Tom Wilson takes down Panarin, fined $5k for roughing Buchnevich - Part 5

Kukaruchku

Mar 14, 2011
That’s just it, a lot of whataboutism over the past 24 hours. This sequence needs judged in the Tom Wilson vacuum. At any point the NHL could change it’s stance and start protecting it’s star players, setting a precedent moving forward, but they didn’t.

You don't actually think that this incident would cause to make a so called precedent, with all of the stuff that's occurred in the NHL in the last 20 years, do you?

Last edited:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Demonstrably false.
The fact that you said he got penalized four minutes for roughing says enough - he broke a rule [Rule 51.1]. Why do any rules need to be changed when he already broke a rule???

Could also hit him with Aggressor [Rule 46.2] ruling. Both roughing and aggressing have been the basis of suspensions before, and the NHL rulebook even explicitly says, DoPS does not even need a penalty to take supplemental discipline - their ruling can be supplemental to any penalties on the ice, or can even supersede/contradict any previous calls [Rule 28].

$5000 is not even the max fine they could have given him. If they could've been bothered to pick up the phone and offer him a telephone hearing, they could have fined him double that [CBA 18.7 (b), (d)].

To say they would need to make up a rule, change the rules, or that that was all they could have done is asinine.
I didn't say he was innocent. He got what he deserved. But I'm saying it wasn't a suspendable play according to DoPS. Maybe you should learn to read.
I will tell you what was a suspendable play. That would be Crosby driving Konecny's head into the ice. Are you whining about that play too.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
That’s just it, a lot of whataboutism over the past 24 hours. This sequence needs judged in the Tom Wilson vacuum. At any point the NHL could change it’s stance and start protecting it’s star players, setting a precedent moving forward, but they didn’t.
Why should the star players get treated differently? They shouldn't but they do. And that is a fact.
It was so obvious when Chandler Stephenson, a first time offender got 3 games for elbowing and around the same time McDavid only got a fine for a worse play. A deliberate elbow. And McDavid was a repeat offender.
The NHL already protects it's stars.

Reactions: Smokin krak koken

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I'll just add my two cents having looked at the video a few times as I'm sure it was when it was reviewed.

Wilson punched Bach's shoulder. Either by accident or intent. I can't guess at someone's intentions in the moment so that's what he punched. And that's what he should get fined for.

Panarin was the third man in jumping on Wilson's back with his stick around Wilson's throat at the start. (likely unintentional). At the time Panarin does this, Wilson was already wrestling with another Ranger. Making Panarin the THIRD MAN IN. And more importantly, a WILLING combatant.

Wilson either grabs Panarin's hair or his jersey and chucks him to the ice (they both fell) but Panarin gets the worst of it because he's smaller.

WE DO NOT SUSPEND SOMEONE FOR GETTING BEAT UP WHEN THEY ARE WILLING COMBATANTS IN MUTUAL COMBAT.

Wilson tries to pin Panarin after slamming him to the ice. He doesn't do much more in the scrum. And for whatever reason, everyone keeps their gloves on? Is this because of the nhl rules or definition of a "fight"? Seems odd and on purpose.

The Rangers need to 'man' up. Your boy got slammed but he was the one who jumped on Wilson's back. Don't start fights with people who can smash you.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
"Horrifying act of violence." Pretty embarrassing statement by NYR. Sure he probably should have gotten a game or two given our brand new culture of extreme sensitivity, but no need to let everyone see just how shook Wilson got you.
Can you guys not read. He shouldn't have gotten suspended because it wasn't a suspendable play. They would have to change the rules to legally suspend him.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I didn't say he was innocent. He got what he deserved. But I'm saying it wasn't a suspendable play according to DoPS. Maybe you should learn to read.
I will tell you what was a suspendable play. That would be Crosby driving Konecny's head into the ice. Are you whining about that play too.
It's a suspendable play if they decide it is. That's true about literally every play, and that's the point of the DoPS. That does not mean they are infallible or can make the wrong call.

I assure you I can read :laugh: and have read the NHL rulebook and CBA.
You stated that was the max they could do. It simply wasn't. I don't mind sending you the PDFs if you would like to read them yourself and see where Wilson's actions lie and what actions the DoPS had at their disposal.

Crosby's play has nothing to do with this play and is whataboutism, at best.
I do think Wilson's was more malicious, his punch on Buchnevich in particular was completely unprovoked and inexcusable, and I do think that Wilson's history of lengthy suspensions does hold him to a different standard, and any discipline against him should be escalated.

Reactions: FanInFtWorth

Kukaruchku

Mar 14, 2011
I'll just add my two cents having looked at the video a few times as I'm sure it was when it was reviewed.

Wilson punched Bach's shoulder. Either by accident or intent. I can't guess at someone's intentions in the moment so that's what he punched. And that's what he should get fined for.

Panarin was the third man in jumping on Wilson's back with his stick around Wilson's throat at the start. (likely unintentional). At the time Panarin does this, Wilson was already wrestling with another Ranger. Making Panarin the THIRD MAN IN. And more importantly, a WILLING combatant.

Wilson either grabs Panarin's hair or his jersey and chucks him to the ice (they both fell) but Panarin gets the worst of it because he's smaller.

WE DO NOT SUSPEND SOMEONE FOR GETTING BEAT UP WHEN THEY ARE WILLING COMBATANTS IN MUTUAL COMBAT.

Wilson tries to pin Panarin after slamming him to the ice. He doesn't do much more in the scrum. And for whatever reason, everyone keeps their gloves on? Is this because of the nhl rules or definition of a "fight"? Seems odd and on purpose.

The Rangers need to 'man' up. Your boy got slammed but he was the one who jumped on Wilson's back. Don't start fights with people who can smash you.

Nicely said................no...............perfectly said!!!!!

The Grim Reaper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
South Philly
Why should the star players get treated differently? They shouldn't but they do. And that is a fact.
It was so obvious when Chandler Stephenson, a first time offender got 3 games for elbowing and around the same time McDavid only got a fine for a worse play. A deliberate elbow. And McDavid was a repeat offender.
The NHL already protects it's stars.

Because that’s literally the unwritten code of the NHL, established before either of us were born. You can target star players legally (like with big hits), roughly them up a little after the play (face washes, light slashes, pushes, scrums, etc), but the code starts when serious injury is a possibility. The code is a respect for the game, and if you respect the game, you don’t aim to seriously injure star players.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Learn the rules and DoPS procedures before opening your mouth.
Says the individual who says they need to change the rules in in order to punish Wilson because there is no rule for the rule that he broke...?

Again, I sourced the NHL rulebook and CBA. There are also historical precedents I would love to cite for you on players being suspended for similar plays and using the same rules.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It's a suspendable play if they decide it is. That's true about literally every play, and that's the point of the DoPS. That does not mean they are infallible or can make the wrong call.

I assure you I can read :laugh: and have read the NHL rulebook and CBA.
You stated that was the max they could do. It simply wasn't. I don't mind sending you the PDFs if you would like to read them yourself and see where Wilson's actions lie and what actions the DoPS had at their disposal.

Crosby's play has nothing to do with this play and is whataboutism, at best.
I do think Wilson's was more malicious, his punch on Buchnevich in particular was completely unprovoked and inexcusable, and I do think that Wilson's history of lengthy suspensions does hold him to a different standard, and any discipline against him should be escalated.
No it isn't. If they have no rule for it they can't suspend him.
You are right about the Crosby play. That was worse. That was intent to injure by slamming his head to the ice.
Wilson just rag dolled Panarin because he is so much stronger. But I do guarantee that if Wilson slammed Panarin head into the ice like Crosby did he would have gotten 20 games or more.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Says the individual who says they need to change the rules in in order to punish Wilson because there is no rule for the rule that he broke...?

Again, I sourced the NHL rulebook and CBA. There are also historical precedents I would love to cite for you on players being suspended for similar plays and using the same rules.
Like I said for what he did he got about the max penalty for what he did. I never said he was innocent. He got 4 mins for roughing a 10 minute misconduct and a fine.
Sorry but DoPS decided it wasn't a suspendable play. I knew right when it happened and everyone starting crying about it that he wouldn't be suspended.
Can you answer this one? Why wasn't Crosby suspended for what he did. That is definitely a suspendable play.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Stuff like this is why it gets harder and harder to take the NHL seriously. I am grew up watching hockey in the 90's. I really miss the hitting and fighting that has been taken out of the game. What I don't miss is the thug nonsense that a player like Tom Wilson constantly seems to get away with.

He literally grabbed bread man's hair and pulled him down to the ice with the back of his head making first contract. He honestly could have f***ing died. So the NHL has made a serious effort to take hits and fighting out of the game, but a thug like Wilson with his history is able to slam a guys head off the ice without a suspension. Absolute f***ing joke. Good for the Rangers for tweeting what they did. If bread man got a concussion from that I would bring litigation against Wilson and the NHL.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

Someone here finally gets it.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Stuff like this is why it gets harder and harder to take the NHL seriously. I am grew up watching hockey in the 90's. I really miss the hitting and fighting that has been taken out of the game. What I don't miss is the thug nonsense that a player like Tom Wilson constantly seems to get away with.

He literally grabbed bread man's hair and pulled him down to the ice with the back of his head making first contract. He honestly could have f***ing died. So the NHL has made a serious effort to take hits and fighting out of the game, but a thug like Wilson with his history is able to slam a guys head off the ice without a suspension. Absolute f***ing joke. Good for the Rangers for tweeting what they did. If bread man got a concussion from that I would bring litigation against Wilson and the NHL.
His head never hit the ice.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Perfect. Not even close to suspension worthy
Great point. A guy with a history of being a scumbag thug grabbing someone by the hair and slamming the player to the ice with the back of his head making first contact is clearly not suspending worthy. What's it going to take, someone dying before shit like this is eliminated from the game.

The Grim Reaper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
South Philly
So now you are talking unwritten rules and codes........................don't think that you can suspend for that unless you make up new rules on the fly............get your head out of your a**................this was Mickey Mouse shit ffs!!

I didn’t say you could suspend for unwritten rules. I just wanted to help you understand why most HFB posters, NHL commentators, NHL insiders, and former players don’t like this sequence and response from the NHL.

Kukaruchku

Mar 14, 2011
Great point. A guy with a history of being a scumbag thug grabbing someone by the hair and slamming the player to the ice with the back of his head making first contact is clearly not suspending worthy. What's it going to take, someone dying before shit like this is eliminated from the game.

Like they said on the NHL network today, yes, yes it will...............because Wilson didn't do it...........they don't suspend for what might have happened............get over it!!!

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
All I know is it could have been way worse and that is what people are trying to avoid and letting a clown like Wilson get away with this means it's open season to do it again. Next time might be way worse and people who enable this will be to blame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad