Speculation: Tomas Jurco (Update: signed to AHL contract)

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Tomas Jurco is still a free agent. The fact that he hasn't signed in Europe yet tells me he wants to stay in the NHL, but wants a 1-way contract. Because surely, teams must have offered him a 2-way deal given his solid AHL numbers, right?

He mostly played in the minors last season, but finished the season with the Blackhawks and had a decent 6 goals and 10 points in 29 games. That's something like a 15 goal, 28 point pace in a full season. He also scored 4 goals in 7 games for Slovakia at the World Championship.

I lurked around the Hawks board after last season ended and many of their posters seemed open to keeping him around. While he may not have great hockey IQ, he has the speed and the hands of the modern NHL. Should he not be a viable 14th forward somewhere? Any takers?

At the age of 25, It surprises me he's not at least on training camp somewhere. But of course we don't know if he was invited by a couple of teams but declined...

Edit: Update with quotes from Jurco in post #11

Update jan 3rd:
Signed to AHL deal by the Seattle Thunderbirds.

T-Birds Sign F Tomas Jurco to AHL Contract | Springfield Thunderbirds

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Maybe. I'm a Ducks fan and when Bob Murray is your GM you are used to the likes of Steve Oleksy getting 1-way deals. *Scratches head*

McRib

#SoldierFields
May 2, 2014
He just isn't that good, I could see some team weak on the wings giving him a 1 year, maybe Vegas gives him 2-way, re-unites with GG

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
He is injured. Something bad with his back, so he must rest about 3 months.

But he said, he had few very interesting offers from NHL teams. So, to write he is done, is at now prematurely.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Tomas Jurco is still a free agent. The fact that he hasn't signed in Europe yet tells me he wants to stay in the NHL, but wants a 1-way contract. Because surely, teams must have offered him a 2-way deal given his solid AHL numbers, right?

He mostly played in the minors last season, but finished the season with the Blackhawks and had a decent 6 goals and 10 points in 29 games. That's something like a 15 goal, 28 point pace in a full season. He also scored 4 goals in 7 games for Slovakia at the World Championship.

I lurked around the Hawks board after last season ended and many of their posters seemed open to keeping him around. While he may not have great hockey IQ, he has the speed and the hands of the modern NHL. Should he not be a viable 14th forward somewhere? Any takers?

At the age of 25, It surprises me he's not at least on training camp somewhere. But of course we don't know if he was invited by a couple of teams but declined...

We know he can handle the puck and has a decent + shot.
Does he have any defensive aptitude at all?
Just askin, I have no idea. If so that would help more than if he is a 1 dimension guy.

Today, no from Rangers,

but

I could see Zuc, Namest, Spooner all moved in deals for picks. Even Zib, 1C who righty shot could be 1RW.

That means at that point, everybody moves up.
1 yr deal, he competes for W 4th line to start, maybe pushes 3rd line but I doubt it.
I think he has to cave on 1 way demand, but if enough salary is cleared out w/NY taking more picks/prospects than salary, I could see them being classy and throwing him a few bucks more.
To realize that, would have to be a signing bonus, right?
So salary is not manipulated whether at the N or the A by where he is.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Article published on november 9th:
Tomáš Jurčo: Stále mám na NHL

Apparantly he underwent back surgery two years ago, and recently had a second surgery. He has returned to skating and is looking to make a comeback around new year.

Quotes:

"I would like to play in the AHL, and then come back to the NHL. After my surgery two years ago, I started playing with Detroit right away and I didn't feel ready. That's why I'd rather start in the minors. I don't know which team I'll play for, I'm leaving everything up to my agent. I believe he will help me".

"I'll have time for the KHL later. I'm still a young guy who desires to compete with the best in the world. I'm not ready to go to Russia. I believe I can still play in the NHL."

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Thanks for published article info here.

What I said prior stands.
If NY moves excess surplus, they might bite, but otherwise, will want him to show enuf hustle and defense

Reactions: Elvs

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I wouldn't be opposed to Chicago bringing him back now on the cheap.

Why not? Colliton is very familiar with him and used him a lot. Quenneville is gone and wasn't a fan but Q is 3+ years behind the times. Jurco was in Qs doghouse and not Collitons. Does mean he still can't pan out for a second chance on a show me something to contract.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I'd try him out in Hartford. Lindqvist just left to go back to Europe, and I think we could use another top-6 guy in Hartford with Chytil, Andersson, and Howden all looking like they'll stick.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Great guy and a good team player but wow did he fizzle out. One player I was pulling for to light it up in Detroit but never happened

Honestly would take him back in Detroit.

But why? Help with the tank?

Unless you're talking AHL where he could get burned for depth and work his way up by league minimum for sure

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Great guy and a good team player but wow did he fizzle out. One player I was pulling for to light it up in Detroit but never happened

But why? Help with the tank?

Unless you're talking AHL where he could get burned for depth and work his way up by league minimum for sure

Maybe this latest surgery fixed his back issues and he can return to the Jurco we were enamored with. Why not take a chance on the cheap?

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
I mean you can let him start in Grand Rapids. I mean Helm and Abby can go off the top of my head or if you ship Nyquist out and move someone else up and pencil Jurco in. ( I'm not trying to say he would replace his production)

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I mean you can let him start in Grand Rapids. I mean Helm and Abby can go off the top of my head or if you ship Nyquist out and move someone else up and pencil Jurco in. ( I'm not trying to say he would replace his production)

Nobody is taking Abdelkader's contract and Helm is a long shot himself. Even then, both are better than Jurco.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad