Player Discussion Tom Wilson, NHL All-Star (Part 3)

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
First of all, I didn't bring up the children, the person I was responding to did, let's just get that clear.

Second, the analogy is between a skull crack and a spear in the eye, I spelled it out quite plainly at the end of my post. Basically the point is, if someone took an action against a capital's player that was extremely dangerous, but they didn't end up with major damage (blinded), would you still be upset or would you say other people would be accurate in saying you were "whining like children" which is what the OP that I was responding to said originally.

You just compared a child throwing a tantrum to an orphan crying about their parents' murderer getting away.

That's basically your whole thought process. Do you not see where this can be considered distasteful? It's meant to create highly evocative and emotional imagery to put the Rangers organization into some misguided sympathetic light.

The Rangers are like an orphan who just witnessed their parents' murderer get away. That sir, is disgusting. And you know it.

Eirikrautha

I don't think it was, and the public backlash will force them to reconsider. I think they'll keep the $5K for the Buchnevich part, and then they'll suspend him for the Panarin part.
I know that's what you want, but it's not happening. You'll just have to live with the fact that your (and most other anti-Wilson posters around here) take on what happened was wrong and shows a complete lack of understanding of the game of hockey. The fact that the DOPS, who would like nothing more than to destroy Tom, couldn't find a way to further penalize him just goes to show that everything that happened was handled appropriately by fines or penalties on the ice. You could learn from this, but you probably won't...

Reactions: Calicaps and Drakon

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I've probably been one of the biggest critic of Wilson here from the Caps side, I really don't like what he did and thought he deserved to be suspended. It wasn't a hockey play, it has no place in the game and it's an attempt to injure (at least the Buchnevich part).

However, the statement from the Rangers is embarrassing. "Horrifying act of violence", they make it seem like he stabbed a guy on live television.

Did they really need to go that far in their statement? Is this what now qualifies as a "horrifying act of violence"? Are the Rangers going to call 911 and have Wilson arrested?

I think the NHL needs to step in and regain control of the situation. Review Wilson's punishment and increase it if needed, put out a final ruling + statement with no further comments from anyone in either the Rangers or Capitals organization.

you know what regains control? Fine the Rangers $1 mil and a draft pick.

no way is Wilson getting a revised/increased punishment. Legal action would be inevitable and quick from the Caps and or Wilson’s team after they made up rules along the way last suspension.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
body slamming Panarin was too much, really going to be pissed if he is suspended for this.

giphy.gif

I don't think the Panarin part of this incident deserves any attention from the league at all. He's a willing participant in that scrum and the aggressor in his altercation with Wilson. He's not a victim. He just chose to fight someone much bigger and stronger. And despite all the thousands of people out there speaking on his behalf, I bet he'd prefer everyone drop it because being regarded as a helpless victim has got to feel emasculating as hell.

I liked his level of scrap; that someone took a swing at a defenseless teammate and he went after him regardless of the mismatch. And that he was unabashed about going at it the way he did, cuz jumping on a guy's back only emphasizes how tiny you are. It's like an Ewok trying to take down a Stormtrooper...

UPyfI85.jpg

...except, you know, in this case the Ewok got, like, easily flung to the ground and shot in the face. But ya gotta admire his spunk, is my point.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
NHL has lost control. Caps with their crazy violence meme last night. Followed by the Rangers rediculous statement. This is turning in soccer where there is lots of acting and crying to get what they want. I don’t believe at all that Panarin suffered an injury because of the incident. Maybe he did but based on Quinn saying he was fine and then all of the sudden changing his story the next day in conjunction with the Rangers statement clearly just trying to take a pound of flesh after getting beat and bounced from playoffs.

So no... the league will not make any changes to their decision. To do so would be catastrophic for the league. But he is now on double secret probation.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's not disclosed anywhere though, they just say: "This guy gets fined $5K and that guy is out for the next 4 games".

It's a lottery, I thought for sure Wilson would get more for this than he did for the hit on Carlo.

Why? They went thru all the possible violations and he was not guilty of any of them. They admitted that. He hit the guy really hard.

Eirikrautha

That's basically your whole thought process...
Sorry, gotta disagree with you here. There is no "thought process." Just blind emotion. The poster feels that what Tom did was bad, so it doesn't matter what actually happened, what this is comparable to, or how common this is in the game. All that matters is what that person feels.

This is what happens when you have several generations of children who are given trophies just for participating, are never told no, and are treated like they or their opinions matter. They get such an inflated opinion of themselves that they believe what they "feel" is more important than reality. So there is no point arguing, because the basis of their objection isn't rational. You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

I'm honestly surprised they haven't compared Tom to Hitler yet. You know it's coming... they have no sense of proportion. Just the wild flailing of spoiled children...

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
I LOL’d at this.

Statement From The Pittsburgh Penguins
The Pittsburgh Penguins are extremely disappointed that Flyers defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere was not shot into space for his horrifying act of violence tonight at Wells Fargo Center
I actually REALLY hate that attempted crosscheck from Ghost. Reminded me of Hunter, and I f***ing hated that hit too. There's nothing there but straight up intent to injure after the play.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
Sorry, gotta disagree with you here. There is no "thought process." Just blind emotion. The poster feels that what Tom did was bad, so it doesn't matter what actually happened, what this is comparable to, or how common this is in the game. All that matters is what that person feels.

This is what happens when you have several generations of children who are given trophies just for participating, are never told no, and are treated like they or their opinions matter. They get such an inflated opinion of themselves that they believe what they "feel" is more important than reality. So there is no point arguing, because the basis of their objection isn't rational. You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

I'm honestly surprised they haven't compared Tom to Hitler yet. You know it's coming... they have no sense of proportion. Just the wild flailing of spoiled children...

I’m a pens fan, I’ve spent the last 2 days defending the guy to exactly the type of people you are talking about.

I literally screen recorded the video and slowed it down. You can see the rangers forward momentum gets him caught between Wilson’s chest and his stick, long story short, the ranger dragged Wilson down. Gravity is a real bitch.

Anyway, after having shown this to people - they are still claiming Wilson drove his stick in a downward motion towards the guys neck - and then put his body weight on him.

Video clearly shows him punching the guys shoulder, doesn’t matter - he punched him in the head!

Panarin stepped up and got his ass beat. So what. Nobody bats an eye when it’s a legitimate fight and someone gets slammed to the ice.

This is insane-o world. Very much reflects the current state of society too. Just delusion and truth based upon feelings, not cold hard facts. Scary.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I’d love to have Tom on the leafs! Who on the rangers will possibly do anything to him tomorrow? Nobody
They're welcome to try. Can't speak for any other fans but I'm good with any retaliatory outcomes. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

There's also no better team for a war than this one. I'm sure they'd kind of welcome it from a team-building standpoint. But by no means would I expect them to initiate it. Whatever happens tomorrow will be on NYR and what they want to start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad