Tomas Tatar 7 points in 5 games

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I thought he was a weakling with a shot, he's actually a very competitive complete player. Leaves everything on the ice.

He's definitely no slouch. Make no mistake, his production will slow down and even be very streaky at times, but he is a spark plug type player that brings it every night. I'm happy for Tatar and glad he's having some success.

The habs fans saying he's better than Patches might want to temper their expectations a bit, though.

All three teams did well in the recent Tatar trades, which is rare.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Everything will regress to the mean eventually.

At ES he has an on-ice shooting percentage of 10.64% and a personal shooting percentage of 16.67%.

Those are high, but not ridiculously so. He obviously will regress, but Tatar is benefiting from playing on a line with possession and scoring chance machine Gallagher.

Reactions: Blue Blooded

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yes, because players never have really hot starts and massively cool off! He will get around his usual 40-45 pts and be many a night disappointing, as per his norm.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I think all Habs fans are more shocked/surprised by Tatar's level of compete than his points production, which will obviously slow down down the road.

Having watched Pacioretty hide most of the time for a decade makes us enjoy this trade when we see Tatar hustling.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Sure, but I imagine a lot of things that will never happen in real life. Unless Pacioretty develops a physical problem he'll almost certainly get back to his usual 30+ goal pace.
I dont think Pacioretty gets 30 goals this year. He might not reach that level again.

Reactions: Habs Icing

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think I was one of the few people on the main trade board who was saying Tomas Tatar isn't a throw in or a cap match; that he's part of the deal and they're picking up a decent player.

It's funny, because I don't remember a lot of people agreeing with the post lol.
I thought this was a good deal for the Canadians.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I mean.. Dylan Larkin is a # 1C?

Yes, but he's not a great one (at this stage of his career at least, lets see how he develops). I'm not sure Larkin did much to elevate Tatar. Especially since he didn't play much with Tatar at ES prior to last season.

Gallagher has been one of the best players at getting shots on net over most of his career. And he's a net front guy. He creates scoring chances like crazy. With Danault as a competent puck retriever, all Tatar needs to do is go to the net and he'll get some good chances.

Tatar's streaky and he's obvious not going to come close to a PPG pace, but he's in a pretty good position ATM to produce.

He's had 4 straight 20+ goal seasons. On a team with very few scorers, it should not be a shock that he's been able to produce.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Way to soon for this kind of thread, but even if Tatar goes the Hemsky/Semin way and Max gets back to 30 goals, I'm still OK with the trade.

I liked Tatar in Detroit, and thought Max definitely had to go, so I would have been OK with just a Tatar-Patches trade, considering their contractual situations. Of course it would've been a ridiculous return for Max's value, but in a vacuum, it would still have been an OK trade. Max just had to go, and Tatar was a good gamble.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think all Habs fans are more shocked/surprised by Tatar's level of compete than his points production, which will obviously slow down down the road.

Having watched Pacioretty hide most of the time for a decade makes us enjoy this trade when we see Tatar hustling.

Enjoy the hustle for now, when in Detroit he would hustle for 3-5 games, and then be near invisible for 10-15-20 game stretches, making him very annoying to have on the team.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Enjoy the hustle for now, when in Detroit he would hustle for 3-5 games, and then be near invisible for 10-15-20 game stretches, making him very annoying to have on the team.

Will definitely enjoy while it lasts and hope it does for longer than you expect it.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal

He's playing with Gallagher, he has no option but to hustle if he wants to follow.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Kudos to Bergevin gotta give credit where credit is due. He needed to win a trade. So far seems like he has on this one.
That and most if not all of his other moves this summer. Including the change to the coaching staff in Montreal and Laval. He definitely had a hot hand this summer. The team is like a breath of fresh air.

So far, again VERY early, but fun to watch.

Other teams are going to start being ready though.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
SecondaryBestKitten-small.gif

Im sorry, show me where a consistent 20+ goal scorer under contract for 3 years isn't worth 1/2/3? You look at all the similar trades in the past few years and you'll see teams giving up almost that much for a UFA rental. If you think that was a lopsided deal you're naive as hell.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Will definitely enjoy while it lasts and hope it does for longer than you expect it.

Tats was a pretty consistent hustler in his first couple of seasons only the past season or two did that fall off. I think he got way to wrapped up in his own head and forgot try to dipsy doodle too much. When Tats first entered the league he drove the play and created offensive via his tenacity. Hopefully that player comes back, because he is a lot of fun to watch then. He was at his best driving the net, moving his feet, and using his solid if not Max level shot. He won't get close to PPG but 25-30 goals and 50 pts is definitely something he has the skills for.

Reactions: ChikN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad