Tomas Holmstrom to officially retire

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/01/red_wings_tomas_holmstrom_expe.html#comments

Tomas Holmstrom, the best net-front presence in the NHL over the past 15 seasons for the Detroit Red Wings, is expected to announce his retirement soon, now that the lockout is over.

Holmstrom, who turns 40 on Jan. 23, informed the club of his intentions a while ago. The team did not want to make an announcement during the work stoppage. It will hold a news conference at Joe Louis Arena, likely before the start of the season.

and with that, the last member of the 98 cup winning teams is officially gone.

Time flies

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
An absolute warrior, I hope enjoys retirement, remember hearing he will stay in the area too. So hope to see him around the Joe, as a Wings fan thanks for all those years and all that effort Homer.:handclap:

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
His body will be grateful. Homer's time here will not be forgotten. He was an integral part of the team for so many years. I'll miss seeing his grimace on the bench.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Much respect for the role he's played on this team for years...another key cog on this club for years is leaving us. The late 90s are so long ago even I'm starting to feel a little old.

Best wishes to Homer!

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I wonder if he stays in Michigan or if he moves back to Sweden. Lidström lives in Sweden now...

He's rich enough to commute back and forth to Sweden for visits if he wants, so perhaps he stays in the US anyway.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Gonna miss Holmstrom's skill and antics in front of net. A true warrior, but would be a liability going forward. Enjoy Homer!!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wonder if he stays in Michigan or if he moves back to Sweden. Lidström lives in Sweden now...

He's rich enough to commute back and forth to Sweden for visits if he wants, so perhaps he stays in the US anyway.

He said he was going to be staying in the Detroit area when he retired during earlier interviews.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
He said he was going to be staying in the Detroit area when he retired during earlier interviews.

He doesn't strike me as a person who would wanna stay in the U.S after retiring.. especially not with his english :laugh:

As some already said... time flies by.... every player from my childhood has now retired

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He doesn't strike me as a person who would wanna stay in the U.S after retiring.. especially not with his english :laugh:

As some already said... time flies by.... every player from my childhood has now retired

I think it is his kids and wife driving that, but like I said I know he has said it before, I think as recently as when Lidstrom retired, so not too long ago.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Fun fact, Holmstrom was my very first jersey.(Back in 1998) Holmstrom holds a very dear place in my heart and will forever remain one of my all time favorites.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
It's when the Holmstroms, the Selannes, the Jagr are set to retire, you know you're getting older. Best wishes to him, was one of my favorite players growing up. It showed that even if you couldn't skate like the wind, even if you didn't have a great shot, you still had your place in hockey.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Thanks for all the faithful years, Homer! Been a member of the team for as long as I've been a fan, pretty much.

RedWingsNow*

Was long past time for him to go. Amazing what Homer did in this league with the skills and athletic abilities he had.
Few player I've seen worked harder and put up with more abuse.
He's had a great career most players would kill for, and he's deserved every minute of it.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Loved Homer. Good luck to him in his future endeavors. Does anyone know if he's sticking around here or moving back to Sweden? Now, if only Cleary would retire too.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
really sad that we won't see him play anymore, but i think it is the proper time to retire.

it was not long ago when bowman told homer he would not last more than a couple of years, but he had a really amazing career. 4 cups, one of the best crease monkeys of modern NHL, never missed the playoffs, recognized throughout the NHL, fan favorite.

and he got almost all of that through very, very hard work. he was not an especially talented player (thus bowman's comment), but kept working and took probably more abuse than any player i have seen, regularly played through injuries, and even after the rules were changed, he was still getting crosschecked and held and slashed regularly.

best of luck to him back at the north pole. :D or wherever he goes.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
NHL-goaltenders reacting to NHL is Back and Homer is retiring on the same day:

rjWn6.gif

ashenhigh

Aug 27, 2008
Los Angeles
the JLA needs a statue of Homer, that guy has been essential to our success. That man deserves the best medical attention the rest of his life. Sacrificed his back for the Wings. Will never forget what Homer has done for this team, his Sweglish speech, or his great humor.

#96 :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad