Player Discussion Tom Wilson, NHL All-Star (Part 3)

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
He followed the rules and got suspended seven games. Yes he has a history but has changed his game. Isn’t that the point, to get players to adjust?? Apparently it’s not, it’s about public appearance.
I just don’t think we will agree on the, and probably most Caps fans won’t agree with me. That’s ok.

My frustration is, IMO, Wilson is not a very smart player. He doesn’t realize he had a target on his back. He doesn’t realize, with a 3-0, lead, not to fight a rookie.

He needs to be smarter. And the leadership of this organization does nothing to help. The quote above from Ovechkin is a big part of this problem.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I just don’t think we will agree on the, and probably most Caps fans won’t agree with me. That’s ok.

My frustration is, IMO, Wilson is not a very smart player. He doesn’t realize he had a target on his back. He doesn’t realize, with a 3-0, lead, not to fight a rookie.

He needs to be smarter. And the leadership of this organization does nothing to help. The quote above from Ovechkin is a big part of this problem.

I was in agreement when Wilson was suspended for the Oscar Sundquist hit, it was a bad hit and not smart. Wilson has done a great job of adjusting his game to fit the rules. And now he is getting punished for doing it the right way

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He doesn’t follow the rules, that is why he is constantly suspended. There are bigger guys than him, that finish their checks, they don’t have these problems. There are smaller guys than him, that get in trouble. Size is a cop out.

You can’t see that this guy can’t control himself?

I have read and listened to the league's explanation. Tell me how he was out of control?

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA

That is just silly. He is plenty smart. Emotional... yes. He has been running around hard the last couple of weeks. 29 months without a suspension. He cleaned it up. And this hit wasn’t illegal. full stop. Unfortunately, Wilson again on the radar of the DoPS. This too is dangerous because it forces him to be extra soft which puts himself in danger. People will take liberties on him.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Also, he kinda had to answer the bell with Tinordi. Again, he is a bit old school. So he dropped them. Tinordi tried pretty hard to go. And then Frederick did the same. At least he got the instigator.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

On the contrary. He is a very smart player. Its why he is so good as an all situations player. You realize how rare it is to have a first line player that is also pk1 and pp. A player that is on the ice for the last shift whether you are going for a goal or defending against one. Much of that is learned response and skill.

Where this hit is concerned Laviolette and the league video tick off the by the numbers text book requirements for that hit. He didnt stride. He was in a glide. He didnt launch upward. He hit a player already against the boards rather than dangerously away from the boards. His elbows, forearms and stick were tucked down. He didnt hit from behind. He didnt leave his skates.

One more thing. He has a job. The Capitals are built to win playoff series by hitting and delivering consistent pain. They create fear and bad decisions. By the 4th or 5th game opponents are sore and skiddish. All of the Caps that hit take these penalties. Backstrom takes more boarding penalties than Wilson

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Also, he kinda had to answer the bell with Tinordi. Again, he is a bit old school. So he dropped them. Tinordi tried pretty hard to go. And then Frederick did the same. At least he got the instigator.

Tinordi was running around f***ing with other players right before that, too. Some dirty shit on Hathaway in the crease immediately comes to mind.

The Bruins went looking for shenanigans and they found it. Ultimately it cost both teams a player, and the series was split.

Next.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I have read and listened to the league's explanation. Tell me how he was out of control?
He drove his head into the glass with this hands. Looked reckless to me. It was unnecessary.

How many times does one need to be suspended before the realize they need to change what they are doing?

Now, it’s the team’s problem. You may not like it, but it is what it is. We can’t have a player on this team, that for reasons totally within his control, consistently at risk of suspension. The team does not decide who gets suspended, the league does.

You either address the issue, or it persists. What any of us think is or isn’t a penalty is irrelevant.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
On the contrary. He is a very smart player. Its why he is so good as an all situations player. You realize how rare it is to have a first line player that is also pk1 and pp. A player that is on the ice for the last shift whether you are going for a goal or defending against one. Much of that is learned response and skill.

Where this hit is concerned Laviolette and the league video tick off the by the numbers text book requirements for that hit. He didnt stride. He was in a glide. He didnt launch upward. He hit a player already against the boards rather than dangerously away from the boards. His elbows, forearms and stick were tucked down. He didnt hit from behind. He didnt leave his skates.

One more thing. He has a job. The Capitals are built to win playoff series by hitting and delivering consistent pain. They create fear and bad decisions. By the 4th or 5th game opponents are sore and skiddish. All of the Caps that hit take these penalties. Backstrom takes more boarding penalties than Wilson

I agree with this, which are s why I want Tom Wilson on the ice, not getting in pointless fights, or getting suspended.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
He drove his head into the glass with this hands. Looked reckless to me. It was unnecessary.

How many times does one need to be suspended before the realize they need to change what they are doing?

Now, it’s the team’s problem. You may not like it, but it is what it is. We can’t have a player on this team, that for reasons totally within his control, consistently at risk of suspension. The team does not decide who gets suspended, the league does.

You either address the issue, or it persists. What any of us think is or isn’t a penalty is irrelevant.
It was addressed. 29 months without a suspension.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

hey Tom, please don’t forcheck when backstrom dumps the puck. Please don’t support the other wing in a board battle. Please don’t use your speed and size to force the opposition off their game and help us win. Yeah that’s what I want.....

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Remember what I said about a media circus?? This guy posts Ov saying nothing with "HMM" added and this room explodes. It only gets worse til he signs and all because he is simply not doing it in the media. He's not going to say, "We have it all done and I am happy. We cant sign it and announce it until after the expansion draft, though. We want to protect an extra player."
I think they were looking for along the lines of “Mac and I have talked.” I don’t think anyone is looking for anymore than that. Slow your roll there champ.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
hey Tom, please don’t forcheck when backstrom dumps the puck. Please don’t support the other wing in a board battle. Please don’t use your speed and size to force the opposition off their game and help us win. Yeah that’s what I want.....

Or, we can just continue to ignore the problem, until he gets suspended for a year.

Whether you think the league is responsible for the problem, or Tom Wilson is responsible for the problem doesn’t matter. The cards are dealt. The team needs to figure out how to fix this problem. Continuing to sweep it under the rug is only going to make this work.

If you had a kid, and they are always getting arrested, you would tell him to clean up his/her act. You would say the police are watching. Whether it’s unfair or not, it’s still your problem.

Reactions: Jags

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012

He was out of control because he ignored the perfectly legal hit that was available and ended up crushing a player's head into the glass. If that hit is placed ~8 inches to the right, there is nothing to talk about. He was out of control because it's blatantly obvious that with his suspension history he simply cannot afford to make this hit.

He screwed up and let a young opponent get him so riled up that he lost all proper judgement and control of the situation, with assistance from Ovechkin.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Carlo lowers his head. Wilson's hands and stick and elbows were down and contact was initiated shoulder to shoulder. The league said in the video that this hit was at worst borderline and is common place in the game. That its not suspendable. They added the caveat that this was different because it was Wilson. Which is a crock

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
He doesn’t follow the rules, that is why he is constantly suspended. There are bigger guys than him, that finish their checks, they don’t have these problems. There are smaller guys than him, that get in trouble. Size is a cop out.

You can’t see that this guy can’t control himself?

as I said in the Bruins game day thread (which @AlexBrovechkin8 — can we leave that thread open and rename is the “Wilson Suspension Discussion” thread? This should have its own thread, IMO as this one is now getting cluttered w all things suspension).....you cannot compare what Wilson can do to anyone else. His size isn’t the issue. It’s his size AND speed.

find me some players that hit the bill. Only one close is Josh Anderson, and he’s not as fast or as offensively talented as Wilson.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Does that seem like a long time to you?
You said he needs to change. And he has significantly cleaned up his game. And yes, 29 months is a long time. There are plenty of players who haven’t gone that long. And if that hit was delivered by anyway he would be on his way to 30 months clean.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Or, we can just continue to ignore the problem, until he gets suspended for a year.

Whether you think the league is responsible for the problem, or Tom Wilson is responsible for the problem doesn’t matter. The cards are dealt. The team needs to figure out how to fix this problem. Continuing to sweep it under the rug is only going to make this work.

If you had a kid, and they are always getting arrested, you would tell him to clean up his/her act. You would say the police are watching. Whether it’s unfair or not, it’s still your problem.
I will agree moving forward we have to assume Tom will not get a fair shake (even more so then before). How we deal with that I’m not sure. The last thing you want to do is tell him to play at 80% all the time.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I will agree moving forward we have to assume Tom will not get a fair shake (even more so then before). How we deal with that I’m not sure. The last thing you want to do is tell him to play at 80% all the time.
Been dealing with that for years. Kinda like have an old OV. He is dangerous but you have to live with his shitty defense (although he is much better now - just like Wilson is much better at watching his dangerous hits). Live by sword / die by the sword. I’m still in on having Wilson.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Seems like a bit of an awkward one for the league as I get that it's a bad hit, but it wasn't really a board, it wasn't a charge, it wasn't really a hit that specifically targeted the head....

It didn't really fit in any box, so it once again highlights that the league is slow, ineffective and reactive when it comes to this stuff.

I watch the hit and I'm not going to sit here and defend it, but the justification from the league just reads like them saying "this didn't technically break the rules but we don't like it so here's some punishment"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->