Tomas Sandstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

silver_made*

Just looking for some opnions and insights about him. Glanced over his '93 playoff stats and he was more productive that postseason than i recall. who today might make for a good comparison. i'd prefer to discount his career after pittsburgh, seeing as he was really washed up by the time he was a duck. were the kings better off with him than bernie nicholls, looking back at that trade? share your thoughts, por favor.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
He was one of those pretty talented players who mostly stood in the shadows of bigger stars (ie Gretzky in LA, Lemieux in Pittsburgh, Kariya, Selanne ANA, etc...) People think of him as a perimeter player. I don't.

silver_made*

Leachmeister2000 said:
He was one of those pretty talented players who mostly stood in the shadows of bigger stars (ie Gretzky in LA, Lemieux in Pittsburgh, Kariya, Selanne ANA, etc...) People think of him as a perimeter player. I don't.

as i think back, tomas holmstrom reminds me of sandy, except sandy IMO had much more offensive talent. both relentless european net crashers.

Sammy*

silver_made said:
as i think back, tomas holmstrom reminds me of sandy, except sandy IMO had much more offensive talent. both relentless european net crashers.
Pretyy good comparison, but I dont think Sandstrom was as physical as Holmstrom (he was physical but more of an agitator) & Sandstrom was a waaaay better skater (& as u say, had way more offensive talent).

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The things that I remembered about Sandstrom were a huge slapshot, great skating and that he was a very dirty player. Does anyone else remember the Dave Brown cross check? I loved Dave Brown just because of that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Leachmeister2000 said:

I don't think anyone thought of him as a perimeter player. In his prime he was in the same class as Tikkanen and Claude Lemieux - elite pests with first-line offensive skill. Sandstrom was probably the most talented of the three, though.

His legacy would be better if he wasn't injured so much. 7 seasons where he missed more than 10 games, 4 missing more than 20. If he doesn't miss ~200 games due to injury over the course of his career, he clears 1000 points in all likelihood. He also had several seasons where he was on pace for 50 goals or 100 points, and fell short due to injury ... in fact every time he's having a huge season he has the misfortune of getting hurt. 40 goals in 64 games in 86-87, 89 points in 68 games in 90-91, 52 points in 39 games in 92-93, 70 points in 58 games in 95-96.

As for the original poster's question, IMO yes the Kings were better off from that trade. Sandstrom and Granato were outstanding for several seasons in LA, and both were huge factors in the 93 playoff run. Nicholls was very good, but I don't think his impact was what those two could do combined.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
MS said:
I don't think anyone thought of him as a perimeter player. In his prime he was in the same class as Tikkanen and Claude Lemieux - elite pests with first-line offensive skill. Sandstrom was probably the most talented of the three, though.

His legacy would be better if he wasn't injured so much. 7 seasons where he missed more than 10 games, 4 missing more than 20. If he doesn't miss ~200 games due to injury over the course of his career, he clears 1000 points in all likelihood. He also had several seasons where he was on pace for 50 goals or 100 points, and fell short due to injury ... in fact every time he's having a huge season he has the misfortune of getting hurt. 40 goals in 64 games in 86-87, 89 points in 68 games in 90-91, 52 points in 39 games in 92-93, 70 points in 58 games in 95-96.

As for the original poster's question, IMO yes the Kings were better off from that trade. Sandstrom and Granato were outstanding for several seasons in LA, and both were huge factors in the 93 playoff run. Nicholls was very good, but I don't think his impact was what those two could do combined.

92-93 was an anomaly, the 10th best scorer had 123 points and Pavel Bure barely skirted the top 20.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Leachmeister2000 said:
92-93 was an anomaly, the 10th best scorer had 123 points and Pavel Bure barely skirted the top 20.

Yeah, but he was also on pace for 50 goals in 86-87, over 100 points in 90-91, and about 100 points in 95-96. And had 88 points in 88-89. In the 10 year period between 1986 and 1996 he averaged over a point per game. It's not that much of an anomaly.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Sandström was an awesome backhand-stickhandler... I've only seen one guy do better tricks on their backhand, that is Niklas 'the hurricane' Hagman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->