Player Discussion Tom Wilson, NHL All-Star (Part 3)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Interesting take.

I would guess they didn't expect this much but I doubt they were clueless about it either. Wasn't it Pierre McGuire commenting at the draft that he would have been the prototypical Flyer? The team that picked immediately after the CAPS that draft?

McGuire did say that. After that he would also say when Willy was playing 4th line stuff and fighting a lot that he was a legit scorer too. I just remember the way McPhee seemed to prioritize Wilson over Forsberg.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I think in between the Dumoulin hit and the ZAR hit in 2018 they’ve given Wilson 3x the games they’d give a first time offender, that’s the most consistent thing, but then they can never suspend him 1 or 2 games like maybe they could have done for the Buch hit

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
I still believe Tom should have appealed it. Anything that 'sticks' at this point, is just more 'poo on the wall that is Tom Wilson, unfortunately. Even this week's $5K fine will be remembered as being the "maximum allowable" in any future "totality" analysis by DOPS. And I'm pretty sure there will be another...

I guess not appealing was based in part on being told (sotto voce) that Bettman was behind the 7-game decision.

Unfortunately, there's the possibility that the haters will say Parros did the equivalent of a make-up call in not suspending Willie for Monday's event(s).

Reactions: RandyHolt

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Haven't seen this posted here yet but wow:

Report: George Parros Didn't Want To Suspend Tom Wilson For Brandon Carlo Hit

“Parros, we’ve heard, didn’t even want to suspend Wilson for the brain-damaging assault on Boston’s Brandon Carlo, who suffered mood changes and blurry vision from his concussion after being hospitalized by Wilson in March,” The Athletic’s Rick Carpiniello reported.

According to Carpiniello, it was NHL commissioner Gary Bettman who overruled Parros on the decision to suspend Wilson.

“Bettman didn’t like the optics and ordered a suspension. So Wilson got seven games,” Carpiniello wrote. “Before that, he wasn’t even considered a repeat offender, because the CBA erases priors after a certain period of time transpires.”
Because of course.

Also, "brain-damaging assault." More ridiculous hyperbole.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Only player I have seen neutralize Tom?

Ryan F'in Reeves

And it was for 1 game. I stick to my guns and say it was a mistake for Vegas to bench him especially after scoring and winning. Instead, we ran roughshod and physically destroyed Vegas, starting with Willy demolishing (and I contend injuring) Karlsson.

Sep 19, 2008
yohm0v6iukx61.jpg

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia

Ryan F'in Reeves

And it was for 1 game. I stick to my guns and say it was a mistake for Vegas to bench him especially after scoring and winning. Instead, we ran roughshod and physically destroyed Vegas, starting with Willy demolishing (and I contend injuring) Karlsson.
I’m pretty sure Reaves and Wilson have squashed their beef now. I said this in another thread, not that it really matters tho I guess.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

Ryan F'in Reeves

Chara too

It’s like Wilson is the Marchand deterrent and Chara was the Wilson deterrent

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I want Tommy Tommy Wilson to come out for every game like Ross “Mad Dog” Madison.

Or they could introduce him like they do Ogie... “Ohhh this young man has had a very trying 8th professional season. What with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country’s refusal to accept him.... wellll, I guess that’s probably more than most 27 year olds could handle. Tommy. Wilson!”

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad