Player Discussion Tom Wilson - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Willy should be banned... pure gold Jerry! That means the league basically conspired to get us a cup, letting the leagues most feared power forward play hockey. At the expense of the lowly Isles of course.

It is impressive how bent they are about the hit from 5 years in which the leagues small and maybe oldest Dman gets run over by the leagues best hitter.

I still blame the Isles brass for thinking he could survive a playoff series vs us, especially with Martin and his fellow punks upping the ante by consistently throwing THE latest hits I think I have ever seen.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I love that Wilson has taken the questionable hits out of his game, but I'm starting to think he may have gone a little too far in the opposite direction. When is the last time he threw a big hit? I haven't watched every minute of every game recently since they've been starting late, but I haven't seen a big one in a while.

I hope he hasn't completely shut down that part of his game.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Wilson is a special type of player - and power forward - and he really has cleaned up his game this year - there was never any need for him to hit high, so, he has learned. Now, he is a force in all three zones, a dangerous offensive player, AND can cleanly annihilate opponents and shift games singlehandedly. EVERY single team in the league would love to have him. Let the haters hate.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Wilson ranked 5th in the entire playoffs last season in even strength points. Wilson was 5th on the team in even strength goals during that regular season.

Seems to me that his production this season is proof that last season and playoffs weren't an outlier. As his career path has shown a steady step forward in his game every year, I see nothing about this season that suggests that its deceiving.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I love that Wilson has taken the questionable hits out of his game, but I'm starting to think he may have gone a little too far in the opposite direction. When is the last time he threw a big hit? I haven't watched every minute of every game recently since they've been starting late, but I haven't seen a big one in a while.

I’m hoping the ultra scaled back version of Wilson is temporary. He needs to get to next season without stepping out of line so I think this is him being extra cautious and learning the ropes of what is being demanded of him.

He shouldn’t have to turn the volume down this low forever and it’d be a shame if he did.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’m hoping the ultra scaled back version of Wilson is temporary. He needs to get to next season without stepping out of line so I think this is him being extra cautious and learning the ropes of what is being demanded of him.

He shouldn’t have to turn the volume down this low forever and it’d be a shame if he did.

Really not sure how far down the volume is turned. In just the last couple of weeks he has destroyed Anderson who was trying to hit him. He also destroyed Cole in a fight after the Kuzy thing. I think Reirden has taken him off of search and destroy. Like Ovechkin. You see it when you have to see it right now. Come playoffs I think the both of them will be dialed up all the way

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Anderson one was mentioned here already but he had a big hit in the corner against the Ducks which lead to turnover and the Carlson goal.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Really not sure how far down the volume is turned. In just the last couple of weeks he has destroyed Anderson who was trying to hit him. He also destroyed Cole in a fight after the Kuzy thing. I think Reirden has taken him off of search and destroy. Like Ovechkin. You see it when you have to see it right now. Come playoffs I think the both of them will be dialed up all the way

Problem is dialing Wilson all the way up could get him Raffi Torres level suspension if he makes a mistake. Ovechkin/Oshie/Orpik/DSP, sure.

It's why I want to get a guy like Ferland or Simmonds (pref the former) and have them hit like Wilson would without the stigma. Keep Wilson delivering hits when the perfect opportunity presents itself (like the Anderson one) and being ready to drop gloves/be in their face as much as possible. He can also add some lowkey dirty stickwork to his game that is not suspendable but would infuriate other teams.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Problem is dialing Wilson all the way up could get him Raffi Torres level suspension if he makes a mistake. Ovechkin/Oshie/Orpik/DSP, sure.

It's why I want to get a guy like Ferland or Simmonds (pref the former) and have them hit like Wilson would without the stigma. Keep Wilson delivering hits when the perfect opportunity presents itself (like the Anderson one) and being ready to drop gloves/be in their face as much as possible. He can also add some lowkey dirty stickwork to his game that is not suspendable but would infuriate other teams.

Yeah interestingly the league seems to prefer that.

*emphasis on your last sentence.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I don't know. Looks like Wilson has the volume up tonight just fine. The leafs can sure hear him

I will say he does seem to be “pumping it up” lately. Probably just an increased comfortability with where the lines are drawn and also slowly getting out of the “Holy, crap you can’t have another this soon” window of the post-suspension and closer to the playoffs. These games are starting to really matter. You can feel the intensity picking up leaguewide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad