Player Discussion Tom Wilson, Part 3

Discussion in 'Washington Capitals' started by Calicaps, Feb 27, 2019.

1. g00n t0m WiLs0n PhAnBoI

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Read several of my posts detailing why just about any hit is "illegal" per the boarding rule.

Wilson is also one of the most prolific hitters. By sheer volume alone some injuries can be expected, even accidental ones. Especially accidental ones.

2. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Photographer
    Dichotomy gets the vocabulary award for the day. :clap:

3. twabby Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Incidental or not, accidental or not, it was a reasonable outcome given the hit Wilson was trying to deliver. This wasn't some freak one in a million accident. He missed his target, and he has missed his target several times before. Had his hand not made contact with Carlo's head, it's reasonable to believe Carlo's head would not have slammed into the glass violently, which according to the DoPS video is why this hit was suspendable. Indeed the slo-mo video shows to me that Carlo's head does not move toward the glass until Tom Wilson's hand impacts his head. And if there was not a lot of force, and it was merely a grazing blow or similar, then Brandon Carlo's head would not have flown into the boards like it did and he would not have sustained an injury like he did. It doesn't matter that his hands weren't extended from his body, his hands came up high and hard. I'm not going to quibble about "primary" point of contact because this isn't an illegal check to the head, it's boarding. Boarding does not require the head to be the primary point of contact, it does not require it to be a hit from behind. It was a significant impact with the head because if it were not significant, then Brandon Carlo's head would not have violently impacted the boards and he would not be out week-to-week with a concussion or other head/neck injuries.

Of course Wilson can legally hit guys, but he like everyone else accepts a risk if it goes wrong. The DoPS did not say he could make contact with a player's head along the glass with his hand and make it violently impact the boards. It's grasping for straws to say that Tom Wilson did everything the DoPS asked for here. Just because he didn't leave his feet, or pick the head, or similar does not mean that Tom Wilson has done everything the DoPS asked for. The DoPS has asked for him to stop committing illegal penalties that result in significant injuries.

You can make the argument that you think Carlo was not defenseless. However, I think it's unreasonable to say that you are 100% sure that he was not defenseless, and I think it's unreasonable for anyone to say that the NHL is unreasonable to say that they think he was defenseless. I think there is some doubt in both opinions, but as a repeat offender and perhaps the most dangerous player in the league it is reasonable to say that Tom Wilson does not deserve the benefit of this doubt where other players in the league would deserve the benefit of this doubt. Hence, the comments by Elliotte Friedman's contacts around the league.

I think the reaction here that this was 100% clean and that the NHL f***ed up royally is just sour grapes whining and wholly unreasonable. If you think it should have only been a 2 game suspension, ok fine. I won't fully agree, but I get it. If you think he should have gotten 20+ games, ok fine. I won't fully agree but I get it.

But to say that he should have received nothing and that it was 100% clean is unreasonable, given his history, given the circumstances of the hit, and given the injury. And on the other hand if the NHL levied a 50+ game suspension I do not think that would have been a reasonable outcome either. 7 games is a perfectly reasonable suspension length given everything.

Dessloch and Hivemind like this.
  4. Calicaps NFA

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    editor
    :facepalm: So now the standard becomes "reasonableness." The goalposts move again. And that right there is why we say the Wilson rulebook is different. The standards change to meet the circumstances, which, you know, makes them not really standards in any meaningful sense. Ok.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  5. Calicaps NFA

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    editor
    Those descriptions are objectively meaningless because they don't define "violent" or "dangerous." Do they presume that a hit which doesn't cause injury was not violent or dangerous?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  6. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Devil’s Advocate, Caller of BS
    If Backstrom makes that hit and destroys Carlo, is he getting suspended? If so, I’d take that number whatever it is.

On a hit like this, the only fair course of action is to treat all players alike. This was not some egregious mugging or attack....it was a great hockey check and unfortunately the dude lowered his head and he got bounced....

7. crab Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Remember when Backstrom got suspended for cross-checking in the playoffs against the Bruins? A guy that had no previous suspensions, clean history, a play that was questionable at best and similar infractions have never been suspended.

The NHLs supplementary discipline is a joke, was a joke and I expect it to continue to be a joke.

You had the father of an active NHL player in charge at one point and now an ex-plug enforcer. The whole system needs to be changed.

8. Hivemind We're Touched

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Do you need hockey-specific definitions for those words? Just use the dictionary ones. As is mentioned right in the rule, boarding is a call that relies heavily on judgement. It was judged that the hit was dangerous and violent. Do you really disagree about that? He drove the dudes head into the boards at full speed.

Dessloch likes this.
  9. Calicaps NFA

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    editor
    Yes, I do need specifics. Based on the DoPs video, if Carlo hadn't been injured, the hit wouldn't have been deemed violent. But I'd say most big body checks are violent. The outcome shouldn't be the defining factor... because if it is, then there's no definition at all.

Any rule that relies that heavily on judgement isn't much of a rule. For the purposes of whether a guy gets a penalty, a game misconduct, a suspension, etc... I think the league should be able to be precise. Whose judgement should govern? If a bunch of league insiders say it was a hit that happens regularly, what's the value of that judgement? The subjectivity here is insane.

10. HTFN Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Using the dictionary definition we've seen at least 20 violent collisions into the boards tonight. That's what hitting is.

11. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Photographer
    MacLellan did a presser today. I can guess that they could put a spin on it otherwise that he was out to comment on Tom Wilson. My take is that he is very pissed off with the league. You should see it for yourself, but he says 3 things about it.

1. Nobody knows the ins and outs and whats legal and not about body checking in the NHL than Tom Wilson. The team and the referees and the league have talked to him and set the boundries for him. He said that with that in mind this play doesnt fit into anything they have told he not to do and he doesnt understand the league response. Mac said the league didnt like the outcome of the play. 2. He said that on 3 occasions he has gone to the league after plays with Oshie where the outcome was bad and be told no action is required each time. 3. He said "This catagory of the totality of the circumstances" he is not sure how anything fits in that and how they are going to use that going forward. He didnt say it but you could read between the lines that he thinks that catagory was invented specifically to use against Wilson

This also the 2nd time the league has moved the goalposts retroactively to go after Wilson.

12. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Devil’s Advocate, Caller of BS
    Sucks to get unfairly targeted by the weepy few or their agents....in this case, that agent, the NHL, only caring about optics and complying to appease.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME, Calicaps and txpd like this.
  13. Fred22406Capsfan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Glad to have you back, sir!

upload_2021-3-19_21-36-27.jpeg

14. ALLCAPSALLTHETIME Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    7-0 without Wilson. Caps making a big statement.

Get back in there, Willy!