News Article: Tomas Plekanec wants back in....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Jonathan Drouin had his most successful 20 game split of the season AFTER Plekanec was traded (15 points in 20 games).
Jacob de la Rose had his most successful 20 game split of the season AFTER Plekanec was traded (8 points in 20 games).

Both Drouin & De la Rose icetime went up after Plekanec was traded...

Must be a total coincidence....i'm sure all of these events are completely unrelated.

What impeded Drouin to be good when Plekanec was here?

So DLR got to play with Chucky and Lehkonen and you're telling me he got some points? Amazing!!!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What impeded Drouin to be good when Plekanec was here?
Lots of factors...lack of experience playing a new position, lack of quality centers on the team to insulate him, ice time.

Of course, it wasn't all on Plekanec...but no doubt, the added icetime and responsibility Drouin go after Plekanec got traded, was a factor in the more consistent performance/production we saw from Drouin post-deadline.

So DLR got to play with Chucky and Lehkonen and you're telling me he got some points? Amazing!!!
Plekanec got to play with Brendan Gallagher all year, for years played with our best wingers and he did the same thing.

Not that you'd notice that, since it doesn't fall into your weak narrative.

Those 20 games DLR played with Galchenyuk/Lehkonen were better than any 20 games Plekanec played with Lehkonen or Hudon or Byron/Gallagher (his 2 most common linemates this year).

I mean seriously...you're going to talk about how DLR benefitted from playing with Galchenyuk & Lehkonen,

Do you know what Plekanec's most commonly used linemates were this year?

Hudon/Plekanec/Gallagher
Byron/Plekanec/Gallagher
Lehkonen/Plekanec/Gallagher

and EACH of these lines played MORE than Galchenyuk/DLR/Lehkonen.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Agreed with all of this...

But the fact our HIGHEST PAID, 2ND MOST USED FORWARD...had 24pts in 60 games at over 16 mins per game, wasn't a factor in this "suckage"???

All these guys were crap, Pacioretty, Price, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Lehkonen, Alzner were crap...Shaw, Weber, Danault missed a ton of games.

But Plekanec? He did his job...made the team better.

It's just everyone else around him that was awful.

Pffft please!

Can you stop with your ice time thing?

Here are the Equal strength points per 60 minutes of play:

Drouin 1.31
Chucky 1.48
Plekanec 1.72!

Should I tell you where those guys usually started their shifts?

But yeah it's Plekanec's fault!

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I'm not sure if I want Thomas back. Its depends on how the offseason goes. But I believe claude would love to have him back. He still is a very good defensive player but gets too much ice time. The habs will likely strike out in UFAs and Thomas will add depth. I know its early but I dont expect the habs to be a playoff team this upcoming year.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Can you stop with your ice time thing?

Why? Cause it's not convenient for you?

yet here you are, just below, making an argument based around ice time?

LOL I mean come on man

Here are the Equal strength points per 60 minutes of play:

Drouin 1.31
Chucky 1.48
Plekanec 1.72!
Considering that Plekanec played more ES minutes than any other forward not named Max Pacioretty...this isn't surprising.

Every single player, on every single NHL team that either leads his team in ES TOI or is 2nd in ES TOI...also is, drumroll please...

1st or 2nd in ES points.

There's nothing revealing about what you posted - it's an obvious. A player who plays a lot at ES, tends to also lead his team in ES scoring.

Yet you're sitting here acting like you just discovered plutonium.

Should I tell you where those guys usually started their shifts?
You can - but i'm not much of a believer in zone starts being much more than a footnote.

Reactions: groovejuice

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Plekanec wants to get 1000 games in a hab jersey but the problem lies with with the mans ego, look how he played in Toronto because he was asked to be on the 4th line. He was completely different once Babcock elevated him in the lineup and that is not just a guy wanting to be a team player. He will come back and assume the same role he had last year, if Bergevin is successful in acquiring a center we will see Drouin move to the wing and our centers will look like this:

(Not Tavares)
Plekanec
Danault
DLR

I'd rather see Drouin (or really Galcneyuk) as a center in the top 9 than Plekanec. Plekanec would have had like 10 or 15 points last season if he wasn't Gallagher's anchor until he got traded. His numbers with us would have looked more like his numbers with the Leafs: 2 points in 17 games.

Reactions: 417

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Lots of factors...lack of experience playing a new position, lack of quality centers on the team to insulate him, ice time.

Of course, it wasn't all on Plekanec...but no doubt, the added icetime and responsibility Drouin go after Plekanec got traded, was a factor in the more consistent performance/production we saw from Drouin post-deadline.

Drouin played more than Plekanec the whole year!

How about he just got better at center after 60 games? Wouldn't that be more plausible than your imaginary Plekanec thing?

Plekanec got to play with Brendan Gallagher all year, for years played with our best wingers and he did the same thing.

Not that you'd notice that, since it doesn't fall into your weak narrative.

Those 20 games DLR played with Galchenyuk/Lehkonen were better than any 20 games Plekanec played with Lehkonen or Hudon or Byron/Gallagher (his 2 most common linemates this year).

I mean seriously...you're going to talk about how DLR benefitted from playing with Galchenyuk & Lehkonen,

Do you know what Plekanec's most commonly used linemates were this year?

Hudon/Plekanec/Gallagher
Byron/Plekanec/Gallagher
Lehkonen/Plekanec/Gallagher

and EACH of these lines played MORE than Galchenyuk/DLR/Lehkonen.

So Gallagher is now our best winger? Wasn't he damaged goods not so long ago?

Gallagher has a bounce-back year and career year playing with useless Plekanec but this has nothing to do with Plekanec, right? Sure man...

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Why? Cause it's not convenient for you?

yet here you are, just below, making an argument based around ice time?

LOL I mean come on man

Considering that Plekanec played more ES minutes than any other forward not named Max Pacioretty...this isn't surprising.

Every single player, on every single NHL team that either leads his team in ES TOI or is 2nd in ES TOI...also is, drumroll please...

1st or 2nd in ES points.

There's nothing revealing about what you posted - it's an obvious. A player who plays a lot at ES, tends to also lead his team in ES scoring.

Yet you're sitting here acting like you just discovered plutonium.

You can - but i'm not much of a believer in zone starts being much more than a footnote.

Do you even understand the concept of points per 60 minutes?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Drouin played more than Plekanec the whole year!

Sigh...up until Tomas Plekanec was traded, no other forward had more TOI on the Habs except for Max Pacioretty.

How about he just got better at center after 60 games? Wouldn't that be more plausible than your imaginary Plekanec thing?
That's also what I wrote...but your ability to ignore what right in front of you prevented you from seeing it. Here, i'll post it AGAIN, see if you can catch it this time.

"Lots of factors...lack of experience playing a new position, lack of quality centers on the team to insulate him, ice time.

Of course, it wasn't all on Plekanec...but no doubt, the added icetime and responsibility Drouin go after Plekanec got traded, was a factor in the more consistent performance/production we saw from Drouin post-deadline."

I never argued Gallagher was damaged goods...in fact when most did, I argued the opposite.

So there goes that.

Gallagher has a bounce-back year and career year playing with useless Plekanec but this has nothing to do with Plekanec, right? Sure man...
I can only imagine what kind of season Brendan Gallagher would of had had he not played 80% of the season with a player who can't do anything offensively.

He had a great year in SPITE of Plekanec...not because of Plekanec.

in 61 games WITH Plekanec as his center Brendan Gallagher had 21 goals 15 assists for 36pts...decent numbers.

in 21 games WITHOUT Plekanec as his center Brendan gallagher had 10 goals 8 assists for 18pts...nearly a PPG pace.

He went from .59PPG....to .85PPG

Please.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Sigh...up until Tomas Plekanec was traded, no other forward had more TOI on the Habs except for Max Pacioretty.

Next time when you try to argue something at least make sure you know what you're talking about...

Drouin missed 5 games and Danault missed 15 games, of course, their TOI would be lower..duhhh.

But their TOI/GP was higher than Plekanec's TOI/GP!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Next time when you try to argue something at least make sure you know what you're talking about...

Drouin missed 5 games and Danault missed 15 games, of course, their TOI would be lower..duhhh.

But their TOI/GP was higher than Plekanec's TOI/GP!

Up until Plekanec was traded...no, their TOI/GP was not higher.

Jonathan Drouin especially, saw his icetime rise following the trade.

Anything else?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Up until Plekanec was traded...no, their TOI/GP was not higher.

Jonathan Drouin especially, saw his icetime rise following the trade.

Anything else?

Yeah! Stop spewing bs.

After 60 games, that's when Plek got traded:

Drouin TOI/GP 17:21

Plekanec TOI/GP 16:18.

Anything else?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

Gallagher's numbers were even better after Plekanec got traded ;)

Before Plekanec got traded, in 60 games he had 21 goals, 15 assists, and 36 points. That's a pace of 28.7 goals and 49 points in 82 games.

After Plekanec was traded, in 22 games he had 10 goals, 8 assists, 18 points. That's a pace of 37 goals and 67 points in 82 games.

I can't wait to see Gallagher play a whole season without Plekanec. Last year I was screaming at the TV for Julien to get him off Plekanec's line and put him with Pacioretty and Danault. This is one of many bad coaching decisions that has me thinking we have a lot of good pieces that just weren't used well. Galchenyuk should be playing center, Shaw should have been out of the top 9 much sooner, Paccioretty shouldn't have been on the half wall for half the season, Galchenyuk should have been (when they made the switch our pp went from bottom to top 5 in the league), Carr and Deslauriers should be fixtures on the 4th line wings, don't get me started on Alzner's usage and the dcore, etc...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah! Stop spewing bs.

Anything else?
Congratulations on winning a very small battle.

While Plekanec had seen more TOI overall, he did play 4 more games than Drouin had at that point. I'll concede that point.

Reactions: Belial

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah because you're using the ice time wrong.
It's really just a sidebar...it's not the main crux of my argument.

But if that's what you want to hang your hat on, by all means...

What about all the other arguments that I was right and you wrong on?

ES production?
Gallagher's production?

Guessing you're not going to address those huh? Just call victory because I was 30 seconds off TOI/G?

Break out the champagne I guess

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Gallagher's numbers were even better after Plekanec got traded ;)

Before Plekanec got traded, in 60 games he had 21 goals, 15 assists, and 36 points. That's a pace of 28.7 goals and 49 points in 82 games.

After Plekanec was traded, in 22 games he had 10 goals, 8 assists, 18 points. That's a pace of 37 goals and 67 points in 82 games.

I can't wait to see Gallagher play a whole season without Plekanec. Last year I was screaming at the TV for Julien to get him off Plekanec's line and put him with Pacioretty and Danault. This is one of many bad coaching decisions that has me thinking we have a lot of good pieces that just weren't used well. Galchenyuk should be playing center, Shaw should have been out of the top 9 much sooner, Paccioretty shouldn't have been on the half wall for half the season, Galchenyuk should have been (when they made the switch our pp went from bottom to top 5 in the league), Carr and Deslauriers should be fixtures on the 4th line wings, don't get me started on Alzner's usage and the dcore, etc...

Yes he produced better but the whole team started to put up more points as soon as there was no more pressure and it was a lost cause...

Just like when Chucky scored 30 the other year we tanked...

It's weird but it seems like playing with no pressure helps... Look at Vegas this year...

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It's really just a sidebar...it's not the main crux of my argument.

But if that's what you want to hang your hat on, by all means...

What about all the other arguments that I was right and you wrong on?

ES production?
Gallagher's production?

Guessing you're not going to address those huh? Just call victory because I was 30 seconds off TOI/G?

Break out the champagne I guess

Again, you're using the TOI wrong because you don't take into consideration the deployment IMO.

If you think starting the majority of your shifts in the offensive zone against weaker opposition is the same thing as starting the majority of your shifts in the defensive zone against tougher opposition than be my guest...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Again, you're using the TOI wrong because you don't take into consideration the deployment IMO.
I do take into consideration deployment...I just reach different conclusions than you do.

If you think starting the majority of your shifts in the offensive zone against weaker opposition is the same thing as starting the majority of your shifts in the defensive zone against tougher opposition than be my guest...
I don't think it's the same thing...again, I just draw different conclusions.

Zone starts only measure zone STARTS...they don't depict what happens AFTER the puck is dropped for the faceoff.

You can't wrap up all events in zone starts to just where the draw is happening and disregard all the other things that happen afterwards.

As with most stats, without context, it's just information...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yes he produced better but the whole team started to put up more points as soon as there was no more pressure and it was a lost cause...

It's weird but it seems like playing with no pressure helps... Look at Vegas this year...
It was a lost cause in November/December.

While I do somewhat agree with you regarding production in lost seasons and having to take that into consideration.

There's no doubt that Brendan Gallagher's production increased when he started playing with Drouin because he started getting better quality chances period.

You can't go on ignoring factors that don't mesh with your narrative and just propping up those that do.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I don't think it's the same thing...again, I just draw different conclusions.

Zone starts only measure zone STARTS...they don't depict what happens AFTER the puck is dropped for the faceoff.

You can't wrap up all events in zone starts to just where the draw is happening and disregard all the other things that happen afterwards.

As with most stats, without context, it's just information...

What context man? This is your context!

One deployment is a lot more favorable to production than the other, there's no if and but here...

It was a lost cause in November/December

Well, mathematically they were still hanging in there...

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

Yeah look at Vegas this year. There's no pressure in the playoffs and they're killing their opponents. You make a lot of sense.

Chucky had his highest point per game two seasons ago to start the year, before he got injured. It had nothing to do with no pressure.

And last year, the main reasons they did better after the deadline had nothing to do with pressure, they were out of the playoffs long before that. After the deadline they got rid of old slow players and brought in young players Juulse, Reilly, Mete, and Alzner split from Petry, Shaw was moved out of the top 9, Scherbak was called up, and of course Plekanec being traded was a huge addition by subtraction. Then we started to suck again at the end of the season, when Pacioretty, Danault, Mete and others went down with injury. It showed how Pacioretty was still important to this team.

I'd rather we tank, but if we go with youth and speed from the start of the season, and play our forwards in the proper positions, I could definitely see us pushing for the playoffs IF our young players like Scherbak, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Hudon, Lehkonen, Juulsen, Mete, Reilly, and say Zadian are ready to step up.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah! Stop spewing bs.

Anything else?
The fact that Drouin, playing on the top line and getting first unit power play time could only average a minute more of ice-time than Pleks, who should have been playing no higher than the third line, is a damning indictment of Julien's over-dependency on scrubs. How is Drouin supposed to create offense when he barely gets more ice time than the offensive black hole known as Plekanec? He can't score from the bench but that's where he is when Pleks is gobbling up all that ice-time. You want to know why this team is offensively challenged? This is why. Because the players who are paid to provide offense aren't getting the lion's share of the minutes. Julien is more focused on trying to prevent the other team from doing things than he is in trying to get his own team to create something.

Plekanec creates nothing. His job is about prevention only. But having him for 60 games last season prevented nothing. The roof still caved in on them. So if Pleks can't even provide this team with the one element he's supposed to be good at, what's the point of bringing him back? All he's going to do is siphon off ice-time that should be going to more offensive-minded players.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What context man? This is your context!

One deployment is a lot more favorable to production than the other, there's no if and but here...
Again, i'm not big on attributing much importance to zone starts...it's just information to me, I don't draw far reaching conclusions based on a stat that has no context.

You think differently and that's fine.

Well, mathematically they were still hanging in there...
The games in October/November weren't any more or any less meaningful than the games in February/March/April.

The Habs didn't play many meaningful games this year period.

So that "pressure" argument is out the window

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad