Player Discussion Tom Wilson, NHL All-Star (Part 3)

Kukaruchku

Mar 14, 2011
I’m a pens fan, I’ve spent the last 2 days defending the guy to exactly the type of people you are talking about.

I literally screen recorded the video and slowed it down. You can see the rangers forward momentum gets him caught between Wilson’s chest and his stick, long story short, the ranger dragged Wilson down. Gravity is a real bitch.

Anyway, after having shown this to people - they are still claiming Wilson drove his stick in a downward motion towards the guys neck - and then put his body weight on him.

Video clearly shows him punching the guys shoulder, doesn’t matter - he punched him in the head!

Panarin stepped up and got his ass beat. So what. Nobody bats an eye when it’s a legitimate fight and someone gets slammed to the ice.

This is insane-o world. Very much reflects the current state of society too. Just delusion and truth based upon feelings, not cold hard facts. Scary.

Very nice explanation. I made the same on the main site, then asked the guy that was so mad at me if he needed a hug..............then got an admin warning...........hmmm.............you are right............society today is quite the treat!

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
And do you understand that Panarin is a grown man who clearly assumed that risk? Give your guy some credit. He is capable of making that decision and dealing with the consequences. He doesn't need your protection, and he does not benefit from your outrage.

Also take a moment and think about what you're suggesting here. It is the height of conceit to presume that one should be able to simultaneously attack someone AND expect the person he's attacking to protect him from harm. Panarin is choosing to put himself at risk, and that's his choice to make. He knows exactly who Tom Wilson is and what he's getting himself into.

Wilson threw him to the ice, and when he tried to get back up to attack him again, he threw him down again. This isn't a choreographed comedy film where Wilson can choose to do the "big brother" thing and place his hand on Panarin's forehead and hold him at bay while he swings at nothing. No, Panarin was coming at him and he stopped him. It looks ugly because of the size mismatch that Panarin thumbed his nose at when he chose his opponent.

Stop treating Panarin like an infant that needs your protection. He chose his battle and he took his lumps. He doesn't need the entire hockey world out there making it sound like he's a wuss. He deserves far better for standing up for his teammate than this horseshit narrative everyone's so bent on selling us.
Might actually be one of my favorite reads here. Very well said.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Everything every player does on the ice is potentially lethal at the level that you are using "potentially." So your logic (see "tautology") is as weak and shaky as your knees. The irrefutable fact about the world is that all things entail risk, so the mere statement that something is risky is irrelevant. What matters is the relative level of risk, which is what you don't address and what makes this discussion with you pointless. Begone forthwith to your fainting couch![/QUOTE]

I pictured Bob doing this and crying out "Oh the inhumanity!" in a fey voice. And lol'ed accordingly....

Reactions: Eirikrautha

leemalk

Dec 6, 2011
As dirty as what Willy did and it’s the NHL. This shit happens.
Those plays aren't even comparable. Konecny is clearly pinning Crosby tie and the two are engaged in a scrum. Buchnevich was a defenseless player laying with his face on the ice and Wilson punches him. Not to mention, he didn't even do anything to agitate Wilson in the way Konecny did to Crosby.

leemalk

Dec 6, 2011
Are you shitting me?
So am I to believe that at some point Buchnevich tied Wilson down and they had a scrum beforehand? I guess that missed in the videos.

I'm just trying to understand what Buchnevich did that warranted to punch to the back of his head.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
So am I to believe that at some point Buchnevich tied Wilson down and they had a scrum beforehand? I guess that missed in the videos.

I'm just trying to understand what Buchnevich did that warranted to punch to the back of his head.

Kicked at the Caps goaltender after the whistle. The last thing the Caps need right before the playoffs is for their most consistent goaltender to be hurt.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Those plays aren't even comparable. Konecny is clearly pinning Crosby tie and the two are engaged in a scrum. Buchnevich was a defenseless player laying with his face on the ice and Wilson punches him. Not to mention, he didn't even do anything to agitate Wilson in the way Konecny did to Crosby.

My apologies. We've been talking here about Panarin, not Buchnevich. I'm not interested in defending Wilson's punch on Buchnevich. It was uncalled for and escalated the hell out of the whole thing.

For the last several pages, we've been discussing Panarin and how Wilson threw him to the ice. Those two incidents are absolutely comparable, especially in the specific context of our discussion. One is a guy throwing a smaller guy down to the ice to be done with him. The other is a guy deliberately driving another player's head into the ice repeatedly.

It's also comparable because of the history of such incidents from both Wilson (who gets clobbered by DoPS regularly for it) and Crosby (who gets parades thrown in his honor). Both guys have a history of vicious, impulsive behavior, but one gets villified by the league and hockey press and the other relentlessly praised by those same groups.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

I’m not sure but Willy shouldn’t have punched him in the back of the head. That was dirty. In regards to Sid, he pushed the guys face into the ice 3 times. What happened before that does not justify it.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Is this the right room for an argument?

iu

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
The thing that amuses me most about this whole incident is that the main board threads are already at around 4600 comments, if you include the DOPS threads. The Athletic published 3 separate articles about it today, with comment counts of 700/350/500. The 700 is on the article from Tarik, who gets 25-50 comments normally. Counting up the reddit threads on just \hockey, its somewhere on the order of 18500 comments over 20+ threads.

Our media is consumed by clicks, and Tom Wilson generates clicks and interactions. ESPN has got to be loving that this is the first big story since they signed the TV deal (the NHL maybe not so much), because everybody's willing to contribute their take about Tom Wilson.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
The thing that amuses me most about this whole incident is that the main board threads are already at around 4600 comments, if you include the DOPS threads. The Athletic published 3 separate articles about it today, with comment counts of 700/350/500. The 700 is on the article from Tarik, who gets 25-50 comments normally. Counting up the reddit threads on just \hockey, its somewhere on the order of 18500 comments over 20+ threads.

Our media is consumed by clicks, and Tom Wilson generates clicks and interactions. ESPN has got to be loving that this is the first big story since they signed the TV deal (the NHL maybe not so much), because everybody's willing to contribute their take about Tom Wilson.
What's funny is this is I can't remember the last time the league got this much publicity. I can't think of McDavid even coming close on a national scale in the United States.

Lots of main board claims on how this stuff is "killing the game" and why the league is failing. Right.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I know that's what you want, but it's not happening. You'll just have to live with the fact that your (and most other anti-Wilson posters around here) take on what happened was wrong and shows a complete lack of understanding of the game of hockey. The fact that the DOPS, who would like nothing more than to destroy Tom, couldn't find a way to further penalize him just goes to show that everything that happened was handled appropriately by fines or penalties on the ice. You could learn from this, but you probably won't...

LOL at calling me an anti-Wilson poster. I was one of the people defending him the most back in 2014-15 when some people here thought he was a bust and would never be anything more than a 4th line plug.

Dude, what I want is for Wilson to play closer to the line. One of these days he’s going to get another 7-20 game suspension for a blindside hit to the head in a playoff game and it will cost us by losing one of our best players at the worst possible time.

I want him to LEARN how to play right on the edge of the line without fully crossing it, especially if the whistle has already blown. He was doing exactly that FYI in the 2018 playoffs, demolishing guys without completely crossing the lines of legal play.

I grew up in Montreal, played hockey at a high level most of my life, I’ve trained with pro ice hockey players from Europe. I know hockey, I played with and against absolute goons that would try to take your head off any chance they had. I know hockey, you don’t need to worry about my understanding of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->