Tomas Tatar 7 points in 5 games

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
He was recovering from shoulder surgery and was bound to bounce back after last season. Even in Detroit he was being heavily carried by Larkin. Glad to see him off to a nice start

Reactions: dukeofjive

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Tatar has been terrific, but I think most of us are expecting him to level off. The irony is that he was seen as a bonus in a trade whose key piece was prospect Nick Suzuki.
Could you imagine if Tatar alone ends up being a more valuable asset than is Pacioretty?

Reactions: Hot Pockets

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I thought he was a super-genius for putting together that all-star Vegas cast?

He paid a fair price for Tartar, but sold him too low and too quickly. I know McPhee wanted a veteran personality to replace Neal, but moving Tartar pre-season was foolish. He should have given it at least 10 games to see if a clean slate (and bill of health) would allow TT to make an impact.

Bringing talent in at the deadline and then sitting them does not allow for a proper assessment on their value. Since they specifically got him because he was under contract for 3 years, treating him like a UFA and then moving him before the season started makes it look like McPhee lacks confidence and is impulsive and second-guessing himself.

Tartar is streaky and Patches always starts slow, so in a couple months the tables may be turned - either way its a safe bet that TT will still get his customary 20+ goals (at least) and then even if Patches gets his 30+ it's still going to make McPhee look silly for giving up so much for just ~10 goals.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I really like him. He's fast, shifty, really good puck handler, isn't afraid of crashing the net...

The only thing Pacioretty has on him is his release, which, granted, is one of the best in the league. But Patches can really bring his linemates down consistently handling the puck like a hot potato.

Bergevin did very well on this deal. Gotta give him that.

Sure, but I imagine a lot of things that will never happen in real life. Unless Pacioretty develops a physical problem he'll almost certainly get back to his usual 30+ goal pace.

We've seen better goalscorers than Pacioretty fall off a cliff in their early 30s and I don't see Pacioretty as a guaranteed 30+ goalscorer, long-term wise.

He used to be a very strong skater, but he doesn't have that separation speed anymore. And for a player that relies a lot on generating chances off the rush, he won't be able to take advantage of those situations as much going forward.

I had been advocating to trade him over the last three years partly because of that, but the bigger issue was his contract. McPhee didn't go overboard with the term, which is good, but I don't know if Patches will be able to live up to a 7M price tag going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDN24

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
He paid a fair price for Tartar

SecondaryBestKitten-small.gif

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
been a pleasant surprise so far. Let's say his S% drops to 12 (actually 16,7), he'd still be on pace for a 35 goals. Not at all what I was expecting from him (and to be frank, I still don't expect that). But hey, he's taking advantage of the big minutes he gets for sure.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Always been a fan of Patches but I prefer Tatar lol Patches is a complementary winger on his line that need 2 hard worker to give him the puck. Tatar gets the puck and make plays

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think I was one of the few people on the main trade board who was saying Tomas Tatar isn't a throw in or a cap match; that he's part of the deal and they're picking up a decent player.

It's funny, because I don't remember a lot of people agreeing with the post lol.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Not surprised he's doing well in Montreal. They need somebody to score and Tatar seems to be one of those 'big scorer on bad team' type of player. I could see him hitting 60 points.
It's too bad he wasn't available when Colorado needed him most. 48 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad