and enjoy the ride I suppose.

god damn bergie.....

Really cant see us going on some horrible slide, so do not see us being sellers at the TDL. My hope is that we just do not turn into buyers.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Screw the trade deadline. There's nothing for us there except playoff teams with late-round picks. Wait for the off-season and tickle a few desperate GMs who need to make the playoffs next year, like Philly, New Jersey, Arizona, Carolina, Florida. Those teams will be hungry for solid players like Tatar, Petry, or Byron, and might be open to losing a 6th to 10th OA pick because they need progress more than prospects.

I'd be happy to keep Tatar. He's a great fit. But yeah... imagine selling high and getting a better pick than we could ever get on our own.

Reactions: scrubadam

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Really cant see us going on some horrible slide, so do not see us being sellers at the TDL. My hope is that we just do not turn into buyers.
That's my guess. Bergevin is a passive spectator, unless some playoff team dangles a top prospect. That's the only scenario where I see him making a deal.

So to be clear, I'm betting he won't sacrifice anything for a futile playoff run. Old dogs can learn new tricks if the old tricks burned their noses enough.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Not too sure what the L.A. deal was but I do know that bergevin had a deal to trade pacioretty to the islanders for the 11th and 12th picks and then flip one or both to buffallo for o'reilly....... islanders backed out last minute

I don't think it was both picks , I think it was only 1 pick. I can't see Max being worth the 11 and 12th pick.

The Buffalo deal was our 3rd pick going there way, which MB didn't want to do.

I have a feeling LA deal involved Muzzin and JAD but we will never know.

there was a little known SJ deal that was tweeted about and then disappeared.

Jul 6, 2016
I don't think it was both picks , I think it was only 1 pick. I can't see Max being worth the 11 and 12th pick.

Muzzin and JAD would had been interesting too. After having seen Tatar in the Playoffs with VGK, I was not thrilled at all acquiring him.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Muzzin and JAD would had been interesting too. After having seen Tatar in the Playoffs with VGK, I was not thrilled at all acquiring him.

I am a fan of adding Muzzin to this team, would look nice next to Weber at LD and his contract is only for 1 more year. JAD=Suzki in my eyes. Both good prospects.

Tatar though has been great for the team so not having him would create a big hole up front. But I think either trade would of been good for the habs.

Jul 6, 2016
I am a fan of adding Muzzin to this team, would look nice next to Weber at LD and his contract is only for 1 more year. JAD=Suzki in my eyes. Both good prospects.

Tatar though has been great for the team so not having him would create a big hole up front. But I think either trade would of been good for the habs.

At the end, yes. Both deals are about equal, value wise.

Reactions: scrubadam

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
The Oilers are going to be ripe for the picking soon.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

It's a good reminder of how many balls are in the air during any deal, for every GM. Every trade, every UFA signing, every draft pick -- behind the end result we see are multiple options we don't see.

That's why I dislike calling a trade or signing "Lucky", because it makes it sound like it was accidental, or the GM tossed a dart. The reality is that having multiple alternatives is just how it works. Every deal ever made has another deal that almost, maybe, could've, should've, might've happened, but didn't.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's a good reminder of how many balls are in the air during any deal, for every GM. Every trade, every UFA signing, every draft pick -- behind the end result we see are multiple options we don't see.

That's why I dislike calling a trade or signing "Lucky", because it makes it sound like it was accidental, or the GM tossed a dart. The reality is that having multiple alternatives is just how it works. Every deal ever made has another deal that almost, maybe, could've, should've, might've happened, but didn't.

Great point. I just wonder what the Kings offered. From the rumors we all heard, Patch would be with the Kings if they were able to negotiate an extension

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016

I agree

We are alittle too good this year to be in the battle of the basement with the likes of LA.

All depends on what sort of players are available.... ya never know... Marc could be working the phones hard to get lucic from the Oilers

go marc :eek:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Yup, the Max deal is a good example of that. From everything we heard there was a deal on the table at TDL, then a deal with LA, then with NYI, then possibly with SJ and finally with VGK.

Players being traded can go through many permutations until we get the final result.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
That's my guess. Bergevin is a passive spectator, unless some playoff team dangles a top prospect. That's the only scenario where I see him making a deal.

So to be clear, I'm betting he won't sacrifice anything for a futile playoff run. Old dogs can learn new tricks if the old tricks burned their noses enough.

As long as Bergevin lets the other GMs that he's open for business if the offer is tantalizing, he can just sit back and wait. Nothing spectacular, nothing done as far as buying goes.

Bergevin should, however, still try to sell on Alzner, Schlemko and Benn, to get some later round picks in return. Someone will definitely bite on Benn, but maybe not on Alzner or Schlemko.

I agree that a trade might be more worthwhile in the offseason anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad