Player Discussion Tom Wilson - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Shameless Willy Fangirl reporting in! Maybe more than any other player on this team, Tom's contract and progression reinforces for me that Bmac and Mahoney have a vision for the franchise and a deep understanding of the individuals involved. They had a clear sense of who he was and who he could be from the start.

It's part of why all the clamoring around here to trade this guy or that guy at the first sign of decline or struggle is such a consistent eyeroller for me.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I find that statement absurd. Bertuzzi finshed 3rd in goals and 5 in points one season and had 6 seasons in a row of solid production (50 points +) with 2 of those being a good amount over a point a game.

I agree, it’s a bold take and Bertuzzi was doing this in the heart of the dead puck era. West coast express was a beauty.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I couldn't care less about RMNB's opinion on Tom Wilson.

Especially from Peter Hassett. Dude wrote a joke of an "article" about Wilson coming back to the Caps lineup that was essentially just gifs of questionable hits by Tom Line Tom.

If it was up to Hassett, Wilson and Orpik would have been gone and Burakovsky would have been a top line winger. He is garbage.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Didn’t mean to imply I am a big fan of Hassett’s by posting the RMNB article because yeah I’ve kind of grown tired of his analysis. But I did enjoy looking at the graphs showing that Tom Wilson is good at hockey by like any objective measure.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I find that statement absurd. Bertuzzi finshed 3rd in goals and 5 in points one season and had 6 seasons in a row of solid production (50 points +) with 2 of those being a good amount over a point a game.

Bertuzzi has a 45 goal and 36 goal season back to back. Before and after he was solid. Take that flash out of the mix and Wilson is better now. More imoactful now.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Didn’t mean to imply I am a big fan of Hassett’s by posting the RMNB article because yeah I’ve kind of grown tired of his analysis. But I did enjoy looking at the graphs showing that Tom Wilson is good at hockey by like any objective measure.

Never change Twabby! Lol....”graphs”....

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Bertuzzi has a 45 goal and 36 goal season back to back. Before and after he was solid. Take that flash out of the mix and Wilson is better now. More imoactful now.

“More impactful is tougher to put a number on”. Well done moving the goalposts from “better”.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

So take out Bertuzzi at his best, 2 seasons worth by the way, but include Wilson at his best, is your argument? Whatever.

Talk to me when Wilson has done this for something in the neighborhood of 4-5 seasons, not 23 games, please...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I loathe Todd Bertuzzi. He's scum and one of my least favorite players of all time. I hated him before the Moore incident, and then far more afterwards. Combine that with a later stint on the Red Wings (who I didn't like growing up due to sweeping the Caps in the finals plus being a Forsberg/Sakic fan) and I really didn't like him.

That being said, claiming that Wilson is better than Bertuzzi is patently absurd. Todd Bertuzzi had 85 and 97 point seasons during the dead puck era and another 71 point season after the lockout. He finished 5th in Hart trophy voting and was the First Team NHL All-Star at right wing in 2003.

Jun 15, 2007
Just looking back at that contract negotiation with GMBM, the things said publicly, BMacs desire for long term.... My faith in GMBM to steer this ship clear of any troubled waters for the next 10 years is confirmed.

There is no player in the entire NHL at $5.17 that I'd rather have locked up long term.

What does this even mean? There are like 3 players at that cap hit so it doesn't mean a lot.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I loathe Todd Bertuzzi. He's scum and one of my least favorite players of all time. I hated him before the Moore incident, and then far more afterwards. Combine that with a later stint on the Red Wings (who I didn't like growing up due to sweeping the Caps in the finals plus being a Forsberg/Sakic fan) and I really didn't like him.

That being said, claiming that Wilson is better than Bertuzzi is patently absurd. Todd Bertuzzi had 85 and 97 point seasons during the dead puck era and another 71 point season after the lockout. He finished 5th in Hart trophy voting and was the First Team NHL All-Star at right wing in 2003.
There us really no point in comparing Wilson to Bertuzzi. They played in different eras. We should be comparing Wilson to players that are playing now.
BTW the game has changed since Bertuzzi played. He probably wouldnt be as effective.

Last edited:

Jun 15, 2007
It means I think TW is an excellent value and I think BMac outsmarted a lot of people by seeing the value in his future. Would it have made more sense to you if I had just said "around $5M" instead of being exact?
Morgan Rielly? Number one defenseman signed at 5m a year.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Hate it when I have to agree with you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad