Tom Wilson late hit on Mark Jankowski

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
The usual NHL standard for late is above 0.6 seconds. This was about 0.75. Let's no go crazy here.
So 25% later than allowed. It was blatantly late. Hitting Jankowski did absolutely nothing to help the Capitals. It was completely unnecessary and exactly the sort of crap that the NHL needs to get rid of.

Reactions: sanscosm

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
So 25% later than allowed. It was blatantly late. Hitting Jankowski did absolutely nothing to help the Capitals. It was completely unnecessary and exactly the sort of crap that the NHL needs to get rid of.
We should also long term jail anyone who drives 75-80 in a 65 I take it? After all they got a ticket, they broke the law. Send em to jail. Hell death penalty em. They broke the law. They even got a ticket as proof!

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish

If I read any teams game day thread, it’s full of comments like “I don’t mind the 2 min penalty to send a message” or “glad someone showed some fight” or “I’ll take that any day of the week” or “I like angry (insert player name)” .... when it’s your team doing the hitting.

opposing player hits your guy? it’s “omg that was so unnecessary” or “that’s 5 all day” or “there’s no room in the game for stuff like that”

read the teams individual game day threads, it hilarious. You cheer and want your guys to do what Wilson does .... but can’t handle it when it’s done to your team.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
This is hockey - not UFC. You are probably missing the part that you are not supposed to hit a player without the puck? You know, in hockey you are supposed to move a black thing called puck with sticks and try to shoot it into a net. Preferrable the opponents net. If you dont have the black thing, the opponents shouldnt be hitting you. It is a rule in this. A rule means something like: This you can do and this you cannot!

Capiche?

Tell this to forwards on the forecheck who hit defenseman well after they've gotten rid of puck. Let's get 5 minute majors and suspensions for all of them too!

Reactions: Another AZ

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
.15 of a second is blatantly late? Use your phones stopwatch function and see how fast you start and stop it

Reactions: Another AZ

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
If I read any teams game day thread, it’s full of comments like “I don’t mind the 2 min penalty to send a message” or “glad someone showed some fight” or “I’ll take that any day of the week” or “I like angry (insert player name)” .... when it’s your team doing the hitting.

opposing player hits your guy? it’s “omg that was so unnecessary” or “that’s 5 all day” or “there’s no room in the game for stuff like that”

read the teams individual game day threads, it hilarious. You cheer and want your guys to do what Wilson does .... but can’t handle it when it’s done to your team.

No I don't want my guys to hit people really late. I don't mind hard hits that are part of playing hockey. This hit was not that. There was no hockey reason to do it. Wilson just wanted to hit him so he did, illegally.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
.15 of a second is blatantly late? Use your phones stopwatch function and see how fast you start and stop it
I watched the damn play. The puck was nowhere near the hit and there was nothing gained as far as trying to win the game by the hit. It was totally unnecessary and exactly the sort of hit that needs to be out of the game.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
And just to be clear, if Wilson had hit a guy who actually had the puck like that I'd have no problem with the hit. But that isn't what happened.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Right, because way after you have the puck you should still think some idiot is going to hit you for no good reason.
Of course you’re supposed to think that?
It’s a hockey game. You’re supposed to be ready to be hit at all times and know that there’s no such thing as a safe time to catch a breath and assume there’s no contact coming.

That’s one of the more ridiculous comments I’ve seen on a hockey board. After you release the puck is the time you have to pay the most attention.

And it’s only WAY late in slow motion.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
No I don't want my guys to hit people really late. I don't mind hard hits that are part of playing hockey. This hit was not that. There was no hockey reason to do it. Wilson just wanted to hit him so he did, illegally.
Yes there was, but you don't like it. That hit made the Capitals focus on their game and not on the missed calls early by the referees, and turned the game into a playoff environment. Caps played and skated harder and said "f*** if the refs won't call things", rather than deflating, and won the game. They stayed under referee scrutiny (and even your GDT had posts admitting the Caps were getting the business from the refs that day) and well behind in the penalty differential, but kept working and earning their ice rather than hoping the refs would suddenly notice.

I'm sure Wilson would have fought instead but I imagine it's hard finding a Penguin who still wants any of that, and two minutes is better than 5. The "reason" is for his team, same as the reason most of us still say throwing your equipment off and punching a guy in the head has hockey reasons behind it.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Would be a good, clean hit if Jankowski would have the puck. Now its late and predatory against an opponent who isnt expecting it. Theese hits should always get a 5+ game suspension. Its hits like theese that have no part in the game. The only purpose of the hit is to hurt and could result in serious injury. It also has nothing to do with the gameplay...
Any hit .15 of a second or later being a suspension would leave a lot of teams fielding ECHL teams or forfeiting games.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
I watched the damn play. The puck was nowhere near the hit and there was nothing gained as far as trying to win the game by the hit. It was totally unnecessary and exactly the sort of hit that needs to be out of the game.
The puck was nowhere near the hit because Jankowski did something unanticipated and Wilson hit him a fraction of a second late.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
...what? What head hunting? There's literally no head contact. What are you talking about? Did you click on the wrong video or something?

:huh:

I meant head hunting figuratively speaking. It was an unneeded cheap shot penalty that could have resulted in a major injury.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
theres nothing better than reading page after page of the tom wilson anti-defamation league posting like they dont care if people hate TW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->