Tom Wilson or Josh Anderson

Who is better?

• Total voters

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Wilson is the better player with the worse contract

25 teams would take him at that contract. And about 25 teams would take Josh Anderson at the same price, I think he'll get the same deal as Wilson, because he's just as good (maybe more talented actually).

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Good poll, and a tough choice. Wilson has the slight physical edge and he scored a ton of goals this year, but he does play with better linemates at ES.

Homer voted Wilson, but any team would love to have either player.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If Anderson had Ovechkin and Backstrom....

This wouldnt be close

I always see people putting down Wilson's performance because he plays with Ovechkin and Backstrom/Kuznetsov but the truth of the matter is it's not just a plug and play situation where the 1RW on the Caps automatically becomes a point machine. When Wilson was suspended that position was a revolving door. Historically it has been a hard role to fill. Wilson is very good on that line and creates a ton of time and space for 8 and 19/92 with his speed, skill, and physicality. I'm not saying that Anderson couldn't be effective playing with 8 and 19/92 but it's far from a given that he'd do as well as Wilson has.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I always see people putting down Wilson's performance because he plays with Ovechkin and Backstrom/Kuznetsov but the truth of the matter is it's not just a plug and play situation where the 1RW on the Caps automatically becomes a point machine. When Wilson was suspended that position was a revolving door. Historically it has been a hard role to fill. Wilson is very good on that line and creates a ton of time and space for 8 and 19/92 with his speed, skill, and physicality. I'm not saying that Anderson couldn't be effective playing with 8 and 19/92 but it's far from a given that he'd do as well as Wilson has.
Im not trying to say anyone can play in that position. Wilson has skill and is a for sure middle-6 talent who id want on the 3rd line if Im contending... but Anderson produces similarly without the added stardom on his line and just happens to have more skill, but less snarl.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Im not trying to say anyone can play in that position. Wilson has skill and is a for sure middle-6 talent who id want on the 3rd line if Im contending... but Anderson produces similarly without the added stardom on his line and just happens to have more skill, but less snarl.

He just won a Cup as a 1RW and he's played on the top line two years in a row for a team that's won four straight division titles but you'd have him as 3RW on a contending team? How does that work?

Anderson also gets easier matchups as a result of not having to play the other team's top defensemen and top forwards on a nightly basis so that production argument goes both ways, I would think.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
He just won a Cup as a 1RW and he's played on the top line two years in a row for a team that's won four straight division titles but you'd have him as 3RW on a contending team? How does that work?

Anderson also gets easier matchups as a result of not having to play the other team's top defensemen and top forwards on a nightly basis so that production argument goes both ways, I would think.
Good point with the favorable matchups but at the same time Ovechkin and Backstrom physically draws those matchups more than Wilson, so in contrast Wilson could have more free ice than Anderson.

Also I know yall won with him as 1RW, and he did really well. But were arguing which player would be better and by saying Id have Wilson as a 3RW vs a 2RW like Anderson. Its more of preference and my view on their skills

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Anderson, mostly because for that type of player I would much rather have the better contract to get the same element of play.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
It's crazy how fast this poll went from a decently large margin for Wilson to Anderson based on 3 playoff games lol. Not saying he doesn't deserve it moreso just an indictment on HF Boards recency bias.

Reactions: Dr John Carlson

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's crazy how fast this poll went from a decently large margin for Wilson to Anderson based on 3 playoff games lol. Not saying he doesn't deserve it moreso just an indictment on HF Boards recency bias.

Well that and half the folks here haven't watched Anderson for more than a few minutes in their life, until the last 4 games. Anderson just lowered his name-visibility disadvantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad