Player Discussion Tomas Tatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There's always a risk factor, with every player...Tatar isn't any different.

But it's also about expectations...I think it's fair/reasonable to expect a production of around 50pts for Tatar if healthy.

That doesn't mean i'm attached to him for the rest of his contract either.

Just a quick comment about point production. Scoring is way up. It remains to be seen if this lasts. But, a former 50 point player may now be a 60 or 70 point player. Tatar is on pace for something like 68 points. That might actually be a similar pace to what used to be 50 points.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
There's always a risk factor, with every player...Tatar isn't any different.

But it's also about expectations...I think it's fair/reasonable to expect a production of around 50pts for Tatar if healthy.

That doesn't mean i'm attached to him for the rest of his contract either.

The risk is much greater if that player puts up 34 points in an 82 game season.

By the way Tatar has one 50 point season in his career. So saying he should get around 50 points doesn't seem too fair/reasonable, unless by around 50 points you meant less then 50.

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014

By the way Tatar has one 50 point season in his career. So saying he should get around 50 points doesn't seem too fair/reasonable, unless by around 50 points you meant less then 50.
He's had 3 seasons around 50pts, playing a game of silly bugger are we

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Around 50 could be a bit more could be a bit less...and it's just based on his current pace.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

But I don't disagree with you all together, i'm not getting mesmerized by Tatar's start with the Habs...he's clearly motivated and came in with a chip on his shoulder. But it's not like I think he's turned into a completely different player.

I just think what he's showing us so far, is the type of player he's been with Detroit for most of his career, just a solid, middle of the lineup scoring winger.

Reactions: Pomee

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Around 50 could be a bit more could be a bit less...and it's just based on his current pace.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

But I don't disagree with you all together, i'm not getting mesmerized by Tatar's start with the Habs...he's clearly motivated and came in with a chip on his shoulder. But it's not like I think he's turned into a completely different player.

I just think what he's showing us so far, is the type of player he's been with Detroit for most of his career, just a solid, middle of the lineup scoring winger.

It's been less every single year except one so yeah it's slightly unreasonable. It's like when people would call Desharnais a 50-60 point player when he was a 50ish point player. It's not a big deal, but when penciling him in for a 50 points a year is setting up for disappointment. He did that once in his career, due to his hot start this year there's a decent chance he does it again this year, but beyond that I wouldn't expect it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's been less every single year except one so yeah it's slightly unreasonable. It's like when people would call Desharnais a 50-60 point player when he was a 50ish point player. It's not a big deal, but when penciling him in for a 50 points a year is setting up for disappointment. He did that once in his career, due to his hot start this year there's a decent chance he does it again this year, but beyond that I wouldn't expect it.
That's all I was saying.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Tatar is having a great season because he has a system, linemates, and a league-wide style benefiting him. Same reason Pacioretty has regressed, the league has changed.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Yeah but for some reason the guys at 98.5 are always making fun of him and his name, specially Fournier. I don't understand why,

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
This trade basically redeemed Bergevin and extended his leash by several years. Even if Suzuki busts Tatar is currently better than Patches and could later be flipped for a similar return. Max is more focused on being a dad than a hockey player anymore. That second will probably be a beauty too, we finally stopped trying to draft and mold big turds into hockey players.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
This trade basically redeemed Bergevin and extended his leash by several years. Even if Suzuki busts Tatar is currently better than Patches and could later be flipped for a similar return. Max is more focused on being a dad than a hockey player anymore. That second will probably be a beauty too, we finally stopped trying to draft and mold big turds into hockey players.
If this was year-one of Bergevin's gig we'd be anointing him a genius. The positive moves of 2018 look like the work of a GM with a master plan. The catch is we don't know whether this master plan extends beyond February. If our GM is really committed to team-building, we might be onto something; but if he's just committed to April, then all this work might end up like a sandcastle when the tide comes in.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
this was by far the best move MB did. A move that can alter a franchise. Of course though i would say this, as i believe that max was the worst captain we ever had and his floating led by example.

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
He's been very good. Even when he's not scoring, he's working hard down low for the puck. He's been the opposite of a floater so far.
That's my biggest surprise from watching him every game. I always thought of him as a perimeter scorer, but he's anything but that for us this year. He's bought into the game plan and is working his sack off all over the ice.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Was a very good player for the Wings, but then traded to Vegas and he was struggling...no one could have predicted him finding hid game again with da Habs

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Love that he's always working hard and giving max effort. Also he has to be one of the best in the league at carrying the puck through the neutral zone into the offensive zone. When our d is backed in the defensive zone, the amount of times he bails them out by curling back and always being open to receive the first pass and then just turning on the jets and glinding into the other team's zone. He's very crafty too with his stick. The guy is a win on all levels.

Reactions: overlords

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I think they said the other night that the second round pick turned into Romanov, so the deal will probably be even better.

I still believe pacioretty will fade away rather than continue having a good career too. I just have that feeling about him. It’s weird but it reminds me of when Leaf fans started hating Sundin. I just can’t stand pacioretty despite his past goal scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->